Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone interested in a group evening glider air experience flight???

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2001, 12:52 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi,

My local gliding club in south Leicestershire offer group deals for air experience flights. Does anyone fancy joining up for a evenings flying (no experience necessary)??

Details are;

<B>Dates:</B> Monday, Friday, Saturday evenings.
<B>Costs:</B> £12 per winch and £25 per aerotow in April May & September.
£20 per winch, £35 per aerotow in June July & August.
<B>Numbers:</B> Minimum number - 6 (possibly two groups in one evening)
Maximum is approx 25.
<B>Food:</B> Food is available and has to be booked ahead and paid for separately on the evening. There's also a <B><I>bar</B></I> at the club house.

I thought we could get a few people together and combine with a scooby meet?? It's a great sport and even if you're only looking at doing it for this one off, it's a fantastic experience.

Obviously flying is subject to weather conditions so it maybe better in late May or June...

Anyone interested???

Club website is
Old 30 April 2001, 12:58 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nimbus

Always fancied doing this. Tried hang gliding and it wasn't really my thing. Little bit of a trek for me, but I would definitely be interested.

Cheers
Chris
Old 30 April 2001, 01:06 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris,

Might be a bit of a trek for you from the SE. The club is about 10 miles south of Leicester, but if you're upto it then great!!

You will not be disappointed!!

Cheers
<B>N</B><I>i</I><B>m</B><I>B</I><B>u<I>S</B></I>
Old 30 April 2001, 01:11 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Nimbus
Sure you haven't got your head in the clouds mate??

Hehehe - sorry - I had to.....
Old 30 April 2001, 01:27 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Cool

me me me me me me me
(hopping up and down at back of classroom with arm raised)

[This message has been edited by Richard Askew (edited 30 April 2001).]
Old 30 April 2001, 01:47 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dave T-S:
<B>Nimbus
Sure you haven't got your head in the clouds mate??

Hehehe - sorry - I had to..... [/quote]

Dave,

I've <I>always</I> got my head in the clouds

Fancy coming along???

Richard,

Of course. Thats 2....

Old 01 May 2001, 12:04 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Wink

Richard,

I believe we can fit the gliders with radar guided missiles tuned to the Gatso frequency

Old 01 May 2001, 12:19 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Wink

.....excellent news - I was concerned that missiles wouldnt manage to get the lock on to the cameras which is why I opted for automatic weapons.....but if they can.......

Old 01 May 2001, 12:29 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Ahhh, I remember the days, sigh

I used to glide at Wattisham in Suffolk when I used to work on base. We used to have a gliding club there (Anglia Club) and would spend many a fun weekend flying around the sky. There really is nothing better. The feeling you get when you hook up with a thermal and get some lift is amazing, especially if you are lucky enough to share it with other gliders or birds. If you are considering Nimbus's offer, just do it.

As for weaponry, the Anglia club used to have this really big old glider (don't remember the name) but it was a two seater and the seats were side by side and the wing ran over the top. That could flown without the canopy easily. Xmas day gliding (no thermals and bloody cold) would consist of getting a winch launch then trying to bomb the guards on the gate with flour bombs

Winch launch is deffo. the most fun over aero launch, but aero gives you more airtime. Winch launch has some silly speeds and has been compared to being launched with a steam catapult off a carrier. You thought your Scooby could accelerate, well that is nothing

Cheers

Ian
Old 01 May 2001, 12:51 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Ian,

There's an old two seater at our club as you describe (could it be the same?). It has an open cockpit with just a small windscreen, and you sit bolt upright. It's painted in some sort of RAF colours (red and silver) with those RAF blue/red circle things . Looks bloody scary to me Looks like it escaped from Colditz…

The winch launch. It's like a ride at Alton Towers!! (I was going to mention the fact that it out accelerates a scooby, but thought I may get some derisory comments!! .

Come on guys and gals. You know you want to!!

Old 01 May 2001, 10:15 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Question

Anyone else up for it??? Need 6 minimum.

Cheers
Old 01 May 2001, 10:19 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'll put the around around mate........

Old 01 May 2001, 10:39 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Seems a reasonable proposistion, would have to be Saturday for me to travel.

I'll see if I can grab couple more people. What's the average flight duration?

B
Old 01 May 2001, 11:52 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Hi Banshi,

Depends on the weather really and the type of launch...

<B>Winch Launch </B>
For a winch launch the head wind strength will determine the release height. With a decent headwind you can get up to 1600ft, which could give you about 10-15 mins flight time (less for lower release). Of course, if you can get into a thermal this could be extended.

