Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

"Nice Little Runaround for the Missus"(!)

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2001, 04:28 PM
GregD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any recommendations out there on a (ahem) sensible second car for the other half? Needs to be 5 doors, under £10K new, cheap insurance.. Clio, 206, Polo or Yaris are shortlisted (my better half wouldn't let me look at the new Mini as it's non kid-friendly!!). Car Supermarkets (Trade Sales etc) seem to have the best deals for the money. Anyone had any good or bad experiences on these cars, suggest anything else, been caught out on non scoob Euro imports?
Old 20 August 2001, 05:04 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by GregD:
<B>Any recommendations out there on a (ahem) sensible second car for the other half? Needs to be 5 doors, under £10K new, cheap insurance.. Clio, 206, Polo or Yaris are shortlisted (my better half wouldn't let me look at the new Mini as it's non kid-friendly!!). Car Supermarkets (Trade Sales etc) seem to have the best deals for the money. Anyone had any good or bad experiences on these cars, suggest anything else, been caught out on non scoob Euro imports?[/quote]

I would advise to go with the Yaris. Low insurance, cheap to run and maintain......

My other half has one on order. Talk to Ian at Litchfield Imports (check banner) and he can get full UK spec ones at a good price.

Dave
Old 20 August 2001, 05:07 PM
GregD
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dave
Old 20 August 2001, 09:49 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Wife's ordered a new Yaris 1 litre 5 door to replace her P reg micra. Insurance goes down from 300 quid to 200 and the fuel computer said it did 60mpg around town.

servicing is 60 quid every 10K miles, and 130 quid every 20K miles or 2 years
Old 21 August 2001, 08:37 AM
blubell
Scooby Regular

Smile

What a bunch of meanies...let your wives have fun cars....the kids will love going round corners at speed and blapping past other cars
Old 21 August 2001, 09:22 AM
frisby
Scooby Regular

greg,

If you go for an import, go the yaris route, 3 yr manufacturer warranty....sorted.

Quite a long delivery time but usually available from stock if you know where to go

Only difference to UK vehicle would be the alarm, as the cat 1 alarm is fitted in Portbury by Toyota UK, so imports haven't got it fitted.

laters

fris
Old 21 August 2001, 09:46 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get one of those "new sporty Vauxhall Corsas", your wife can "coax her through a series of demanding S-bends".

Steve.
Old 21 August 2001, 05:11 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL, If I had a hubby who wanted to buy me a car like that, he would be out the door!!!!

I must be a new generation woman............!!

Michelle

Silver WRX MY94 various mods
Old 21 August 2001, 05:17 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MichelleWRX1994:
<B>LOL, If I had a hubby who wanted to buy me a car like that, he would be out the door!!!!

I must be a new generation woman............!!

Michelle

Silver WRX MY94 various mods[/quote]

yeah but my other/better half is 20 with no previous insurance. i would love her to buy a scoob but insurance - yyeeeeeoooooouuuwwwccchhhhhhh.

still i am sure i can have the yaris sideways when she is not looking - hehehe
Old 21 August 2001, 05:39 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ah, but I was 21 when I got my scooby (22 now)!!!!
With no NCB!!!!
Bought it myself I might add, must be my pride, but I would prefer to buy a car myself than have someone buy it for me.
No help from parents either.
Financed under my own name, no guarantor.

I have that car sideways no matter who is looking!

Michelle

Proud owner of silver WRX MY94 various mods
Old 21 August 2001, 05:44 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a Peugeot 406 3.0 litre 24 valve V6 saloon for the wife with spoiler, upgraded alloys, and subtle but nice front and rear sport pack bumpers. 194bhp, 200lbft, 0-60 6.9, 0-100 19.4 top 149mph and she gets 30mpg+ from it! Leather, cruise, climate, CD, (new speakers and amp by me) etc etc. Incredibly refined and smooth, with pretty nice handling. Superb for long journeys. 34000 miles, all for £7000 - i.e £2700 to upgrade from similar age Fiesta 1.4 Zetec. Downsides are that is slightly steep on insurance (Grp 16). Good points are that it is a superb long-distance car, and an occasional change for me from the Scooby if I have to work in a dodgy area where I couldn't leave the Scooby. I would certainly not buy a small tinny car again - and the Yaris is certainly that in comparison when you compare the noise levels, performance, refinement and ride quality. Buying at this age means very cheap running costs in terms of depreciation - it has already done it all. Maybe you need a supermini - but IMHO there are much better choices for a second car - something slightly unfashionable can be exceedingly good value.
Old 21 August 2001, 06:23 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

