Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speed camera wars??

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2003, 11:28 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just found this I like it.

30 Speed Cameras along a 27 mile stretch of the North Circular Road in London have been systematically vandalized, and those behind the attacks have threatened more.
Whilst the ABD does not condone such acts of vandalism, it comes as no surprise.
The news will certainly come as no surprise to the Metropolitan Police. In April 1999 a memo from a senior officer was leaked to the Evening Standard, warning of a 'breakdown of law and order' if the authorities persisted with plans to step up harassment and obstruction of motorists in the capital.
The police, an increasing number of whom are disillusioned with blatant anti-car policy, now have to waste their inadequate resources dealing with a problem that need not exist at all.
Despite the warning from the police, and the fuel protests of 2000, the government still believes it can continue to bully drivers with more and more restrictions and costs.
Like blowing air into a balloon, they should not be too surprised if one day it goes bang in their face.

Camera war Dutch stylr

ps. I DO not encourage this kind of behaviour at all

Huxley
Old 05 February 2003, 11:30 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

Wish they'd come and destroy some round my way.
Old 05 February 2003, 11:46 PM
PPPscooby
Scooby Regular

more pics here

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=173457
Old 06 February 2003, 12:08 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Red face

Come on people !!!

Surely you can't fail to comprehend the basic facts !

It is FAR FAR FAR more cost effective to collect a roll of film and print out fines for speeding than it is to :

1. Stop children getting killed by abusing carers.
2. Stop joggers in a major city centre park being knifed to death.
3. Stop yobs kicking a father in the head for pulling them up over swearing (so badly that he is now brain damaged).
4. Stop gangs of sub culture thugs "Steaming" shopping arcades.

**** this for a lark : If Law and enforcement forces will not/can not act to enforce the Law then as far as I am concerned they have no argument if the people enforce their own law.

Someone has got to make an example of these scumbags...

Old 06 February 2003, 12:14 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Well said Jods

I'm with you on that one

Huxley
Old 06 February 2003, 12:17 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wink

Nice one Huxley

I think !
Old 06 February 2003, 12:56 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

jods, you could of course use the oposite argument that if the police are no longer being used to enforce speed limits manually, but are using automated equipment such as gatso's, that frees them up to persue the scumbags of this country.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
Old 06 February 2003, 01:36 AM
breezer
Scooby Regular

Speed cameras are cheaper than having a full-time copper there with a speed gun, obviously (well, once the set-up cost has been taken care of) but there are also a load of arguments that say they actually make drivers more dangerous in some situations. A nice site to look at is...

http://speedlimit.dreamwater.org/cameras.html
Old 06 February 2003, 08:23 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

One of the companies that developes these Fing cameras is located near me, they have a test site on the road near us. Some of the cameras they have been trying over the last year are no bigger than a hand held video camera. The sort of size that could be fixed to any lamp post. At least at the moment they are big enough to spot.
At least a small camera would be easily nicked should you feel that way inclined
Old 06 February 2003, 08:41 AM
ScoobyDooMe
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I often get the feeling that law enforecment only tackles areas of crime procatively, where it can make the most impact for the least cost and bullying drivers seems to be one of them.

Lets face putting up thousands of cameras hidden behind trees and road signs and in areas where they have reduced speed limits seems to be very cost effective, i.e. dual carrage ways which were 60mph limits know being reduced to 40mph. People are going to get caught out.

As you say, underage so called 'minors' running amock where there is no effective deterant seems to be one where the law is only concerend with a reactive approach rather than proactive.

We all know that prevention is better than cure, but prevention also cost more!!!
Old 06 February 2003, 09:14 AM
dan4
Scooby Regular

Where can I sign up to help these people out? Can we make donations toward their cause?
Old 06 February 2003, 09:30 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

There was a story in the news yesterday where someone had used explosives to blow apart a speed camera. They won't be using that one again
Old 06 February 2003, 09:48 AM
alman
Scooby Regular

For whatever reason, you have to admit that you are breaking the law when you speed, that's a fact you cannot getaway from.

If you did not speed, you will not get fined, it's pretty simple.

So why complain when you get caught ?

Road deaths are a big killer, if not the biggest killer of early teens.

