Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

counter strike- the basics

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2001, 11:34 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

right, i'm getting counterstrike tommorrow but thats as much as i know!

do i buy half life and download cs or does it all come as one?

can i play with keyboard and mouse or do i needa j stick?

and when im ok at it how do i join an internet game or is that self explanatory once i've got it?

Tiggs
Old 18 August 2001, 08:34 AM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Cool

Tiggs

I bought the Game of the year edition(3cds)
in Comet last weekend for £9.98 they are doing a half price deal .
Just got to figure out to play it properly now .
I will say I played UT online after and could not keep up with the speed but that could be down to my age

Steve
Old 18 August 2001, 10:21 AM
14,500rpm
Scooby Regular

Cool

you will need a copy of
Old 18 August 2001, 10:59 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

Tiggs, welcome to CS - you'll not have time to do anything else once u start playing this totally addicitve game.

once your're up and running check out the threads i post regularly giving details of our next clan STi practice session. there are about 8 of us who regularly play including RR.

as 14,500 says definitely get a copy of Gamespy as u can then also see when friends are online and which server they are on. v useful feature.

if you need any help u can always icq me on 3147057. if u dont have icq u could do with getting this as well.
Old 18 August 2001, 11:05 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

cheers guys, im now unplugging my crappy modem and plugging in my broadband

then off to get cs, will let you know how i get on

tiggs
Old 18 August 2001, 12:01 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Tiggs,

Okay. Counter-Strike (CS) comes in two versions

The CS retail version. You buy from the shops with Half-Life (HL)

The CS mod version. You download this version if you already have HL. Don't worry both are near identical/compatiable.

So tommorrow, ask/buy the Half-Like/Counter-Strike retail pack. I think its about £19.99. If you don't buy counter-strike with Half-like, then yes, you will have to download the full Counter-Strike 'mod' version which is 80mb

Once you get home and installed HL/CS. You will need to go on the internet to update both games (HL/CS). HL patch can be download from
Old 18 August 2001, 06:59 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Steve,

Once I get the hang of playing CS I will come and find you guys.Initial impressions of the game are it seems a bit slow .
I will get ICQ back on my machine and find you and get some tips if thats ok

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve Lawson (edited 18 August 2001).]
Old 18 August 2001, 08:26 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

tiggs : got it all installed yet ?

steve : slow ? its different but i would not call it slow ? its a bit of a thinking / teamwork game like nothing else, incl CTF variants. i've been playing online since quake and CS is imho the best fps game out there. makes quake / kingpin / ut seem plain / boring by comparison

dont wait til u know more join us now and we'll help u learn the maps / weapons etc.

steve
Old 18 August 2001, 09:03 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

steve,

my broadband insterlation went pearshaped, had to wipe the pc and start from scratch

back now though so should be sorted with cs tomorrow.

tiggs

ps- took all day but this b/band is quickkkk!
Old 18 August 2001, 09:09 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

ok m8 c u tomorrow for a game then maybe..........

u got icq ?

steve
icq 3147057
Old 18 August 2001, 09:59 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

nope, where do i download icq from?

tiggs

don't worry, got it- ICQ 127672344

[This message has been edited by Tiggs (edited 18 August 2001).]
Old 18 August 2001, 10:19 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

C/S - Slow ?

Well in comparison to say UT I can see we it would seem slow. But that is what I like. Ut seemed just a manic free-for-all blasting anything that moved, if you die its no big deal cos you respawn instantly. I found it great fun - for a while.

With C/S *imho* there is far more room for a bit of thinking. Weapon slection depending on map, whether/when to rush or creep, etc. I just enjoy it more.

There are things which I find amazingly annoying. I'm sure the physics engine is in-consistent. Some nights, you only have to look at a player and bang, 1 head-shot & hes dead, other nights entire clips go into someones back, they turn and one shot later your dead.

