Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2003, 02:25 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

anyone got one ?

- what games as standard ?
- infra red port ? if not, is the cable same as a 3310 ?
- wot size jpg's does it take ?

any cgeneral comments/experience of the phone appreciated.

cheers
Old 25 February 2003, 02:33 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Games as standard: Backgammon, Sky Diver, and Racket.
For the small price of a wap call you can get Mikis World (Mario like), Air Glide (waste of time) and bowling (cool)
It'll take Jpg's, BMP's and Gif's, but they have to be under 30k. Preferably a multiple of 96x65 to fit the screen nicely (I have the FHM Willow from Buffy pictures on mine )

Exact picture used
No infrared port and 'friad not on the cable, the conenctions are on the other side (you can always rewire the cable if daring)
Good little phone, the battery has a standby time of 13 days!!!.
I fully charged it last tuesday night, made about 10 calls, sent around 20 txt's, played a few games on it, surfed wap for a little whil, never switched the phone off, and it's only just gone onto it's last power bar.
you can multimedia message on current PAYT schemes (comming soon), but you can on pay monthly schemes.
The polyphonic ringtones are just midi files Got loads to download. shame it has no composer, but then, 10p to download a tone via wap.
You can set pictures as the background wallpaper.
I love it, much better than my old 3310.
Have I covered everything?

[Edited by PiNkEyE69 - 2/25/2003 2:39:11 PM]

[Edited by PiNkEyE69 - 2/25/2003 2:41:37 PM]
Old 25 February 2003, 03:00 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

cheers pinkeye, v helpful. hows it rate size wise to the 3310 ?

any facility fer storing notes ? how bout a calendar ? nokia site advertises sommat like time activated profiles - is this like the 3310 profiles which kick in at certain times ?

what about software support - wot yer usin to get pics/midi files to it ? logomanager ?
Old 25 February 2003, 03:21 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Size wise, it's marginally longer but thinner, and a lot lighter.
I has a good calender mode (called organiser), you can add daily notes and reminders.
The profile thing is still there, where you can customise the time of the profile is activated.
I upload jpg's and mid files to webspace and put the url into the wap browser. it says it's found a file (or ringtone) and downloads it.
You can also download java applets to it, like etch-a-sketch (you have to see it ).
If you ring a number to get a polyphonic ringtone to your phone, unlike the 3310/30's when they would send it as a message they send you a url you have to goto to download the tone.
I got lots of game files for them like pacman, arkanoid, bust-a-move, but they take a lot of work to get a download working.
Logomanager says it supports it but my mate hasn't got his working yet with a data cable.

[Edited by PiNkEyE69 - 2/25/2003 3:22:29 PM]
Old 25 February 2003, 03:38 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Cool

god damn, think yer've just made my mind up

one more thing - where'd yer get the games from ? club nokia (presume yer have to pay to get credits to get games) or are there free applets to download from various sites ?

cheers
Old 25 February 2003, 04:01 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You can get games from club nokia, and the Software Market (both which are included as bookmarks in the phone's wap links.)
Searching the web will find you others.
I have some links jotted down at home if needed (for ringtones as well), only cost the price of a wap call (usually 10p per minute on PAYT schemes, dunno about Pay monthy schemes)
Are you looking to buy the just phone or a new phone on a new contract?
Old 25 February 2003, 04:09 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Question

i dont do contracts. got a 3330 pay as yer go on o2. want to be able to get an o2 pay as yer go 3510i and simply swap the sim over from my 3330.

did u do this from your 3310 ?
Old 25 February 2003, 04:18 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm on vodafone.
They had a deal that if you buy a new payt phone from them they'll port all of your information from your existing sim to the new one (so basically you'll have 2 sims with the same number, but they disable connection on the old one).
If you have existing o2 phone then a new o2 phone will take the sim, always better to ask, they may do a deal becuase you're keeping with them (vodafone gave me £20 of calling credit).
The only thing my 3310 had that the 3510i doesn't is a composer, but:
a) there a java application you can get which is a rough composer.
b) ever tried to make a polyphonic ringtone?

Another thing, make sure it's the 3510i you're after, the 3510 has the standard green display, not colour like the 3510i. I think the 3510i is about £129-£149 on a PAYT scheme depending where you buy it.

Phones 4U advertise just the fone (no sim, so you can put your one in) on their website for £139, but in the shop the guy says it's £149 and they have to go by the price in the manual (£149), I argued some trading standards malarky about differing prices and he got a bit irate, so I went next door to vodafone, bought the fone for £149 (with £20 of calling credit), and walked back into the phones 4u shop, said to the guy "it's not the price that drove me to but next doore, and I've just spent the same money next door, it's the principle" and walked out

[Edited by PiNkEyE69 - 2/25/2003 4:20:34 PM]
Old 25 February 2003, 04:42 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Also, if you like texting - it holds around 45 txt messages before the inbox gets full
That's a good month's worth for me
Funny ascii message however don't work as it displays 1 more line than the older nokia's, so the picture goes out of sync.
Old 26 February 2003, 12:00 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

> I upload jpg's and mid files to webspace and put the url into
> the wap browser. it says it's found a file (or ringtone) and
> downloads it

havin bother gettin this workin - just says not found. i've put a file up (http://www.riftzone.fsnet.co.uk/3510i/3510.jpg) - can yer please see if u can download it.

ta.
Old 26 February 2003, 12:42 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Pinkeye69 - I've just got a 3510 for the young 'un (not the colour version, btw) and was wondering how to get polyphonic tones on it. Is there a size limit for the midi files ? And where would I be able to bag some from ? I have some webspace I can up them to so that shouldn't be a problem.