I'd like to hear you complain like this in the presence of a mother whose lost a child due a to speeding motorist.

okay that said......

How many cameras are near schools or even near schools ?
not phucking many, and not nearly enough

most cameras are not on accident black spots, they're on the end of long down hill straights on dual carriageways.
Ever seen a kid playing on a dual carriageway ?
( okay, I've seen a few, but hopefully darwin will sort them out ;-)

They're on stretches of roads where the speed limit changes from 60 to 40 for no apparent reason.

Anyway,
What I'm trying to say is that it should NOT be the police who decides where a camera goes , it should be the local community.

Cameras can be used for the right reason, preventing deaths,and not as money printing machines.

Old 06 February 2003, 10:59 AM
58GT
Scooby Regular

The blown up camera is on the A605 near Peterborough, which is a road that has seen a huge number of fatal accidents in the past few years although I cannot see why. It's a wide, smooth undulating road that presumably fools fools into thinking they can pull off an overtake when they can't. Trouble is the camera is (was) sited near the bottom of a steepish hill that is difficult to roll down at 60 without braking. Also road is always full of slow trucks which try people's patience.
Personally I've never been done by a camera but I'm surprised that it's taken this long to start vandalising them. In the States they're regularly used for roadside target practice. Me I hate people that race around in the 30's and 40's (speed, not age)but I tend to nip along out on the open road. Mind you I live in Northamptonshire where there's a mobile camera (potentially) around every bend. It would be nice if they were sited a bit more logically, ie where they actually might save lives.
Old 06 February 2003, 11:00 AM
58GT
Scooby Regular

The blown up camera is on the A605 near Peterborough, which is a road that has seen a huge number of fatal accidents in the past few years although I cannot see why. It's a wide, smooth undulating road that presumably fools fools into thinking they can pull off an overtake when they can't. Trouble is the camera is (was) sited near the bottom of a steepish hill that is difficult to roll down at 60 without braking. Also road is always full of slow trucks which try people's patience.
Personally I've never been done by a camera but I'm surprised that it's taken this long to start vandalising them. In the States they're regularly used for roadside target practice. Me I hate people that race around in the 30's and 40's (speed, not age)but I tend to nip along out on the open road. Mind you I live in Northamptonshire where there's a mobile camera (potentially) around every bend. It would be nice if they were sited a bit more logically, ie where they actually might save lives.
Old 06 February 2003, 11:01 AM
58GT
Scooby Regular

Keep getting these double posts. Sorry. Keep getting these double posts. Sorry.
Old 06 February 2003, 11:16 AM
GTB
Scooby Newbie

Best fun to be had with a speed camera is to accelerate as you approach it so you're doing about 62mph (if in a 60 zone) as you almost pass it, then floor it as you pass the thing so it gets one flash as you're right on it and the second (useful) one after you've passed. oh, the things we do for fun on an otherwise boring stretch of road!!

Actually I'm not sure if they can do you if they flash you as you approach them, or whether its only if you're driving away from them. Anyone know?

Anyway the above trick is even better when you pass another car coming the other way as you are doing this - they think they're the ones who have set it off!!!
Old 06 February 2003, 11:27 AM
GTB
Scooby Newbie

Allegedly.
Old 06 February 2003, 11:34 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Much better trick is to drive at it on or below the speed limit, and brake anyway just in case. Then you can cause people behind to brake too, and before long you can cause an accident which will justify having the camera there.

Not that it winds me up when people brake for them, even though they aren't speeding, you understand
Old 06 February 2003, 12:12 PM
alman
Scooby Regular

don't get me wrong, I ain't pro-camera.
just sometimes need to think about the other side of the story.

Hell, I break the speed limit everytime I go out.
anyone know of what you get done for ( potential fine, jail time etc. ) if you get caught breaking a camera ?
I would'nt mind "fixing" a money maker one near me.

Old 02 June 2003, 11:43 AM
dan4
Scooby Regular

Just remove your number plates and then rag it up and down the street with the camera until it runs out of film!

Edited to say - Only the ones placed in needless positions, ie. NOT the residential ones!

[Edited by dan4 - 2/6/2003 11:49:25 AM]