<B>Areo-Tow </B>
Personally, I would go for an Areo-tow. The tug plane will tow you to about 2500 - 3000 ft. From there you have a much better chance of getting into a thermal because a) the tug pilot will take you to a good spot (under a cloud!!) and b) you have more flight time to look for one yourself. Without any help from a thermal you are looking at around 20-30 mins in the air.

Again, all these are estimates and it does depend on the weather conditions as to how long you stay airborne. Nothings guaranteed in gliding unfortunately, especially as we are at the vagaries of the British weather. There's no reason why you could not do more than one flight as well, time permitting. With an evening flight the thermal activity is starting to die down, although if it's been a Very Good Day, there will still be some about. Obviously the weather <I>should</I> be better later in the year, so I'm thinking of something around June time. It will also mean that we get more daylight in the evening.

I would go for the areo-tow to get the best time in the air, but the winch launch is not to be missed for the shear fun of the launch itself! Once released the instructor will let you fly as much as possible. You will have a parachute, although no one is expecting to have to use it! There really is nothing quite like travelling through the air at 2000ft in near silence. And the views are good too!!

If anyone wants any more info please let me know.

Cheers
Old 01 May 2001, 11:58 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Cool

.....any chance of a gattling gun to strafe gatso's with whilst I'm up there??.....
Old 01 May 2001, 01:11 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Nimbus
It's a bit of a long way.....especially when i've got Cambridge Gliding Club a few minutes up the road......

Re the wooden glider, I used to fly in them in the Air Cadets (over 30 years ago!) and went up in a similar one many times - two seater, side by side, open cockpit, and you just sat on a plywood bench - spooky. I seem to remember it was an old Sedbergh (sp?)
Old 01 May 2001, 01:14 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

BTW - as you guys say, winch launch is something else. I seem to remember climb rate was about 30 feet per second - doesn't sound much, but.....equate it to three floors in a lift per second
Old 01 May 2001, 04:19 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Nimbus/Dave,

That sounds like the one, yeah, like something out of "The Bridge Too Far" I much preferred the Grob with reclined pilot couch, proper instruments, good radio etc. Spent about 3 hours up in that once on a summers day, bliss

I thought winch launch was even quicker than that Dave (I guess it depends on the power of the winch), but I seem to remember that from the shout of 'all out' to cable release was only like 25 seconds ? Maybe I blacked out each time and I 'lost' some time I do remember the aim was usually 1200ft AGL and about 25 seconds which I make to be almost 50ft/sec.

Anyway, regardless, it is quicker than a Scooby

Cheers

Ian
Old 01 May 2001, 04:36 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I really fancy this, but have never done it before. Sounds like a real laugh - is there any ground training (how to use parachute, all that sort of guff) before take off?

I'd be well up for this - as I'm northern, it isn't too far, but how about combining it with camping (tented variety, not John Inman variety)?

Nick.
Old 01 May 2001, 05:25 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ian,

25 seconds sounds about right, though I agree that it seems like less.

OK, done some calculations

If you discount the last 5-10 seconds as you are getting to the top of the climb and not gaining much (100ft max?) then the 15-20 second you are climbing to average of 1200ft = more like 60 to 80 ft per second!!!

Or, looking at it another way (stick with it )

1 nautical mile (nm) = 2000yds = 6000ft
1 knot (kt) = 1 nm / hr
1 nm / hr = 6000ft / 60 = 100ft / minute
100ft / 60 = 1.7ft / second
Therefore 1kt = 1.7ft / second
57kts climb speed = 1.7 X 57 = 97ft/second through the air (not climb rate yet).

Considering you are climbing at approx 45 degree angle;

Using my shaky Pythagoras' theorem, travelling 1.4 ft along the 45 degree climb = 1ft vertically. Therefore 57kts (@ 45 degrees) / 1.4 = 40kts vertically
40kts X 1.7 (1 kt = 1.7 ft /second) = 68 ft / second vertically!!!

Hurry, my initial estimate worked out!!!

Now my head hurts

Old 01 May 2001, 05:40 PM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Did the A.T.C. bit myself in Slingsby Prefect.

The open cockpit certainly gives you a 'With the Birds' feel.

All winch launches which were a great rush.

Old 01 May 2001, 05:40 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Nick (chiark),

You will get some training in Parachute use. All they will tell you though is which ring to pull to release the 'chute . But seriously though, safety is taken very seriously so you will be full briefed before hand.