Bunny Hoppers -- grrrhhh
Lag ---- Grrrhhhh
Cheaters --- Grrrhhhh

Nebwies - -Ahhhhh - the easy way to a good score (also BarryK when hes on the phone and you just have to sneak to his respawn point to kill him )

I found most games were pretty receptive to new guys. If you make a mistake and shoot one of your own (TW - Team Wounding, TK - Team Killing) just apologise - most will accept it. Theres always one or two juvenile ***** that won't but hey.

At the beginning you will most likely die fairly quickly use the "free" time to explore the map on free view, and follow the players at the top of the scores. Note where they look when they're running (i.e. behind every box and corner).

Use sound. Stop and listen. If the map has only a couple of people on it, you can hear people well before you can see them.

Oh and get a fast connection for the updates - theres a big one due soon which should fix a few bugs and give things like voice comms - which hopefully you can mute.

Deano
Old 18 August 2001, 10:21 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Red face

How does a broadband connection go so wrong you have to rebuild yor pc ????
Old 18 August 2001, 10:30 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

yeah i agree deano.

its certianly not slow but v different if you used to quake / kingpin etc which i was.

took me ages to get used to moving slow and not simply doing a spray and pray everytime !

vital u learn the weapons and to shoot in bursts of 2/3 shots with rifles especially.

agree too with your comment re: physics engine.

definitely use sound and listen to whats happening -esp doors opening and diff sounds for diff types of doors. dont have your fav cd playing at full volume whilst trying to play CS !

u'll only end up 'doing a bazza' - ie dead

steve

[This message has been edited by Steve Perriam (edited 18 August 2001).]
Old 19 August 2001, 12:28 AM
14,500rpm
Scooby Regular

Smile

low grav game is different cos once you have jumped, it takes a while for you to fall back to the ground, and during that time you are limited in movement - so can be a bit of a sitting target. its quite entertaining when an enemy and you run at each other and jump, firing at each other, and pass in mid air, turn, and continue firing as you head away from each other

DOD needs a bit of time to get used to, i did n't like it a first, but you grow to like it. did you play dod_caen? IMHO this is the best map of any mod, try it if you did n't. Opasia run two 24/7 caen servers

193.163.159.98:27300
193.163.159.106:27017

best if you have cable or dsl because its in denmark, ping might be a bit rubbish on dial-up.

i'll keep an eye on the CS threads, and join in if i can!

14,500rpm
Old 19 August 2001, 01:27 AM
14,500rpm
Scooby Regular

Talking

i'd love to partake of a game

BTW, has anyone tried the low gravity servers on uk2.net? very smart, you really have to change the way you play. italy is especially good, although spoilt by the fact you can't get on all the roofs as you could in the previous version you can find them here:

213.232.110.16:27065
213.232.110.16:27055

be warned, these two servers are FF, and there seems to be more TKing than average

i also feel the need to bring up Day of Defeat, a WW2 allies v germans HL mod, more info
Old 19 August 2001, 10:10 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

14,500 check out the threads for details-we've 2 games this week.

if u interested more long term join Barrysworold and then u can join the scoobynetters team.

nope never tried low grav game ? hows it different ?

i tried DOD once - didn't like it that much - went straight back to CS.

steve
Old 19 August 2001, 05:56 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

cs up and running at last

looks easy so far

tiggs
Old 20 August 2001, 10:42 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Angry

Now I'll have you know, when FF is on I am very particular about which team mates I shoot at and grenade head tennis, you know who you are!

Hey, I was the subject of a vote yesterday, should I be kicked or not. Ha ha ha. It was on a round of Assault, which I went on to win by killing the terrorist scum who were still breathing.

Unfortunately on some servers a firefight "fragfest" is all that a lot of players are after. The object of the game is forgotten and I am sick to death of people with the bomb defending the bomb site and running about without planting it. Similarly hostage rescue is getting rarer.

Me dying is getting rarer too.

