Widescreen: WEGA or TAU?

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2001, 11:09 AM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi there,

Got some cash burning a hole in my pocket, but not allowed to buy Brembo brakes from Scoobysport (sorry Pete) as the wife thinks we should get a huge TV...

We're looking at 32 or 36 inch Panasonic Tau or Sony WEGA... anybody got any experience with either of these, I've seen the WEGA in action at a friends, it's good, but the 'smart' widescreen mode gives me a headache.

Any advice gratefully received.

Simon.
Old 03 March 2001, 07:08 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

I have a Sony Wega - It can get a bit intelligent for its own good, but if you don't like Smart mode etc you can switch these features off. The picture is the best of any I've seen - something to do with more powerful digital enhancement than the competitors but I'm not too well up on the technical aspects.

It passed my girlfriends stringent interior decor coordination requirements as well
Old 03 March 2001, 11:19 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I've got last year's top of the range 32" Wega. After lots of comparing, I preferred the sony by far... I could be biased, though, but My parents have a 14" Trinitron that is 25+ years old, has been dropped down the stairs and still gives out a cfrystal clear picture!
Old 03 March 2001, 11:21 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Forgot. I just leave it set to Wide mode. After a couple of days you get used to the different proportions. Far better than Smart Mode.
Old 03 March 2001, 11:28 PM
topdog
Scooby Regular

Got the 28"panasonic PK2 with flat screen and pro logic (brilliant sound) very pleased with it. I leave the screen mode on panasonic auto so it sorts itself out.
Dewi
Old 03 March 2001, 11:35 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

I liked the Wega more than the Tau on a recent shopping spree for a friend, more natural colours and less digital smearing on 100hz.

Check out
Old 05 March 2001, 09:27 AM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Hi folks,

Thanks for the advice... we've decided to go for the Tau 32 inch non Dolby (because I have a Dolby DVD player and will pipe that straight to a Dolby amp). Ordering it tomorrow (John Lewis is closed Mondays) so should arrive soon (I hope!).

Thanks again,

Simon (next time I get some spare cash, I'll be after some brakes from Scoobysport... unless my wife has other ideas!).
Old 07 March 2001, 01:09 PM
Mr Grim Reaper
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by simon_prickett:
<B>Next time I get some spare cash, I'll be after some brakes from Scoobysport... unless my wife has other ideas!.[/quote]

She'll always have "other ideas"

MGR

Old 07 March 2001, 01:12 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

You're right there, wardrobes at the moment... sorry Pete, I really *want* to spend some money with you :-(

Went to buy the Tau, and they don't have any for a while so will get one shortly I hope!