Old 26 February 2003, 05:53 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

pinkeye - are u there. also tried creatin a wap site to stick pics on but wont take pics over 1k - http://riftzone.mywap.genie.co.uk/

how i do get images from my pc to the phone - does the site have to be wap. if not, how, *pleez*...
Old 26 February 2003, 08:54 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Sorry, didn't see your post.

tones can be found here and here
browse trhe site on your pc to find tones you want, then type the url into the wap browser (it tells you what url to type what for tone) and go.

getting piccys is the same way.
Note that a wap browser is case sensitive. I found that out when I put pictures in a \WAP directory
I managed to download your piccy to my phone.

[Edited by PiNkEyE69 - 2/26/2003 8:59:14 PM]
Old 26 February 2003, 09:33 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Question

cheers pinkeye - just to clarify, am i puttin the full path to the jpg in, or just to the folder or does it not matter ?

this is done from just the wap browser not from gallery services or anywhere daft ?

cheers
Old 26 February 2003, 10:08 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

has to be full path and file name, making sure case is correct.
Then it should say "image recieved" and you can save it to the gallery on the phone.

Old 27 February 2003, 09:24 AM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

cheers again pinkeye. we're tryin this on a mates phone (he's on one2one) and still cant get it workin, however, he is gettin some dodgy results with other sites so its either his phone or network i suspect.

should pick up my o2 payg today (if I can find somewhere with some stock !)
Old 27 February 2003, 10:00 AM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I had it where I went to the wap version of digidots.co.uk and tried to get a tone and it just kept displaying the menu again instead of downloading (didn't give an error). I found that clearing the cache on the phone (it's in the services menu somewher, and switching the fone off and on again cured it (much like windows )

Glad to be of help.

The other thing to note is AFAIK PAYT schemes do no support multimedia messaging at this time, do you cannot send/recieve new pictures/polyphonic ringtones from other phones (old picture messages and tones like the 3310 had are still ok I think).
Hopefully it'll be up and running soon once they've sorted out a price and upgraded the network.
Old 28 February 2003, 12:40 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

pinkeye, one last question - wot format of midi do they take ? a bog standard one doesnt work - unrecognised format...

cheers again
Old 08 April 2003, 07:40 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
hmmmm how do i connet to the Wap with the 3510i.... ???
Old 08 April 2003, 08:04 PM
Chris J
Scooby Regular

if you go onto the nokia website, you can get them to send you a message which sets up the service (WAP). after thats done, just go to the service option, and either go to home, or type in the address of the page you want.

As you can tell I don't use it much, and so it might not make too much sense.

Chris
Old 08 April 2003, 10:16 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

i can get into the wap bit.. i had to change the sevice O2 WapGSM instead of the O2 Wap GPRS setting.
Is that correct?????
whats GPRS anyway???

I'm still on my Genie £20 per month Tariff of FREE Unlimited Text and FREE unlimited WAP Net access, 100mins of anytime calls.
I've already down loaded the Bowling game!!

How does the FREE NET access effect me on this fone? just the same as the 3330 i had?

Old 09 April 2003, 09:31 AM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Wink

salsa - sounds like your sim aint gprs enabled - had the same bother. easily done by calling the network provider, or in the case of o2, mail them via the website.

gprs - only pay for the amount u download, not the connection time. dont suppose it matters if yer've got free wap...

btw, for a cool background, point yer wap browser at http://glorindar.dyndns.org/dan/swrt.jpg, download the pic and set as wallpaper....
Old 09 April 2003, 12:53 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

cheers.. but FREE unlimited Wap.. from my £20 a month Genie account .. i can be on as long as i like
can't i???

this was why i waited till O2 allowed me to upgrade without having to change my tariff.
Even the guy on the fone when i called them said i'd be silly to swap to an other tariff cost.

whats the pic??

Old 09 April 2003, 01:02 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Talking

download it and see....
Old 09 April 2003, 01:16 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

done it.
looks wicked.

where can you find more?

can u use turbo sport as a host to upload pix.. then get the http address from it and put it on your phone??

Phil

Old 09 April 2003, 01:33 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

salsa - cool, looks better with a blue colour scheme tho

in theory, any valid url to a pic should work, but i just get 'page not found' when i try to use my freeserve space, hence usin my mates iis box.

lemme know if yer get any more cool ones. tricky if the background isnt white - cos when yer resize it to 96x64, yer always seem to get a white line on one side eg http://glorindar.dyndns.org/dan/myscoob.jpg
Old 09 April 2003, 01:37 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

here, salsa, how the **** do yer get the time in the top right ?! only way i can get the time on mine is with that feckin screen saver which i have to set between 1 and 60 minutes and cant turn off !! bugs the hell outta me !

btw, poor signal yer got there mate
Old 09 April 2003, 02:35 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Goto menu, settings, Time & Date Settings, Clock, Show Clock.
Old 09 April 2003, 02:38 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

bad signal here

go to settings.. go to time.. then turn off the hide clock,

the blessed clock screen saver is a pain.. i've set it to 60mins!

also the dark screen!!! you hav to press a button to get it to light up so you can see it!!

not as clear to read when not lit as the 3330

Phil
Old 09 April 2003, 02:41 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Doesn't help if you have a black background either as you can't change the text colour for the menu, Names, and Time bits on the display