Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

lying dealers

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2003, 02:57 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wasted more time and money travelling to look at a car that was wrongly described over the phone.

I saw the car briefly once before. It looked mint and was exactly what i was looking for. I asked the dealer about the cars history and he told me he remembered seeing something on the history about a cambelt change (vital on 300ZXs at 60k miles). He also told me he had some other history and a cert for the CAT 1 alarm that was already fitted.

Since then i had spoken on the phone to him twice and both times he has mentioned the car's history amd the CAT 1 cert (both were essential for me to even consider buying the car). He promised to have the coil packs changed on the car before i test drove it. He called me last week and told me this had been done and the car was ready to test drive.

Today i drove from Halifax to Ellesmere to get the test drive and give the car a thorough going over. When i got there I was told that they haven't got round to changing the coils yet but i could have a test drive anyway. I was a bit p155ed off but went for a spin anyway. I wasn't particularly impressed mostly due to an obvious misfire.

I'd asked if the car had been in a crash at any point. The dealer said "no". I checked the panel bolts on the front passenger wing to see that there was a new wing bolted on and the original tack welds were broken. The car didn't have a spot of rust so there would be no reason to change the wing unless the car had been bumped.

I gave the car a good looking over and to be honest it was in good nick apart from a rather tatty interior (which wouldn't have been a problem). I then asked to see the documentation.

The dealer then pulled out a folder and handed the contents to me. All he had was a V5 and the current MOT!!!! I was furious. Despite me asking on several occasions about the history of the car the guy blatantly lied to me just to get me to look at the car.

This is the second dealer in a row who has lied about a cars history on the phone just to get me to go to their garage to look at a car. I think from now on i'm gonna buy privately. Hopefully i'll find a seller who has a few morals!!!!!
Old 26 January 2003, 02:58 AM
Luke
BANNED

And i love it when they say........... re-advertised due to timewaster!!! yes who????
Old 26 January 2003, 03:18 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

lol...true.

The dealer in this case even offered to get his mechanics to change the cambelt for me. Going on his current record for telling the truth i doubt he'd even bother. I'd go happily driving away and end up with a £3500 bill for a new engine 1000 miles down the road.

I was honest with him about the stuff i've still to fix on my scoob and he still offered me a good trade in for it. Makes me think he's desperate to get rid of the Zed.