You will of course be going in a two seater glider with a fully qualified BGA instructor. He will explain about the glider and the principles involved. Once you have released from the tug or winch and it's safe to do so, he will let you take over and allow you to fly as much as possible.

It is a great laugh, but you do have to be very safety conscious as it is concerned a Dangerous Sport , but don't let that put you off!!

There is an area for pitching a tent and if I remember rightly, there may even be some caravans for hire for the night if you prefer. I'll look into that and find out the costs etc. If the weather is good tomorrow I going down to the club so I'll check it out.

I can see this turning into a great summers evening. Out on the field first for fresh air and flying etc, then back to the bar for some grub and beer!!

[This message has been edited by Nimbus (edited 01 May 2001).]
Old 01 May 2001, 05:49 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Nimbus:
<B>

Once released the instructor will let you fly [/quote]
FLY. are you serious? I can't keep a box kite in the air.

Dave, seen it done it worn out the tee shirt. As usual

Nick
Well there's potentially two from up here, but whats this obsession fields, canvas and rubber?

Old 01 May 2001, 05:57 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Banshi,

LOL. Don't worry mate, it's as easy as falling off a log.

oops, perhaps that wasn't the right phrase

At least you will be able to say that you actually <I>did</I> it

Old 01 May 2001, 10:54 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cool just read the whole of the thread - I'm definitely up for this - as long as I'm not in the sky at the same time as that nutter Askew

Chris

So Dave - are you going to come along??
Old 02 May 2001, 08:46 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Sounds brilliant, count me (and my wife) in. As for the rubber, canvas and fields, well, don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

Any suggestions for date? Late May is good, or early June. Saturday would be *much* easier, but Friday is possible for me.

Banshi and I would be coming from the Grim North...
Old 02 May 2001, 10:14 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by chiark:
<B>Sounds brilliant, count me (and my wife) in. As for the rubber, canvas and fields, well, don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

.[/quote]

A bit old for that sort of thing m8, but Nick from the W Yorks crew also fancied a little camping
Saturday is also best for me.

Cheers
Old 02 May 2001, 11:04 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

OK guys,

Here's what we have so far..

<B>Pilots</B>
Myself
Chris L
Richard Askew
Banshi
Chiark + 1 (Nick, assume your wife will fly as well?)

I think we should be OK with this. We can still have more though if anyone else wants to join.

<B>Dates</B>
The only Saturday free in June is the 9th. There are still some weekdays free if you prefer. Start time is 5:30pm. There are also some dates free in July (7th, 14th, 21st).

I've provisionally booked June 9th. Please let me know ASAP if this is OK with everyone, or which alternate date is preferred.

<B>Flights</B>
Saturdays are Areo-Tow only, so unfortunately you will not be able to get the 'rush' of a winch launch . Don't worry though, the areo-tow is much preferred to get a good flight. Also, you can have a second areo-tow flight at club rates (£17.50 for the launch and 29p per minute in the air). You also get three months temporary membership at the club. There will probably be two instructors on duty, so if anyone does want a second flight we should have plenty of time.

You won't get bored sitting on the ground waiting for your flight. There will be plenty to do with launching and retrieving gliders. Everyone helps out .

<B>Accommodation</B>
To pitch a tent - £2
For Bunk Room (including bedding) - £6
For Caravan (excluding bedding) - £6
If anyone needs accommodation please let me know so I can book it.

<B>Food and Drink</B>
I will need to know how many will require feeding so the kitchen can prepare (I assume all of us ). Paid separately on the evening. The bar is open usual hours.

<B>Costs</B>
£35 for the course. £10 deposit per person payable to 'The Soaring Centre'. Once we have confirmed the date I'll let the club know that you will be sending in individual payments. Just quote the date and my name as organiser (errr, obviously not "Nimbus" . I'll e-mail you my real name along with any other info I can find).

I think that's it. If anyone has any questions please post or e-mail me.

Cheers!!

Old 03 May 2001, 08:19 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by banshi:

Dave, seen it done it worn out the tee shirt. As usual

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Banshi, sorry can't help it - i've been on this planet rather a long time(!) so had the opportunity/luck to do a number of things.....ATC/Army Cadets was available to anyone however - great way to spend my growing up years, flying in gliders/Chipmunks (the plane, not the rodent ), going away to camp (!), firing Bren guns/Lee Enfield .303's etc - at least it's truth not bullsh1t....

Old 03 May 2001, 08:20 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

All seems worringly well organised Nimbus
Any Saturday would be preferable for me.

Cheers
Chris

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in a group evening glider air experience flight???