Seems there are more and more of us.

If there's enough, maybe we could ask webbie for our own forum

D

Old 10 August 2001, 08:40 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Got a test booked for the new Civic and will almost certainly get one.
Old 11 August 2001, 01:03 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Wink

I got a Civic Type R, holding it together in the Track day forum for us Honda Chappies.

Got a Test drive in the new Integra Type R next month.

Sideshow Bob and Jon H have got ITR's.

Matt
Old 11 August 2001, 03:37 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Got an Accord R , had an Integra R before that. There's the S2000 forum, but it's full of septics.
I'd be up for a type R forum.
Old 11 August 2001, 09:27 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Cool

My brother owns a Teg too, Mum's just bought an S2000, Just get me Dad to get an NSX, and we will have a full house.

We might have a new owner too, who normally potters around in a 22B.

Does everyone use their Type R on track, i so rarely see them.

Matt

Old 13 August 2001, 08:51 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

black integra type-r over here

only mods are camber & toe-in settings changed (big difference); mardi gras disks and mintex 1177 pads at the front.

Stunningly enough I was driving through surrey on saturday and there was a black ITR parked on the side of the road - just as another one passed me in the opposite direction (cue "tales from the dark side" music..." )

Old 13 August 2001, 09:33 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Must be the time of year Jon!

Driving through Glasgow on Saturday, passed a white one, a red one and two black ones in the space of about an hour.

LOL... was walking up the road after having parked when I saw the second black one - thought someone had made off with mine

Bl$$dy common Hondas

D

Old 13 August 2001, 09:36 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Meant to ask, do the camber and toe changes make any difference to the traction?

Mines on the standard RE010s and traction on damp and greasy surfaces is not good.

Tyre wear is nice and even, so its not alignment.

Suspect a change of tyres might be the answer.

D
Old 13 August 2001, 10:32 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

made a huge difference to turn in on the track. I have zero toe-in at the back and 2 & 1.5 degree camber at the front (i think). The car is pretty tail happy - i'll only get understeer if i'm trying (or tight, wet second gear, etc). The downside is that it feels a bit nervous on the road - especially around the straight-ahead position. I drive like a wuss on the road these days anyway, so its no big deal.

Talk to Dick Richards at mardi gras (they ran two integras in group n saloons for a while - in fact they're up for sale 35K for the ultimate track-day car... ) I'd recommend it.

jon
Old 13 August 2001, 10:35 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

tyres - no there's a thing

i'm using yoko a539's which are ok - but just ok. I want something that arent going to melt on the track, not too fussed about anything else (can be noisey, bad wearing, whatever...)

i think the 539's are pretty comparable to the re010's though - anyone tried anythign else ?
Old 13 August 2001, 10:45 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

I used to get the back end out on my Integra all the time (in the wet) and found it twitchy as ****.
Must be mad if you muck with the geometry.
I used Dunlop tyres - never had any traction problems - amazing for a FWD car.
It was no.5019 - Black - anyone own it now??
Old 13 August 2001, 11:36 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

mmm... i'd had the car a few weeks and got to go on a honda evening at bedford autodrome - they'd invited their recent "performance car" customers to blat around. Basically there were a dozen s2000 drivers listening to dire straits with the top down, me and another guy in an ITR.

He flew - no-one could keep up, even the "instructors" driving the jonathan palmer integras couldnt keep with him, especially through the left right left bit just on from the start. It turned out that all he had done to his car was the camber & toe-in. So, on his advice i wandered round to mardi gras and had the work done - like i said mardi gras raced integras for quite a while, so they know what they are doing. Made a big difference.

Jon
Old 13 August 2001, 02:02 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Well, my user name says it all, I got a White one.
Old 13 August 2001, 04:26 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Anyone else?

D
Old 13 August 2001, 06:36 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sshhhhhhh
Old 14 August 2001, 07:41 AM
Martynq
Scooby Newbie

Talking

I'm one of the Surrey Black ITR owners. Lovely car but as always want more. Thinking on a Mitsi V or VI.....
Old 14 August 2001, 03:22 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well ive gone and done it I picked it up this morning a lovely white UK Type R, I wanted something which won't break down on me all the time and is fun to drive without the turbo hassles ive had in the past.

So I welcome myself to the Type R Club if there is one?

Still planning on abusing the BSRT cars on weekends as the 22B needs a good seeing to now and then where as the RS200 will still be bowed down to

Harj...(A very happy Chappy)

PS..Cheers for all the advice for Matt Type R!
Old 15 August 2001, 09:16 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Welcome aboard

Type R Club...LOL...like the sound of that.

D

Harj, what tyres are you running?
Old 15 August 2001, 09:55 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi D!

Thanks for the kind welcome The car is running Toyo's which seem to be quite good, im looking into this Gemometry mod as above.

I shall be taking it to the Ring so today its time to buy some spare wheels and some road legal slicks I think Full Slicks not allowed on there.

Harj...
Old 15 August 2001, 10:33 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by harj:
<B>I shall be taking it to the Ring so today its time to buy some spare wheels and some road legal slicks I think Full Slicks not allowed on there.

Harj...[/quote]

Look forward to the report If its dry I suspect you'll be giving some people a bit of a surprise

Be interested to know how the Toyo's perform in the wet on the road.

