Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

HELP- Consumer advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2003, 03:30 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can anyone tell me where I stand or course of action I should take. With the following situation.
Purchased 2 & 3 seater leather sofas from a hight street shop, about 10 months ago, the seats which get sat on the most have sunk and there is an obvious deep depression in these cushions.
I contacted said shop who sent out an independant furniture bloke, his report back to the shop said there was a problem and that the cushions should be refilled, not something he could do, I have rung the shop and they said the manufactures will be contacting me to arrange to come out and do on site !. there are no loose cushions it's all stitched together.
My question is, if this has been identified as a fault should I refuse to have the sofas repaired ? can I do that ? can I demand for them to be replaced ? do I loose my statutory rights by accepting a repair ?
I can't see how they would be able to dismantle a leather sofa in my front room and then rebuild it again anyway.
Please advise where I stand legally and what you would do !

Thanks
Ian..
Old 29 January 2003, 03:33 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are willing to rectify your problem - you must give them that chance, or give up your rights to a repair

Pete
Old 29 January 2003, 04:22 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I thought by accepting a repair, you give up your rights for a replacement. !
Old 29 January 2003, 04:34 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

i think as long as the repair has been authorised by them, they are responsible and should further guarantee this work!!!

check this out with them..

good luck

BB
Old 29 January 2003, 06:01 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Question

I think BB is right.You should check that there is a gurantee period on the repairs.Also arent sofa's guranteed for more than the standard (1 year) high street stuff.
Old 29 January 2003, 10:20 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You should accept the offer of repair, but don't agree that it has been repaired completely. State quite clearly that you need to test the repair over the same period of time that the fault occurred. That way, if it sags again after 10 months you are still dealing with the first fault, which happened within the guarantee period. You would be surprised what leather people can do. I had a green suite which was about 8 years old and had worn through on one armrest. A guy cane out and had a look at it, unstitched a small panel and took a very small sample with him. (He repaired it temporarily with a non matching piece.) He came back a week later with a new panel which he hand stitched into place. It was a perfect match. (I didn't think that they would be able to colour match 8 years of wear and tear)
Old 30 January 2003, 02:41 AM
Rich Tee
Scooby Regular

just out of interest, this wouldnt be a high street furniture store that could be to do with the law could it ???

R.
Old 30 January 2003, 09:12 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll wait for Furniture Village arrange the repair then ! oops should I have mentioned their name ?