Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Congestion Charge.. Pics cost.

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2003, 06:58 PM
Luke
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is so much talk about mistakes been made...... Yet you must pay to see REAL proof.

yet the met will provide a pic for free when you speed.

Why?????

This system needs to be stopped. Its unfair. Cant wait for the first camera to be damaged.

Would it be illegal for a person to stand with large balloons that just happen to get in the cameras way. Not selling them. Obstruction???? But how could they prove it.

Kill ken
Old 20 February 2003, 07:10 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Angry

Ken stands to make almost as much in fines as he does from people who pay on the day if Monday is anything to go by.

Paying to see your picture is yet another thing this ****** sneaked in. Like the fact that residents who only make one journey a week actually only get a 50% discount rather than the 90% because the minimum you can pay is £2.50.

The sooner this clown is on the dole the better. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 20 February 2003, 07:21 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Its a council initiative, isn't it? Nothing to do with the police AFAIK.
Old 20 February 2003, 07:24 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Hence they can do whatever they want. Like parking here in Oxford costs the same amount as a third world worker's salary..
Old 20 February 2003, 07:54 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Wink

Well, I'm quite impressed.
I have never seen congenstion quite like this before; I thought that it was impressive before the charge, but now it's something else entirely. Moved onto another level, most definately.
And we even get to pay for it!
Ken would make a fabulous businessmen if only they allowed businesses to use such corrupt methods.
Old 20 February 2003, 08:01 PM
cookiemonster
Scooby Regular

Stop whinging

Its bloody brilliant - me having to run the gaunlet of traffic and inhale sticking fumes every day was unfair. London is not made for motor traffic and finally someone has got their **** together and done something positive.

Do you live and work in London ?

Old 20 February 2003, 08:22 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wait until 1/2 term has ended.....
Old 20 February 2003, 08:40 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Myself, I live just outside the charging zone; I work in SE1, and cycle to work, having given up on public transport a long time ago as the journey may sometimes take 15 minutes, other times 90, frequently with the tube station being closed for an hour or more at 'day end' (Oxford Circus). The variance in times made it useless for 'business use'. If the meeting I turn up an hour late to has Londoners in it (and this is rare, the typical meeting is made up of those normally flown in from the States or Europe that morning & hence are on time) the Londoners all just go 'oh, the tubes again?', non-Londoners can't understand it. 'What's the problem?' they say - 3 miles & I can't get in on time? Apparently, no. And this was because public transport was overcrowded then...

Cycling - up until Tuesday (oddly) of this week, was no problem. Now it's hell. The roads are stangnant rather than busy. People are angry, quite reasonably. What is not helping is increase in number of the things cuasing the jams and pollution in the first place - the buses. Especially those ones intended for big roads - the double-length killers with 4 people on them, stopping at their stops & bunging up box junctions, etc.
I'm just waiting for the false charges to come through. I have no hope in hell (without paying to prove) that I didn't use the tax zone. I live 2 minutes drive away from it. I work in it. My local shopping centre is in it.
The thing was designed to bring money in, & sod the people living in it. Who does it inconvenience the most? Those living in or near it. And, apparently, it's for our benefit.
I'd like to see how 'acceptable' it would be for someone in the country to be charged to drive to their local supermarket (and I lived in the country & commuted to London for 5 years so can see both points of view, I moved to London to get away from the appauling train journey that took up to 90 minutes - well, it is 30 miles!).
I can't see how anyone with any common sense whatsoever can see how this thing can function. Except, maybe, if it 'kills off' central London by charging people out of it, so there won't be any traffic in London. Well, there wouldn't be any London. It would have gone somewhere else that isn't taxed for functioning. Unless, of course, there's another London which is being discussed here?

