Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone had this sleep problem?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2003, 11:58 AM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Since getting ill a year ago I have always had to plan when to go to sleep an hour before I do, so sleep is more of a stressful occupation nowadays than a pleasure.

I got quite ill with another infection just after New Year and as a result I had 2 nights when I couldn't sleep at all, just managing an hour or so in the daylight.

Since then, I have developed a fear of going sleep at night, I lie awake for hours and my mind won't wind down, so usually I pass out from exhaustion more than fall asleep. It's not as if I am not tired, I really do want to sleep. The weird thing is I can go to sleep easily during the day and feel a lot calmer then, especially if I know that someone is in the house downstairs, and awake.

I don't want to become nocturnal, and I'm looking for jobs now so I'll need to be well rested, so can anyone advise anything at all?? I'm going to try to go to sleep when I know that my parents will be awake and watching tv downstairs for at least an hour, and will try that. Any other suggestions welcomed!
Old 25 January 2003, 01:53 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Smile

I used to get that when i was about 8 years old. You just need to calm down down mate thats it. You are worrying about whether you are going to be able to sleep when you finally go to bed thus you dont sleep. Its like knowing that you have something really important to do in the morning therefore it is hard to drop off. Try doing some sports or exercise then go to bed early and get up early. You will be too exhausted to worry about whether you well sleep or not. Problem solved.

Regards

Scrappy
Old 25 January 2003, 02:01 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

i just have a couple spliffs, total relaxation.
Old 25 January 2003, 02:33 PM
yoza
BANNED

Talking

Apples,
You robbed my line.......

If you dont want to try recreational drugs try them calms,they do a few potions(legal)in your local chemist to calm you down b4 sleep.

If all else fails Ill ask Zippy to give you a call and have a chat,he is guaranteed to send you to sleep,sorry Ian

Later Yoza
Old 25 January 2003, 04:45 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Push one out, that'll send you off and it's good for the wrist
Old 25 January 2003, 04:52 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

lol Ill go with Yoza and apples. Good few tokes on some decent gear and youll have no problems.

Simon.
Old 25 January 2003, 04:53 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Jazon, and Girls cant ****?
Old 25 January 2003, 04:55 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Ooops!

Girls can ****, though!
Old 25 January 2003, 06:31 PM
muppet paster
Scooby Regular

Wink

Old 25 January 2003, 06:43 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

To be honest I've had this ever since I was a kid (now 26.) At a very young age I sometimes went in mummy's bed to help me sleep, later on as teenager I used to go to bed and watch TV until I fell asleep, now I'm fully fledged I just stay up so late that I'm so shattered when I do go to bed I just flake out. Going to bed earlier will just result in hours of wrestlesness and I'll end up getting up again. Decided at uni I could only sleep 'normally' if I'd had a bit to drink/smoke but didn't want that to become a necessity. Have nice girlfriend to snuggle up to now but it doesn't help me sleep much more.
As you say, an afternoon nap or a snooze when I get home from work is easy but any time after about 9.30 pm I cannot switch my brain off at all and relax. Never suffered any traumas or illness or anything - I just think I really am nocturnal, probably I should move to New Zealand and my body clock would be well suited.
Anyway I have a flexible job so I don't have to drift in till later in the morning if I don't want to, but I usually feel pretty bleary eyed until lunch time.
When younger 5 hours sleep was OK an I was fine the next day, starting to feel a bit older though now and I can't take it without feeling knackered next day. Seems to be self regulating though because now I am getting realy knackered it is easier to sleep. Probably should have taken some medical advice on it but people don't seem to get it - just say read a book, drink some cocoa etc but once relaxed I will 'wake up' as soon as I try to go to sleep. On a related note it pi55es me off that toothpaste is always 'minty fresh', as a burst of that stuff in the mouth just wakes me up even more before going to bed - someone should bring out a relaxing flavour!!
Hey we are all different and at least I never get tired if I'm out late!
Old 25 January 2003, 10:13 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Wink

[Edited by BOB.T - 1/25/2003 10:14:28 PM]
Old 25 January 2003, 11:16 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

This guy also suffered...

...got a job driving a Taxi and "cleaning" the streets in the end

[Edited by Boost II - 1/25/2003 11:17:49 PM]
Old 26 January 2003, 12:47 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

had a real problem with 'acceptable' sleep patterns for many years; inconsistently getting to sleep at 2 - 3 am after lying awake for 2 or 3 hours.

And waking at 7 for work was pretty much an impossibility.

So I only ever applied for jobs that offered flexi-time, so I could sleep in and roll into work at 10 am.

Strange effect was that if the boss saw you still at work on flexi-time at 6pm you got noted as a keen worker!

This all changed a few years back when, for different reasons, I taught myself relaxation techniques (bordering on self-hypnosis) and now I'm asleep within 5 mins of going to bed.

Blinking marvellous.

Recommendation - try a course in relaxation / self-hypnosis - it's legal and drug free. Takes from 6 - 12 weeks to get the full benefit.

Here's to a good night's sleep
Old 26 January 2003, 01:34 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

try some lavender incense sticks. failing that some temazepam from your gp will induce a comatose effect within 30 mins.

cheers

big sinky
Old 26 January 2003, 02:02 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Nitol works a bit - I have had strange sleep patterns since early teenage. I usually get between 4-5 hours, always between 1am and 7am which I find is plenty, but if I light the fire and lie down on the sofa with one of the kids at any time of the day I will be out cold in seconds. Seems like a question of relaxation. Can't fall asleep reading or watching TV - get so zoned into OU at 3.30 in the morning that I end up trying to count the starts an hour later

The other complete guaranteed method is to get a job as a labourer. Mixing mortar with a shovel is nice work - pays about 20 quid a day. You get there 2 hours before the brickies and leave 2 hours after them. If you manage to get from the front door to bed without falling asleep you must have been in the trade for years
Old 26 January 2003, 04:02 AM
Ralf
Scooby Regular

Another Insomniac here. Exactly the same as Boost. I can easily fall asleep at dawn. Not good if you have to get up for work the next day. Maybe I should look for a job at night but then I love the night and regard it as mine and don't want to ruin it with work. Both my sisters suffer from the same. I cleary makes you tired and lets you age more than necessary. I strongly believe it's a mental problem.
Old 26 January 2003, 04:03 AM
Ralf
Scooby Regular

Just look at the posting time