I do agree with you John. I wanted a second scoob, Puma etc etc. But it was her choice. She likes ickle not very powerful cars that are cheap to run. She does'nt feel safe driving faster cars.

Oh and it has to be in yellow too

Wife turned up at a scoob meet with her Micra. It drew more attention that the P1's as scoobychick, ChrisL and Rebecca can testify.
Old 21 August 2001, 10:24 PM
GregD
Scooby Regular

Thanks Everyone. Yaris sounds a good bet - Didn't know about the standard 3 year warranty. Is this just on Euro (ie non Japanese) imports?

Blubell & Michelle - you're right, my Missus would much prefer something sportier (and would fund it herself!) - an S2000 was on her original shortlist.. Impending Motherhood (4 weeks and counting to the new arrival) has put the Kaibosh on that! "Practical" is the new buzzword round our place...

Greg
Old 21 August 2001, 10:33 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I think those new Fiat Puntos (3dr) look cracking in yellow. You can get them with a stepped CVT which gives you a 7-speed 'click up to change up, click down to change down' box (a la touring cars). 7th is geared for around 35mph per 1000 rpm, and they're only 1.2 litres!
Old 22 August 2001, 03:23 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by GregD:
<B>Blubell & Michelle - you're right, my Missus would much prefer something sportier (and would fund it herself!) - an S2000 was on her original shortlist.. Impending Motherhood (4 weeks and counting to the new arrival) has put the Kaibosh on that! "Practical" is the new buzzword round our place...

Greg[/quote]

But the Scoob IS practical, nice 4 foor family saloon, or 5 door hatchback, enough power to get you out of trouble Plenty of room for shopping and good for baby seats, my cousins fits better in my scoob than in her litle Uno.

PERFICK, I say go for a scoob , but then again, I would

Michelle.
Old 22 August 2001, 09:00 AM
blubell
Scooby Regular

<B>
Impending Motherhood (4 weeks and counting to the new arrival) has put the Kaibosh on that! "Practical" is the new buzzword round our place...

Greg[/quote]

In that case she definitely needs to be spoilt as she will be spending lots of time driving round the block to get the little darling off to sleep

Old 23 August 2001, 12:25 AM
GregD
Scooby Regular

I'd love to run 2 Scoobs but I get it in the neck enough about the one I've got now ("insurance is HOW much, why do you insist on putting in Super Unleaded?" !!).

I can see me in a Legacy estate in a couple of years time with the wife in something small and sporty.. Wish Subaru UK would launch the hot Legacies over here...
Old 23 August 2001, 02:06 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I bought my (now ex) fiancee a Nissan Sunny GTIR (please note UK spec!) uprated the brakes and put some sounds in it for her.

3 months later, I'm single, she has twin exit 4" exhausts, a nice chip, sequential blow off valve, 17" alloys (which scrubbed like anything...heh heh heh) and 320bhp :-(

There is probably a moral to this story, but I have no idea what it is. Current other half flies jets like a nutter....so she thinks cars are boring.
Old 23 August 2001, 03:32 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm with Michelle on this, 5 door scoob is practile. Suzy tends to nick the blackbeast whenever she can, she's a right girl racer!

she has a nice sensible volvo 760 GLE, 2.8 V6, not too slow, but drinks like a pi$$ed fish, worse mpg than the scooby!

If we had to get a sensible car then the Yaris might feature but i think that given the price of a new car, vs price of used jap import it'd be a jap import for her, maybe a nice Nissan Stagea!