[Edited by nom - 2/20/2003 8:46:01 PM]
Old 20 February 2003, 09:17 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Angry

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Huxley
Old 20 February 2003, 09:20 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

So what happens if I drive in to a charge zone with my LHD German plated Impreza? how are they going to extort the money from me???
Old 20 February 2003, 09:32 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Don't understand all the Londoners whinging about the congestion charge, this was a key pledge in his manifesto, he's only doing what YOU elected him to do !!!
YOU VOTED HIM IN now live with the consequences !!!!!

D

Old 20 February 2003, 09:47 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

No we didn't.
Little old ladies did.
There was a very amusing website that has a great deal of questions on it about various political choices. It 'knew' the policies for the idiots that we had the choice of.
At the start of the questionnaire, it asked who you'd vote for. Then, it led you through the test, asking questions about what policies were preferred, and at the end of it, told you who you should vote for.
Around 90% of people at the start of the test said Ken. About 2% at the end said Ken. That's how much people actually knew what was going on (and I don't think the test was byast (sp?), it was just about facts rather than manifesto & 'personalities' if that word can be applied to politicians).
He may have been voted in, but not by the people who actually keep London running. Look at Westminster's objections to virtually everything he does - Westminster, for those of you who don't live in London, is a council that is run like a business; they are fast, efficient, and is - after the vast cost of housing - a cheap place to actually live in (I have 2 rubbish collections a day, the streets are clean, and my council tax is 7 times lower than Camden - which is just over the road). They saw the corruption and disaster that was coming & took him to court over it (Livingstone did this as a pre-meditated decision without consulting anyone, which he isn't allowed to do). However, because allowing the roads to be clogged with more buses & therefore pollutants & death is the political correct option, it didn't get anywhere [this bit removed 'cos I looked up where I got the info from & it isn't 'public' ].
I suspect this thread is going to get locked sooner or later

[Edited by nom - 2/20/2003 10:58:34 PM]
Old 20 February 2003, 10:00 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Angry

I live and work in the charging zone and I DID NOT VOTE THIS CLOWN IN!!! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

This whole scheme has been steamrollered in, paying lip service to a consultation process. I was not consulted and I don't know anyone that was.

I also gave up the commute from Farnborough, Hants after 5 years because the journey was a nightmare. I now travel on a dirty smelly overcrowded tube system which actually takes twice as long as driving in to work. The buses are even worse and take even longer.

Before all you non-London types start getting on your high horses, if this charging system is deemed a success, congestion charging will spread to all cities around the country. Then who knows where???

Already this week most retail outlets have reported between 15 and 50% downturn in sales from this time last year (ie during half term). There are key workers that are having to leave their schools/hospitals etc because they cannot afford the charge.

The next hedge bumper that lauds this poxy stealth tax system will get a frigging congestion camera shoved where the sun don't shine. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 20 February 2003, 10:47 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

Just to antagonise cookiemonster i'll repeat my link (from another thread) here!

See http://www.congestion-charging.net/

Some of the interesting points include...

- Capita, the company administering the charge for TfL stands to make £230m over five years from the scheme. To add insult to injury, it operates out of offices in Coventry; the 500 jobs congestion charging in the capital has created haven't even gone to London.

------------

- Drivers who pay their congestion charge in advance but then don’t drive into the charging zone will not be able to claim a refund.

------------

- London car drivers are being asked to pay £5 to support a legal battle that could see congestion charging canned. The court case, which will be brought by solicitors Class Law if they can get £500,000 backing will challenge congestion charging under the 1998 Human Rights Act because proper consultation apparently wasn't carried out.

