Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

what goes around comes around....

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2003, 01:27 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

The rival Popstars bands have insisted their careers are not in jeopardy, despite their tour being cancelled due to poor ticket sales.

The groups, manufactured by the ITV1 show Popstars: The Rivals, had been expected to perform 11 shows together in venues nationwide.

After record sales hit an all time low this happens

details

Time for record execs to wake up and smell the coffee. They can't blame this on mp3 downloads Loosers
Old 19 February 2003, 01:40 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

They'd all get it- the girls band.
Old 19 February 2003, 01:55 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

Popeye's got a point though!
Old 19 February 2003, 02:07 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

You can keep the ginger one......... minger!!
Old 19 February 2003, 02:58 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I think the ginga one is the nicest...
Old 19 February 2003, 03:19 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

why are these kids losers?

they all want to sing/be on TV as a career. this (assuming it does end for them) has been a massive step on that ladder. they are now known throughout the industry and allready have a fan base.

if they have the ***** to go on TV and do what they have allready done then im sure they have got what is needed to continue it....some of them are only 17-18 yrs old.....plenty of time to build on what they want to do.

T
Old 19 February 2003, 03:31 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Cool

plenty of time to build on what they want to do
Sorry but I have to disagree on that point... IMHO they’re screwed. They would have to be VERY lucky to be taken on by another Record company after such a MASSIVE flop. Same goes with tv tbo.

No it isn't their fault, they have been taken advantage of by the record companies / ITV but you have to say the must be incredible naive to think this will kick-start their carriers for most of them this was the beginning, middle and end.

However I'm sure I'll be proved wrong I've never been a "pop" fan and nowadays I've veered off towards the "oldies" route as pop just doesn't "do" anything for me

/me puts on my old copy of Led Zep 2
Old 19 February 2003, 04:34 PM
StiShrek
Scooby Regular

What about a new show called **** rivals...that would be far better
Old 19 February 2003, 04:39 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

errr......is it the case that plenty of these pop rival/stars etc are now VERY well off? will young, gareth gates are set for life, as is darius, sarah whatmore and the podgy one that liked gareth are also signed up, one of hearsay has married a soapstar the rst made a lot of money while it lasted, there are presenter jobs for some of the other "rejects"....even kate bloody lawer is on Radio 1 now!

while the major winners will always be the bigwigs i think its a bit daft to say that these kids have been hard done by...i'm sure theres plenty of 18yr olds out there who would swap pretty quick!
Old 19 February 2003, 05:35 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sorry, didn't mean the kids are loosers. The record company executives with thier cocaine addled ideas to get rich quick who are now experiencing the backlash of low sales and short shelf life acts are the loosers.

Hence the title of this post.

[Edited by unclebuck - 2/19/2003 5:36:46 PM]
Old 19 February 2003, 06:16 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

its an interesting oone and im sure someone somewhere is unhappy.....but, its aint the kids who are now famous are FAR wealthier than if they still worked at burgerking and i cant see that the record bosses are doing to baddly- certainly simon fuller and co. and not short of a few bod.

hearsay etc hold a variety of records for most singles sold, fastest album sales, etc so despite the short lived careers plenty of money was made by someone!
Old 19 February 2003, 08:25 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well, the way I understand the music biz to work you only get money from record sales (royalties) once all the sums have been done. This usually takes several years to come through. Everything up till then is loaned to you by the record company - an advance against the final figure. They might cruise around in limos, but it all comes out of their pockets in the end. If the record sales are poor and you've spent shed loads on a pop star lifestyle you won't make much at all. As for the Karioke kids (Will and Gareth) they might be big in the UK for 18 months but they are (rightly) ignored by the rest of the world. That ain't a career. You need *world wide* sales to make real money.

In the case of these lot whatever they're called, there are what, five of them? Their flash in the pan hit just ain't going to make them *that* much cash. No wonder they are crying. It's like being in a sweet shop and then having all the sweets taken away. Think how many 'stars' from the past are now washed up and skint. These guys will end up back at BK in no time (trouble is that some scummy migrant will have taken their job by then). Their not loosers, just suckers

[Edited by unclebuck - 2/19/2003 8:39:06 PM]
Old 19 February 2003, 08:26 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

but.... the lass who cried on TV is now about to launch her first solo album so despite the upset she now has her career and cash to boot!

ppl like to think of these kids failing because they belive they had it handed them on a plate...the reality of how they work to get it and then what they retain from it afterwards is often different to what the papers suggest.
Old 19 February 2003, 08:52 PM
negri
Scooby Regular

the only people who make any cash are the big wigs and song writers . will and gareth ect will have been made to sign sh*te contracts giving them a low percentage of cash they maybe get shed loads of free things for a while but that will fade out.
also if they are singing cover songs then the original artist has to have a share too . the only way to make loads of dough is to write and sing your own songs ,not the record companys
Old 19 February 2003, 09:21 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

ok they arent sprinsteen on bono but i would be surprised if many people on here will put in their pockets the sums that will and gareth will over the next five years.

