Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone been to Sorrento, Italy

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2003, 07:49 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Booked yesterday to go in summer. Fancy visiting Rome too. Anyone know how far it is from Sorrento. We'd travel by train.
Old 02 March 2003, 10:09 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Went there a couple of years ago, love Italy, Rome is 4 hrs by coach so prob half or less by train, Capri is about half hour (cant remember) by ferry, Positano and Amalfi are about 1 hr by bus, bus tickets are bought from shops not on the bus unless its changed, amazing how people are different in other countries, lads dressed up at night with shades on, one foot on their lambretta eating ice cream, i remember on the train to Pompeii there were some dodgy characters off there heads shouting, never gave us any probs, goes through a pretty rough area on the way but you will have a great time Italy is top.

Rome map
part 1 here

part 2 here

[Edited by LeeMac - 3/3/2003 1:19:08 PM]

[Edited by LeeMac - 3/3/2003 1:20:11 PM]
Old 03 March 2003, 09:11 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Do it, Rome is incredible & the Amalfi coast is just stunning - (we stayed here - http://www.manniellohotels.it/royal/ukprincipale.html)
Pompeii is an essential trip (get a guide, it's well worth it.)

D
Old 03 March 2003, 10:50 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Went to Sorrento many many many years ago, loved it, very nice.

Rome is, umm, well, can't remember how far away, think it was about an hour on a coach,but it was a long time ago.

Not sure what it's like over there now, but when i went I loved it.
Old 03 March 2003, 11:00 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Link below shows 164 miles & allows three hours for the journey, (a tad optimistic IMHO as Naples airport is a good hour.)

http://www.greenflag.co.uk/uk_motoring/routeplanner/directions.asp?AD2_O=&AD3_O=rome&AD4_O=ITA&AD2_D=& AD3_D=sorrento&AD4_D=ITA&AD2_1=&AD3_1=&AD4_1=GBR&A D2_2=&AD3_2=&AD4_2=GBR&PCT=FAST&DU=MI&driveStyle=t extDrive&PDT=ST

D
Old 03 March 2003, 01:12 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

Really enjoyed Sorrento. You must go to Pompeii (it was better than I thought it would ever be.

Do NOT go to Naples - its like Hell only worse

Matt
Old 03 March 2003, 01:36 PM
Amen Corner
Scooby Regular

Smile

If you have the time, try to get to Herculaneum. Better than Pompeii in many ways, since it was preserved by a vulcanic mud slide rather than by the ash. The result is that unlike in Pompeii much of the wood was preserved so you can see the buildings with doors/ furniture rather than as burnt out shells. The Circumvesuvia train is pretty cool for visiting all of these places as well as linking Sorrento to Naples.

Naples is a hell hole, especially in the area immediately around the railway station. But there is loads of amazing stuff that they pulled out of Pompeii and Herculaneum in the museum there, so it is worth a visit if you're into that sort of thing.

As for Rome - beautiful city, but beware of thieving gypsy kids who come up to you with bits of cardboard and try to pick your pockets underneath it. In fact, be aware of pickpockets generally.
The area around the station is also a bit dodgy. In my student days I stayed in a hotel there and was held up at gunpoint in the lift
Old 03 March 2003, 10:30 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thank you all very much for your information and interest.

Nick
Old 03 March 2003, 10:45 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I'll third that recommendation to avoid Naples - was there during the summer and found it very shady. Felt v unsafe walking about the streets, and not helped by the mental traffic either.
Walked about the streets for about 45 minutes before leaving and in that time saw a mini-riot and had shady looking locals driving along the pavements on mopeds towards us

Not recommended
Old 04 March 2003, 12:51 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Naples, went there in June 02 and can say i felt safe, great place, i was on a cruise that stopped there so very near the port and really worth a look, only there a couple of hours and think it was a sunday, every city has dodgy places and this seemed ok to me at the time, cant remember where we were but near a massive square.