...bearing in mind that this is the same as the money they (TfL) took ON DAY ONE (and without even including all the fines due in the post tomorrow - 10,000 times forty quid minimum)!! So in one day, sufficient funds could be collected to close down this stinking, big brother, prototype for the rest of the UK, scam!!!!

mb

[edited to tidy up formatting]

[Edited by boomer - 2/20/2003 10:55:12 PM]
Old 21 February 2003, 08:06 AM
Luke
BANNED

I'm going to donate £20.00

What this this and the new parking charges in Westminster..You cannot take your car in at the weekend to see a show visit a restaurant/night club etc etc. As every 2 hours you must move it. NO FREE PARKING ON A SUNDAY... ALL NIGHT METER CHARGING.
Old 21 February 2003, 09:27 AM
Jodster
Scooby Regular

Got a friend who is Change Manager for this project at Capita in Coventry. The system is pretty good apparently, even been successfully tested on motorcycles which wound me up a bit. If they're never going to charge motorcyclists, why test it???
Old 21 February 2003, 09:28 AM
Luke
BANNED

Jodster ..maybe they are next!!
Old 21 February 2003, 09:42 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

It's ok I didn't really want an answer to my question.
Old 21 February 2003, 09:43 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

so why dont ya just buy an old banger to go to work and not register it in ya name... problem solved,
Old 21 February 2003, 10:00 AM
Luke
BANNED

Wurzel

Should you have a few charges amde against your car... and you use a ferry. They are saying ,they will get you there. Also they will post mobile cameras to look for offenders and get the police to stop the car down the road.

Apples. How do you insure it??

[Edited by Luke - 2/21/2003 10:00:52 AM]
Old 21 February 2003, 01:57 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Wurzel,

Red Ken has commissioned a company of heavies that will pursue foreign plated cars across most of the EU. Even if you only go through once you'll have bailiffs at the door - in Germany. If you drive through every day they'll do what is described above - sit and wait for you!

Fecking *******! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 21 February 2003, 02:03 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

...until you get stopped, then prosecuted.
Old 21 February 2003, 02:36 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Just one of the many reasons I left London 18 months ago...
Old 21 February 2003, 03:03 PM
rich1231
Scooby Regular

The ironic thing is, if public transport was really good then no one would mind too much about the CC. But as it is the public transport industry is a shambles.
Old 21 February 2003, 03:07 PM
Phil_
Scooby Regular

Angry

What's this about Westminster charging for parking on Sunday?
Old 21 February 2003, 03:58 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Some while ago Westminster began charging for parking in the West End 24 hours a day 7 days a week. They also have enforcement 24 hours a day also. People have come out of night clubs (with a sober driver!) at 4.00am on a Sunday morning and find a ticket on their car. The theatres in the West End are suffering enough without this new initiative from Westminster council on top of Con Charging.

As an aside, Westminster is the only area in the UK where disabled badges do not apply at all.

[Edited by Jerome - 2/21/2003 4:01:44 PM]
Old 21 February 2003, 05:25 PM
ChrisB

Interesting read:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/29427.html

By asking for a photo of your car, somebody has to find your pic - it's not automatically tagged to the none payment charge.
Old 21 February 2003, 05:33 PM
Luke
BANNED

Interesting....Thats a bloody understatement Chris!!!
Old 21 February 2003, 07:04 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

Whilst we are on the subject of privacy...

Why is the official web-site for the congestion charge (namely http://www.cclondon.com) a hidden secure web-site????

A normal HTTP site does not know your IP address if you are hidden behind a proxy server. An HTTPS (secure) site does get to know your IP address (thus, potentially your identity).

Why does the CCLONDON web-site parade itself as normal (HTTP) and yet behave as secure, and why does it need to know your IP address in the first place (unless, and until, you are actually purchasing some access credits)?????

Big brother on the roads, and big brother on the super-highway

mb
Old 24 February 2003, 07:18 PM
breezer
Scooby Regular

- Capita, the company administering the charge for TfL stands to make £230m over five years from the scheme. To add insult to injury, it operates out of offices in Coventry; the 500 jobs congestion charging in the capital has created haven't even gone to London.
and they don't even have to use it themselves. I might move to Conventry then - will probably be the last place in the country to ever adopt the scheme, if it goes that far (cross fingers touch wood etc. hope it doesn't).

Quick Reply: Congestion Charge.. Pics cost.