Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Taken up Kuk Sool..How do I get flexible?

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2003, 01:11 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've recently taken up Kuk Sool which is a Koren Martial Art and I'm loving it. Lots of types of fitness and I'm learning some interesting self-defense techniques. However, I'm quite possibly the least flexible guy in the UK I've been doing a lot of stretching out with class and my flexibility is gradually improving but I don't really know much about stretching so I'd appreciate any tips on how to get really flexible. What is the science of flexibility, how long does it take, etc?

Cheers,

Kenny
Old 25 February 2003, 01:17 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

SB.....Drop TurboKitty a line. She can help you.
Old 25 February 2003, 01:23 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Streaching, lots of streaching.
I found when I took up Tae Kwon Do that it's good to concentrate on one area of the body at a time.
For instance lots of leg streaches and exercises, then follow up with arms/shoulders, then waist (although order isn't relevant).
Hold a streach for at least 5-10 seconds (alternating sides) is good. I found that after a good streaching session I got to the point where i could do a front split and almost touch the floor with my..er..groin .
Take some simple leg, arm streaches, do them twice a day, and you've get there.
Remeber, don't overdo it though, otherwise you might get a hernia or pull something (like I did at one belt grading, pulled a hamstring - still carried on and got my belt though, couldn't train for a month or so afterwards while it healed )
Old 25 February 2003, 01:24 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You'll notice it gradually mate...

All your warm-up exercises should provide this and you'll notice that you'll bend further and further each time.

A good general rule of practise is to use your stretches in every-day life. ie. I found horse riding stance a great way to keep your *** hovering over dodgy toliet seat lids and then adopted it as general practise. Believe you me, if you are constipated then nothing will strengthen your thighs etc like that will

Kung-fu is a bit different but I would take to practise stances etc ie. one leg out the car then don't put your left leg down until you are out the car. General day-to-day adopting of these sort of things should really help.

Remember to breath properly when stretching

PS When more pressure is applied in the locks etc you'll soon find the flexibility increases ....... just prior to 'snapping'
Old 25 February 2003, 01:33 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

SB

You really do need to get those muscles warmed up before stretching.
Get to the class early, warm up and do some light stretching before and, once the class is over mild stretch again.

At home, do some skipping [5-10 mins initially] then, some squats [with no weights] say 4 sets of 50 at a medium pace with 30 second rest between.
Legs should be ok for a 20 minute stretching session in front of the tele.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the training.

Old 25 February 2003, 01:34 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Breathing? How should I be breathing when stretching
Old 25 February 2003, 01:37 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just like when you do a press-up... exhale when you push-up and in-hale as you head groundward

Your muscles need the oxygen especially when stretching and when you stretch sometimes the temptation is just to stop breathing..... keep your mind on it and breath deep/slow/regularly

Old 25 February 2003, 01:38 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Normally!

you should be totally relaxed when stretching [even during assisted stretching].
Or a long sigh should help you to relax the muscle also.
Old 25 February 2003, 01:46 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

SB,

I did TKD for 4 years and felt like you, the most inflexible guy there! I never had a problem with hamstring stretches, just side (box) splits, as everyone mentioned you just need to keep doing it. You can buy machines that help you do it but they are costly, check out martial arts illustrated (if its still around). I used to stand in front of my bed put my heels on two paperback books and lean forward onto the bed and let the books slide out to get into a split position! Just dont try and do too much its a slow process.

Gary
Old 25 February 2003, 01:49 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Better if you keep your back straight in box splits surely?
This way, when you kick there is less need to lean back so the attack [or defence] is not telegraphed.

Not a dig. Have been "re-taught" some kicking dynamics recently.
Old 25 February 2003, 01:55 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Another thing, should it hurt?

For example, it always makes me laugh when I see people in the gym working away with not a single grimace or bead of sweat. For muscles to grow you have to essentially rip the fibers which means to get big it has to hurt a little (especially if you work to failure) Does the same principal apply to stretching? I was watching TV last night and doing some stretching and I took each muscle to the point where it was 'just' unbearable (sp?) Is this the correct level? Everything feels ok today so I assume this isn't damaging.
Old 25 February 2003, 02:03 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

When stretching, any discomfort [for want of a better word] should be felt in the belly of the muscle.
If you feel it in your joints, particularly knees, you're going to do some damage.
When doing box splits get to a comfortable position [?] hold for 30 secs then go wider, hold for 30secs etc ...
Remember also some of the exercises, such as pancake splits are also for mobility of the hip joint.