T
Old 20 February 2003, 08:16 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

I would love to know exactly how much they have earnt. Have to agree with Uncle Buck there... they sign (and EVERYONE who entered Popstars) horrid contracts about first 2 years earnings from after the show. I can't remember the details.

And you say they've "worked" for it. Pull the other one. *ring* *ring*

Yes I did feel sorry for that one (from her'say IIRC) who burst into tears . But come on.. surely these people know theyre not tallented.

Just listen to the latest "quality" cover (have they even given up writing songs now?) "Sorry (seems to be the hardest word)". You listen to Blue sing along and you think hmm there not too bad and then Elton sings OMFG they are just kev n rich from BK. We've been fooled by such bad singers for so long that we think there good now.
Old 20 February 2003, 08:29 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

I think maybe they assumed that because of high viewing figures they would sell records which is obviously not the case, we all have voyueristic tendancies (or is it just me???? ) so the programs can be entertaining to watch, I mean I was totally hooked on pop idol the program but I wouldnt buy say a gareth gates record and thats what the tv execs and producers need to determine, the demographics of the TV viewers!!!

Gary
Old 20 February 2003, 10:35 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"surely these people know theyre not tallented."

what is it with you lot? not succesful in your own lives so have a jab at others who are?

myleen from hearsay is classicaly trained on the violin, harp and piano....has sung backing vocals with big names and had she not got in hearsay she would have been singing backing vocals on robbie williams tour.....in march she releases an album.

as she is in her early 20's what part of that is untalented or unsuccesful?

T

ps- im no fan before anyone starts but i am a fan of success.
Old 20 February 2003, 10:45 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

myleen from hearsay is classicaly trained on the violin, harp and piano....has sung backing vocals with big names and had she not got in hearsay she would have been singing backing vocals on robbie williams tour.....in march she releases an album.
She also has big ****
Old 20 February 2003, 11:11 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

sums that will and gareth will over the next five years
You seriously believe they will be around in 5 years

she would have been singing backing vocals on robbie williams tour
Ha ha, now that would mark her out as talentless

Tiggs - you seem to have this idea that people here don't like success. It's pop **** we don't like
Old 20 February 2003, 11:18 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i dont like it either....whats that got to do with it?

how does your disliking of type of music make the ppl involved talentless?

and who said will and gareth will be around in 5 years? i said they will make a lot of money in the next 5 years, after that they may choose to flip burgers again, they may spend it all and end up bankrupt but that doesnt stop the fact they earnt it.

T
Old 20 February 2003, 11:23 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

this is like having a conversation with my dad!

i remember him saying that the spice girls had no talent......its like you lot!

robbie williams is an arogant **** but to say that ppl like him/spice girls/whoever have no talent when they can fill stadiums and sell millions of records is missing the point somewhat....i dont have that talent? does anyone here? or does anyone here a talent they feel is worth more? any of you IT guys able to spin a motherboard on your finger basketball styleeee, that may get you a few laughs down the pub!

Old 20 February 2003, 11:34 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

how does your disliking of type of music make the ppl involved talentless?
It's the other way around mate I don't like being subjected to talentless people. Some of those old songs are classics - but they are murdered by jumped up Karioke singers. If you don't believe have a listen to the origionals.

I Blame that Pete Waterman myself [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] he has a lot to answer for IMO.
Old 20 February 2003, 11:53 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"ah I see .. that'll be why fat bloke Waller never made it into the band then ... he wasn't talented mmmm"

no he was fat. talent can only get you so far...and not as far as making that fat **** good viewing on a public who like their entertainment in normal size!

"I have played Guitar for mainstream artists over the years."

cool- who said you cant have an opinion? as a "insider" do you belive that these kids are "talentless"?

UB- i agree the music stinks. personaly i skipped my teenage years and spent the 80's listening to dire straights and bruce spinsteen so im not here as some music expert.

i just get understand ppl's use of the word talentless in cases like this?

T
Old 20 February 2003, 11:58 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Question

Uncle Buck....what do you listen to nowadays then...
Old 20 February 2003, 11:59 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

good question! for UB's sake i hope its not losers who subject me to their lack of talent
Old 20 February 2003, 12:09 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Glen Miller at a guess....
Old 20 February 2003, 12:13 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

glen who? was he on idol or the rivals?

dont tell me.....fame academy!
Old 20 February 2003, 12:20 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

oh ha ha, very funny Loosing the argument so you gotta resort to name calling

FYI - ATM I mostly listen to the Outlaws. Who?? Exactly.

UB
Old 20 February 2003, 12:29 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"Can you compare, in terms of 'talent', Girls Aloud to say Queen or Elton John"

but what was brian may doing at 18? was his guitar playing talent any better than the singing talent of some of the kids on idol?

his hairdressing certainly wasnt!

UB- who called you a name?

Quick Reply: what goes around comes around....