Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Places to see, things to do in Paris

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2003, 10:15 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off to Paris for Valentines over 3 nights/4 days. Anyone suggest stuff to go and see so that we dont come back thinking ah **** we should have done that? A starting list (seeing as I have never been before):

Eiffel Tower
Moulin Rouge
Arc de Triomphe
The Louvre
Notre Dame Cathedral

Simon.
Old 21 January 2003, 10:26 AM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

A boat trip is nice if your with a woman- you get to see the city in a different perspective. Weather dependent though. they depart from nr the Tour Eiffel and nr the Louvre.
The view from the top of the "Samaritain" dept store is free and well worth a look due to its location slap bang in the middle of the city. Ditto the view from the top of the Arc De Triumph (4€ I think).
Go to the latin quarter its tres chic!
Depending on what kind of people you are try a visit to the catacombs (all the skeletons of Paris graveyards were relocated here- spooky you can touch them if u dare!) miles of twisty tunnels full of human remains!
Watch out for robbing pickpocket scum in the tourist areas!
Old 21 January 2003, 10:33 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

P1, book up a table in Bar Fly for the big night. Its my favourite restaurant in Paris and was recommended to me by a friend that spends a lot of time there. Great food and great atmosphere.

Its in Rue Georges V, just down from Arc de Triomphe, off Champs Elysee. Book it now though as it is difficult to get into, they speak perfect English.
Old 21 January 2003, 10:36 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

http://www.elegant-lifestyle.com/par...ertainment.htm

Also worth trying Budda Bar but this was booked months ahead when we tried. Both owned by the same bloke.
Old 21 January 2003, 10:44 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Short boat trip on the Seine: Eiffel Tower to Notre Dame is nice,
Sacre Coeur, and the area round it called Montmartre, although
watch for pickpockets. Moonrise over Sacre Coeur
is very romantic!
Walk along the rh side of the Champs Elysees from "Rond point des Champs Elysees" to The Arc de Triomphe. There is a good Monoprix about half way along, and it has a grocery dept in the basement, where if the weather allows, you can buy picnic stuff. Don't forget to carry a corkscrew if you go this route!!
The Jardin des Tuileries
The small church of Sainte Chappelle: about a 5 minute walk from Notre Dame, often missed by tourists, and difficult to find, as it's in the middle of the Palais de Justice, but containing probably the best stained glass windows in the world! There are about 20 of them, and they tell the whole bible story, old and new testament! Once described to me as like being in a glass of wine!
Les Halles, if you/wife like Mall shopping
The Quartier Latin, south of the Ile de la Cite: interesting to look at, cheap and varied to eat in.
Pere Lachaise cemetery: containing famous graves, and interesting to follow the adoring graffiti to the grave of Jim Morrison.
The Jardin du Trocadero: good place to picnic if weather will allow, otherwise, good place to see and photograph THE tower, and the gardens/fountains.
Hotel Des Invalides: not a hotel, more of a museum, and contains the tomb of Napoleon.
Various museums, but the outside of the Musee D'Orsay is interesting, as is the inside, as it used to be a terminus station!
I can recommend a book/map called "City Pack Paris", published by the AA, available at Smiths, or ISBN:0-7495-1178-8, containing a good map, and an excellent guide book, about £5
Alcazar