Edited to suggest you have a look at Dynamic Stretching and Kicking by Bill "Superfoot" Wallace.
Some very good training routines in there.

[Edited by Bajie - 2/25/2003 2:04:59 PM]
Old 25 February 2003, 02:07 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I don't feel pain in my joints but my tendons are on fire and feel like they are about to snap!
Old 25 February 2003, 02:12 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

I had this problem when I first started karate.
When stretching go to your limit and then comback in an inch on each leg. You feel like you can do more but you have to get yourself used to it.
If you did a lot of weight training before taking up an art its gonna hurt unfortunately.
Old 25 February 2003, 02:12 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

That sounds quite serious Kenny

Meaning....... sounds like you are one seriously unfit lazy ******
Old 25 February 2003, 02:14 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Smile

lol@sipie
Old 25 February 2003, 02:33 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

My fence needs painting again

Si
Old 25 February 2003, 02:40 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i used a splits machine, used it every other day for a few months and got to box splits very easily.....just make sure you hold it for a decent length of time. when you stretch you muscle will tighten slightly as a reflex to stop you overdoing it, after a while this reflex relaxes and you can stretch further. if you only hold a stretch for 10 secs you wont get much past this relex.....or worse just bounce on it (footballer style) which causes even more tightening!
Old 25 February 2003, 02:51 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Note that bouncing on your limit is one of the worst things you can do.
Old 25 February 2003, 02:55 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

Talking

I used to be very flexible - front splits/box splits etc...not quite so good now after sitting at a desk for 4 years...

There is a technique whereby you stretch to the point of mild discomfort and then tense your muscles for about 3 seconds. when you relax them you will go a bit further. You then repeat this again to go a little further and so on. Overtime this will help you reach your goal.

You can do this by going down in a box split position and when you get as far as you can go, squeeze your legs together like the inside of your thighs are squeezig a swiss ball, when you relax you will go lower.

It's important to remember that stretching is a bit like meditating, you have to turn off the impulse to be tense and this will help you get flexible. To a certain extent it is all in the mind, but do make sure you are warm and try to do dynamic stretches as well. Also the stronger the muscles the more chance they will be able to support you - so get on that abductor machine at the gym (just make sure the mouse is in the house )

Best of luck

Richard
Old 25 February 2003, 03:45 PM
Mr evolution
Scooby Regular

Richards instructions sound like the method written by Gary Kurtz (s) whos book used to be advertised in Martial arts illustrated. Many martial artists I have spoken to say it is far and away the best method for rapidly gaining flexability and even after a month or two you can see big improvements (I did but was to fat and lazy to carry on) The book basically divides stretching into different types one which you do every day and only takes ten or fifteen minutes and one you do three times a week as described above by Richard which will leave you crippled for the whole of the next day.
Old 25 February 2003, 03:54 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers for the advice guys. Keep them tips coming in
Old 25 February 2003, 03:54 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

you are talking about PNF (Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation Stretching)

i always use to chuck some of this into my exercise classes....but i also got them to do abb work to the Rocky sound track so what do i know!
Old 25 February 2003, 04:06 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Instead the book by Gary Kurtz, get the video from Tom Kurz instead. It worked for a lot of my former students..
Old 25 February 2003, 04:25 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

PNF stretching that's it i've always been reasonably flexible so it wasn't too much of a stretch for me to adopt this approach but if you are really inflexible I would work up to it.

Don't try to do a full splits straight away using this technique, you should try to go down a little further each session but only by small amounts, eventually those small amounts will be your starting point. For examply I used to get to about 3 inches from the floor in box splits, using this tecehnique I could go flat. Exentually I could go to 2 inches/1 inch/0 inches easily.

Also don't forget to stretch your back -it also helps with lower body flexibility.

I'm not sure if this is the same as the Kurtz technique - never read the book/watched the video, but I did read somewhere that you hvae to be careful following him step by step as it can cause damage. Like everything if you push too hard something will snap!

Cheers

Richard
Old 25 February 2003, 05:05 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

You could try Yoga ?
good for body and mind apparently Some of the positions they get into on the vids
Done it a couple of times with the wife (for want of a better phrase)
Only thing is you cant eat Yorkies if you do it