Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What is the law regarding mobile phone use whilst driving?

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2003, 02:59 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am a keen cyclist, and use my bike regularly to commute to work. I've noticed an increasing number of people using their phones whilst they're driving. The other day I even noticed a woman on her phone taking down notes in a book on her lap, and reading from another book on the passenger seat. Someone on one of the cycling forums recently posted a link to a report that concluded that reaction times of people driving and using their phones could be as much as four times those of someone driving normally. the article pointed out this was worse than driving whilst being over the legal alcohol limit. I don't have the link, and don't know how accurate it was but basically I can see the point it was trying to make!

A friend was recently stopped for using her phone and was fined £30, and that was it. No points.

Is anyone going to crack down on this, or is it just going to carry on? On a 20 mile roundtrip commute I see A LOT of people on their phones so I don't think they're getting stopped and if they are, a £30 fine isn't much of a deterrant!

Sorry for the rant, but it annoys me.
Old 04 March 2003, 03:03 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
They can be done for Due Care & Attention or possibly Dangerous Driving

I think the law is being tightened up in this regard so that use of a mobi AT ALL whilst driving is an offense (inc h/sets & voice free)
Old 04 March 2003, 03:07 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Voice free phones ?

I know what you mean PTMW

AFAIK they (government I think) are trying to pass a law that will effectively ban the use of mobile phones in cars, with the exception of permanently fixed hands free kits

This means hard wired into speakers, and fixed cradle for the phone, but will not include Bluetooth, as these will allegedly be banned too

If anyone can clarify, it would be appreciated

Steve
Old 04 March 2003, 03:12 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

It would just be nice to think that people were a bit more aware of their surroundings. I love riding my bike, but commuting is a lot more stressful than a Sunday ride down country lanes!
Old 04 March 2003, 03:46 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
As far as I am aware It can only be 'Driving without due care' and for that you would need to do something whilst you were on your phone....such as hit the curb or veer into the other lane to committ the offence.

They are going to find it hard to make 'driving a car whilst using a mobile' an offence as where does this leave police/fire/ambulance who need to use radios and mobiles as they drive to the jobs. They will not be able to have one rule for one and not for the other and they can not seriously expect emergency crews to pull over everytime their radio sounds.

Also there's the thing about eating whilst driving - surly this must be just as bad as using the mobile....and what about smoking??
Old 04 March 2003, 04:06 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Not in proper control of vehicle.
Old 04 March 2003, 04:10 PM
andycrowther
Scooby Regular

depends if you get seen...and if you've got the rear windows tinted they can't see from behind....saved me a few times.
Old 04 March 2003, 04:33 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

I don't want to sound like a bore, and I am not the sort that thinks everything should be legislated against. But this seems to have gone unnoticed. You get points for 35mph in a 30 zone, but nothing for this. I'd rather people were passing by me at 35, than 30 whilst using their phones and not paying any attention. I suppose there are more important things to worry about, but it does get to me sometimes. It just seems selfish.
Old 03 April 2003, 04:05 PM
Mojo
Scooby Regular

Good point Felix
I've often wondered about smoking whilst driving... the amount of times I've nearly been run into the back of because the driver has been busy lighting up or fumbling for a new cig instead of noticing that the traffic in front is stopping!!!
Put it this way, I'd rather drop a mobile in my lap in an emergancy than something that was on fire!!
Just a point of view you understand.

Mojo

[Edited by Mojo - 3/4/2003 5:06:35 PM]