Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

HELP: Pre-pay mobile phones

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2001, 06:05 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I am thinking of getting one of these and have a few questions.

1. Can a normal mobile phone be converted into a pre-pay one or do you have to buy them as pre-pay models to start with?

2. Do the vouchers (or whatever they're called) run out after x months or can you buy a voucher and keep it for a year or so until you use all of it?

3. Do you still get a messaging service with voicemail?

4. Who are the best brand/provider of pre-pay mobile phones.

Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I will mainly be using it for incoming calls and the occasional call made by me (hence the decision to get a pre-pay one and not a monthly line rental normal one).

Cheers

AWD
Old 07 April 2001, 06:40 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

My phone was a contract phone, But when the contract run out I popped into a phone shop and bought a new sim card and that was it. I still had all the same services but I am now pay as you go. I don't know how long the cards last I only put £10 on the phone every 6 months or so.
Old 07 April 2001, 06:49 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

I think most networks have non-expiry vouchers now.

Orange work on the principle that if you do not use your phone for 6 months (incoming or out-going) they will disconnect you. You can reconnect for free, but you may not get your original number back.

They all do voicemail, some charge for this, I'm not sure if they all do.

I think the 4 providers are pretty much the same. It'll come down to their call rate packages.

Dave
Old 07 April 2001, 06:56 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

AWD

The answer to your questions depends on the network (and can vary depending on options within a given network). Best bet is to pop into your local Carphone Warehouse (or similar) and pick up a leaflet or browse the various web sites for info.

1) For example, Orange allow you to re-connect a disconnected Orange phone (gotta be 1800MHz) onto Just Talk with a SIM pack for GBP25. However, to be honest, you would be better off buying a new phone, which will have a new battery, and probably be smaller, last longer etc. Some dealers do trade-ins - which might be an option.

2) Depends on the network. It is becoming the norm for them to be everlasting, but some tariffs require top-ups every month or so.

3) Usually, though you might not want to use it - Orange 10ppm, O2O Free, Cellnet 10ppm, Vody 5 to 35ppm.

4) I am biased, and think that Orange is best, but you need to look at your "call profile" to decide. Are you calling mainly peak or off-peak, do you mainly call land-lines, do you call other networks, what network do your friends use? Note that Orange allows _you_ to select your off-peak times (23:00-07:00 plus either 07:00-11:00, 11:00-15:00, 15:00-19:00 or 19:00-23:00) - this can drop a 25ppm call to 5ppm!

Sadly, you timed this a bit late, as all four networks have just increased the price of their pre-pay phones by a bit chunk. There are still a few dealers out there selling at the old prices though!

mb
Old 07 April 2001, 07:31 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Same as the other Bob for me! I was on Orange everyday 50 and swapped to just talk, it was free to change and they threw in five pound credit for free. In about five months it's cost me about twenty quid!

Bob
Old 07 April 2001, 08:23 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for the info guys. Its really great that you guys take the time to post replies to questions.

Thanks again.

AWD
Old 08 April 2001, 01:47 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Ok, simple really, if you are at the end of your contract your service provider will usually be able to convert your sim card to pay as you go (PAYG), often there is no fee for this (is true of voda and orange, I know).

Pretty much all services are available and orange/one2one and voda all do PAYG vouchers that do not expire as long as you use the phone at least once in 6 months.

If you have an orange or one2one phone then they will be locked to that network meaning that only a sim card from that network will work, you can call the service provider to have them unlock the phone, but there is a fee for this (£20-£35). Most Voda/Cellnet ones won't be locked, some are however.

PAYG sim cards can be bought from dealers in the telephones sections of Exchange & Mart much cheaper than £25, I got one for a freind for £5 including £5 of calls.

However, I just pay for the call I make and get billed monthly (at fairly cheap rate), and this only works with orange and virgin sim cards (virgin works any one2one phone or like orange in any unlocked GSM1800 phone). To specify this on Orange Simply have an orange sim card (any will do so long as there is no contract left to run), and call them ask to move to 'OVP virgin tariff', they charge small connect fee (about £5) and you only get billed for the calls you make, also voicemail is then free.

Or you can just buy the virgin sim card and call them and set up an account. For me this is no good as it uses the one2one network which is very bad in my area, where orange is by far the best.

This is probably clear as much now, but mail me if you need any more help.

Jon
Old 08 April 2001, 10:21 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for the info Jon.

I hardly use my current movile phone (have to return it to my company as I'm leaving them) so I was considering the pre pay.

What are One 2 One like (coverage and customer servvice etc.) as their free voicemail access seems quite attractive.
Old 09 April 2001, 10:56 AM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

I used to have a Talktime (contract) package with Orange, but switched over to Just Talk about a year ago, and for me this works out quite a lot cheaper. I think Orange's coverage is excellent - I've never once failed to get a connection - and their customer service is very good as well.

The only irritant is that you still pay for calls to freephone numbers - although for all I know this might apply to all packages and mobile phone companies.

Pete
Old 09 April 2001, 05:03 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Talking

I'm on Orange Just talk, it was either them or 121. If you buy the £50 voucher its the cheapest one to run (well it was 6 months ago) and reception / coverage is excellent. 121 in my area has poor reception, it was handy that the person at Carphone warehouse told me that as I was deciding

Justin
Old 09 April 2001, 10:15 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

AWD,

Hi,
Ive had a 0ne2one all in one for the last 18 months and have just bought another one a week ago £69 includes ericcson t10 phone,hands free,car charger,holder,case and 30 mins of calls anytime each month for 18 months and only 10p min for calls over your 30.check out
Old 10 April 2001, 12:41 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated.

I've just found out that Tesco are doing a "Spend £50 on groceries and get £20 off a pay as you go phone" for this week only - so I might go and check that offer out.

I'll also go to the CarPhoneWarehouse and see what the latest offers are.

I will probably get a cheapish phone (sub £50) as there's just no need (for me) for a state of the art phone - as long as it works and is not the size of a fridge it'll do me fine.

Are there any places that sell second hand pay as you go phones?
Old 10 April 2001, 10:46 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

I got an Orange Just Talk 3210e today for £50 from Tesco.

Thanks for all the info/advice guys.

Much appreciated.