Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

IS THE GOVERNMENT MAD!

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2003, 12:40 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Angry

been out for a normal saturday night, then next minute one of my friends says he is leaving for the gulf in 1 week, normaly you would think "good luck son this is what you have trained for" but NO this is a 40yr old friend who is in the T.A and who has been called up for service in the gulf. Has the world gone mad
THE T.A f**k me he probably only joined for the 2 weeks holiday, but now he is being drafted to fight for our country, is our country a joke do we really want people who normally stock shelves for TESCOS on the weekend fighting a country WHO GEORGE BUSH says we should attack, who would of thought that all those years ago when NOSTRADAMUS predicted that the 3rd world war would start in the east. IT WOULD BE THE WEST(bush) that would start it
Old 23 February 2003, 08:09 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No our country has not gone mad.
The majority of our country doesn't want this war.
It is Tony B Liar that has gone mad!
It's a discrace that he doesn't represent the peoples wishes, but he is a totally arrogant tw*t, so it's to be expected.
Old 23 February 2003, 08:18 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

WTF is he doing in the T.A then?
Old 23 February 2003, 08:24 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Looking at Steves times 00:40 he'll still be wrecked

Bigg Market this week ?

Si
Old 23 February 2003, 12:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Joining the T.A. is the same as being in the regular Services. If you "take the shilling" as they say, you accept the fact that you may well be asked to do what you have taken the money for while you were training and enjoying the weekend camps etc.

As we used to say"If you cant take a joke,you should'nt have joined"!

Although I spent all my working life in the Services it does not mean to say I like war though. I spent all my active time deterring it!

Les

[Edited by Leslie - 2/23/2003 12:32:33 PM]
Old 23 February 2003, 12:45 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

Quite agree, if you join up you should be expected to do you're duty regardless of the politics.
Old 23 February 2003, 01:17 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Flipside to that argument is that. If you join the Forces (Regular or TA) then most people are doing so to protect Britain. So when the B Liar decides hed much use you as an aggressive invasion force in a place that has never directly threatened Britain then I think you have the right to query the motives/ethics/politics involved.

IMO

Richard
Old 23 February 2003, 01:27 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

In that case the American G.I's in Nam shouldn't have fought or even our troops in the Falklands fighting over Maggie's ego. I mean what did the Falklands offer the UK apart from a few sheep and islanders. Should men have died for that cause?

[Edited by Popeye P1 - 2/23/2003 1:29:36 PM]
Old 23 February 2003, 01:51 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I'm sure the residents of the Falklands would take great exception to that last comment.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] They are classed as British citizens and expect the same level of support as you or I do.

Besides if you remember at the time, Britain had lost her last conflict abroad(suez) and wanted to show the world what she could do. IMO the Falklands conflict put us back on the map as far as the US was concerned, and certainly raised our standing in the world. A comparison which cant be drawn with Iraq at the moment.
Old 23 February 2003, 02:01 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

So when the B Liar decides hed much use you as an aggressive invasion force in a place that has never directly threatened Britain then I think you have the right to query the motives/ethics/politics involved.
hmmm, is that your head buried in the sand I see?

Wasn't there something called appeasement before last world war = that didn't work either did it?
Old 23 February 2003, 02:34 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Moose

If your refering to Germanys conduct leading up to WW2 I think its a stretch.

Germany was ammassing troops before starting to invade Poland (I think) You could argue that S Hussain ammassing WMD is similar but suspicions (and thats all they appear to be) do not give you the right to invade another state for financial gain!

As for the comments about the Falklands not being worthy FFS!

But thats not the point. Our Service Personnel do the job to protect Britain firstly, lend support to our international coallitions and keep the PEACE. NOT fight wars that are not in the interst of THIS country.

Old 23 February 2003, 02:47 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Who's fighting a war for financial gain?

Sometimes keeping the peace means being pro-active, not just shooting anyone who tries to cross the channel (now there's an idea )
Old 23 February 2003, 02:52 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Moose

I have it on very good authority that Iraq has Oil fields in it. Could be way off though

Pro-Active dont come into it though. Our people cant shoot unless they're being shot at!

I know what you're saying, but Iraq has NEVER threatend Britain. Hussain is quoted as saying he likes us, but not the Merkins