Will e-Business exist in 1 years time?

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2001, 09:47 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

NO this is not a anti-dot-com thing....

I am an eBusiness Project manager, working towards being a consultant. I am thinking however that the term e-Business is a lmiting thing.

With more eBusiness becoming non web based (via XML and the such) the eBusiness name may soon only apply to B2C sites that use a web (as in Browser) based "Font Door" to the functions.

Now that more businesses just use the internet as a comminication link rather than installing dedicated links to specific partners, we are back to the same old EDI thing that has been in existence for years. The most effective "e-Business" sulotions will just connect exisitng company systems to parners without anyone being aware that the internet is part of the infrastructure.

After all the B2C transactions are tiny compaired to B2B. Basically has the whole eBusiness thing just become amalgamated into the more traditional IT area? and if so should I (or we) just step back into calling ourselves the more traditional IT manager/consultant roles that I (we) have been doing for years.

What do you all think?
Old 12 July 2001, 09:58 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Er,

stick to Shakespeare

Poo, Wee, Bum!

mb

p.s. This whole "e" thing is old hat - "f" is where it is at!
Old 12 July 2001, 10:14 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
As a company - McAfee - we're expecting a huge increase in service provision via the internet.

Our web page will stay the same size.

Old 12 July 2001, 11:05 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

XML is just a method of relaying information, and its meaning. If I were a company, with a "Business To Business" and "Business To Customer" marketplace, I would not make any distinction between "web based" and non web based.

In the customer scenario (web purchasing) you create a script to make sense of the exposed XML. Your business clients create their own consumer (.NET object or whatever) based on your SDL.

Regarding positioning yourself: I have no idea. Depends who you are talking to A copy of Computing is a good yardstick, the adverts in the back are always a good indicator of the vogue.

BTW: Buzzwords get on my ****.
KF.

EDIT: spelling

[This message has been edited by KF (edited 12 July 2001).]
Old 13 July 2001, 11:11 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

I went to a one day course on 'e-commerce' about a year ago and after getting beyond the new jargon and hype came to the same conclusion - it's EDI being re-marketed.

And having spent 15 months on a failed EDI project in the early 90's (a B2B model in the modern vernacular), my interest waned.

regards