UK2.NET advertise 16 "beginners" servers at
Old 20 August 2001, 01:52 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

yes i know who i am m8, thats y i dont go on your team if FF is on

y were u the subject of a vote ?

yep- very few players worry about the object of the game but prefer to 'win' by killing all the opposing team.

case in point yesterday on 747 - i rescued lots of hossies but was in a minority on the CT team. i still managed a couple good 747 scores even with rescuing hossies. would have been interesting to see some stats on my play last couple of days.

its worse on DE maps when often T's dont bother trying to set a bomb !

cya l8r

steve
Old 20 August 2001, 04:41 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
played CS for the first time yesterday (at a mates - he has adsl) (have played duke/quake/ut for years) and was very impressed! great team play - all the servers (about 3 or 4) i tried people were playing pucker games i.e. rescue hostages. bomb placement etc.

only drawback were cheats!!

when dead i followed the leaderboard top scorer and watched him, face walls when running around, come round corners and immediately shoot opposing player with a
real accurate shot. cheating methinks. asked friend about it and he said there were cheats where you can look through walls and have auto-aiming.

kinda ruins the games

is there anyway of knowing if other users on the server are cheating or do you just have to keep checking on the leaders??

(oh as soon as i accused the guy of cheating he left ASAP )

Old 20 August 2001, 04:51 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"auto aim"

no wonder i keep getting shot before i see the bloody shooter!

tiggs
Old 20 August 2001, 04:55 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

golly gosh, i'm excited. Gonna load halflife tonight and have a play about.... the wifes out!!!!

Dave
Old 20 August 2001, 05:39 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

jjones : welcome, join STi clan for a game m8. we play to have fun. and no one cheats. see otherthreads i've posted for 2 games this week.

cheating happens but its often hard to prove from my experience. we had 1 guy yesterday though who everyone knew was cheating - he was invisible !!! u planted a bomb - stood next too it and suddenly heard it being diarmed and u could not do anything !

which servers were u on ? we use Barrysworld for our clan practices.

dave p : get gamespy and icq. c u online with us this week ? c the other threads for details.

steve
Old 21 August 2001, 12:05 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

ROFL

so thats what happened to metal mickey!

bazza u aint got enough work to do m8.
Old 21 August 2001, 12:06 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL

Seen it B4 but still very funny !
Old 21 August 2001, 09:23 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Subject of a vote because I was the last CT left and I was being cautious and not running about in seven league boots! I went on to win the round, whilst rescuing the hozzies, but because it took over 3 minutes, they were all gagging for another shoot 'em up.

There are some noisy ba5tard5 out there!!

Cheating. Be careful some people are good and should go and pick on someone their own size. Sometimes you can just get lucky.

Believe it or not, I have been accused of cheating. I treat it as a compliment!

In fact I got accused of wall hacking on the "Tombraid" map, simply because the accuser didn't know the map. There are two eyes in a statue above the CT spawn which are one way viewers, and if you don't know that, it looks like you have disappeared halfway through the wall to anyone in "free view" mode.

More to the point, I had started killing some people who thought they were ace. And they didn't like it up 'em Mr Mainwaring.

If you think someone is cheating try to kill them. If they really are, then generally a groundswell will boot them off (or make staying too embarassing).

Otherwise why worry, there are thousands of other servers. Just leave them to it.
Old 21 August 2001, 11:42 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

OK for those of you new to the game, here is how one of the most frequently used cheats works.

It is actually Norman D. Landing's aimbot.

[This message has been edited by BarryK (edited 21 August 2001).]
Old 21 August 2001, 04:19 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

would love to come and play but i don't have broadband a ping of 240+ is very frustrating and doesn't make the game very enjoyable (i only have a 56k modem!).

in about 30 years when broadband is available in the sticks i will look you guys up if the offer is still open

cheers
Old 21 August 2001, 04:34 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Cool

JJones mate. you should still give it a go as quite a few of us including myself are on 56K modem – 200 is avg. Even though you are disadvantaged you become a better player.... well that's what I keep on telling myself when I keep on dying

Hope to see you online soon

rr

Quick Reply: counter strike- the basics