D
Old 15 August 2001, 07:02 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well this today I went and had an Apexi Induction Kit fitted! My words were "Oh my God"

Forget the performance gains, the friggin sound of the VTec at 6K revs is unbeleivable

Now this has to be the ultimate mod to make to any ITR, low down torque has improved but I haven't noticed much in the top end yet. More driving needed when my back is better so we can see what next

Plan for tomorrow is to aquire some spare 15" wheels and some Intermediate Slicks so It is legal at the Ring!

Harj...
Old 16 August 2001, 09:14 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

I did that whole induction thing, but took it after after a few weeks, as it didnt offer any real gains.

De-cat is very good, and a 4-1 manifold would be nice, as the intake on the ITR is already superb.

The noise per performance gain just didnt add up to me, but damn, I would put my foot down going slowly in 1st or 2nd, when you have a few spectators on the street, and the looks!!!
People think the end of the world is nigh!!

After taking it off, I actually enjoy the car more, but its all about personal preference,
so Im going to go with modifying the exhaust in a manner similar to what Honda did to the 99 - Jap models, as in 4-1 manifold, and possibly a cat back system, incorporating the de-cat.
Old 16 August 2001, 09:42 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Ive been told by some tuners not to change the Cat System for a straight pipe as it could cause damage and its better to change the whole lot?

Don't know if this is perfectly true as many have done it, in the US most ITR owners adamently say not to change it either?

Old 16 August 2001, 09:59 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Hadnt heard that before, they mean the de-cat will damage the stock cat back part?

I imagine it could, as you get a large black area form on the bodywork surrounding the exhaust tip, as the fumes coming out must be hotter, so I suppose that could cause damage.

Still, pretty good excuse to upgrade the whole lot

oh, I forgot, I cant afford to, stupid bills!!

[This message has been edited by IntegraR (edited 16 August 2001).]
Old 16 August 2001, 11:20 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Can't you just leave it alone? 190bhp from a 1.8 is some going as it is, you can only make it noisier/unreliable/invalidate warranty. You'd get more gains taking out the back seats/parcel shelf and swap the spare for a bottle of foam, make sure you have a big dump before you drive it etc. etc.....
Old 16 August 2001, 11:54 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Hey, Im just trying to release the full potential of the engine.
The poor thing can breathe in well enough, but cant puff out again easily, so I just want to do a very mild mod to bring it further in line with its Japanese counterpart.

I'm not a major mods man, changes the lovely engine too much, but an exhaust system doesnt, it simply emphasises the positives.

[This message has been edited by IntegraR (edited 16 August 2001).]
Old 16 August 2001, 11:59 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Interesting stuff.

Yup, 190 bhp from 1.8 is pretty good going.

From what I've read, best mod is a new ecu which lowers the changeover point on the cam lobes and raises the revlimit But thats gonna be loads of cash and knacker warranty.

What I'd like to do for now (until the warranty runs out) is just a backbox change - the exhaust note is a bit too quite for me, especially when compared to the intake roar

Is the standard intake not a pretty free flowing item anyway?

D
Old 16 August 2001, 01:18 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

i'm with father jack here - its a honda, as long as you dont pour sand into the engine, it'll never break down. Best not to open the bonnet (though this only applies to cars - bikes _need_ pipe, filter, dynojet kit before they make sense)

Anyway - whats the consensus on tyres ? I'm pretty happy now with yoko a539's for the road, not stunning, but i do drive like my granny on the road these days. I've decided on a set of Yoko A032r's for the track (i have a spare set of rims). I've tried slicks - but although can definatly lap a track far quicker the cars handling becomes completely dominated by the tyres, you feel the suspension compress fully on every corner & i'm not convinced it does the car much good...

Then i tried A539's with only a couple of mm's tread left - they were ok, but only lasted a few laps before going all slidey.

So - A032's supposed to be almost a "cut slick". And the good thing about 15" rims is that i can afford to do all this

jon

Old 16 August 2001, 01:19 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Standard intake is very good, but the cat is one of the most restrictive around, so constrains the engine.

The 4-1 manifold was adopted by Honda on all its 99 onwards Jap ITR's, as it improved torque and power.

If you change your ECU (Mugen costs around £1100), then you will get a lower change over point, and your red line is increased to 9000RPM, which is why Mugen also supply a cam and valve set, so you dont put too much strain on your stock items.

Overall, Im very happy with the car, so Im just going with the exhaust mods, but if you want to go all out, speak to Mardi Gras, they can even put a Spoon 2.0l engine straight in there for you, but also do any amount of more subtle mods (www.mardigras.co.uk).

For me, I think the exhaust system will add more than enough, like I said, Im not into heavy mods, but I do think that some of the constraints applied to the car to make it Government friendly, can be done without.
Old 16 August 2001, 01:25 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Jon, Honda still have S02's, thats what mines getting, I am going to book him into Honda Bexleyheath (bought it from their too), for 4 new tyres, brakes all round, and an oil/filter change.
Trackdays are expensive, next 2 are done with me driving other peoples cars, thank god.

Ive had S02's for the last 6 months, and they really are superb, so Im going to stay with them for as long as poss.

Quick Reply: So who's all got a Type R Honda then?