Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are there any Quantity Surveyors on the board?????

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2003, 09:40 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm having to take a new direction career wise, and have two options I'm interested in....

1) Technical Draftsman (CAD) either buildings or engineering/mechanical. I can take an HNC in engineering and a C&G in Autocad part-time, and get a position as soon as I've finished the CAD course. No problem there...

2) Quantity Surveyor This would probably be my favoured option as it best suits my best working skills.

The question is how do I get into it?
Is there such a thing as trainee positions with day release courses etc?
What qualifications am I likely to need?

Any advice greatly appreciated
Old 15 January 2003, 10:07 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yep QS I am.

Most companies/consultants would welcome someone enthusiastic.

Approach them (generally the personnel dept) saying that your are currently a (dunno wot you do) and whether they have a training scheme that would suit you. I have recently just employed a lad who is doing a day release course somewhere in Guildford (havent asked him yet as new with the company). The personnel dept sorted out the placement and he turned up, simple.

Also depends on wot career - building/civil engineering etc.

Give us more details and I'll try and help more

Ru
Old 16 January 2003, 12:01 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

My brother is a QS. He just kind of fell into it. He has been attending UNI for the last 3 years on day release. He seems to quite enjoy it. Working hours can be VERY long. He has also done a fair bit of Law in the course as well.

Old 16 January 2003, 09:06 AM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Cool

I used to be an Equity Trader for an Investment Bank, so it seems like a big departure. However getting back in seems impossible at he moment and I wanted to move on to something I knew I'd enjoy rather than just something obvious and easy which I might not.
I have no preference over building/civil engineering as its the general role I'm interested in rather than the industry behind it.

When you say speak to companies, do you mean like Chartered QS firms, or firms that would employ a QS?

Thanks
Old 16 January 2003, 10:19 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Disco I was a QS but changed careers 11 years ago.

Consider it as a cross between an accountant and a solictor, but you are paid half as much as either of these would earn. That said, I freelanced for subbies and earnt some very good money through the late 80s, early 90s. I also worked on some nice jobs... Royal Albert Hall refurb, various embassy refits, Canary Wharf, Dome and a few prestigious new build offices.

All building management people are in high demand these days.
Old 16 January 2003, 11:02 AM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Cool

So what do you do these days Pete? LOL
Old 16 January 2003, 01:52 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

take up plastering Disco Ive just paid one £2000 for 10 days work (mind you he is dammned fast and he puts in the hours).

Got a best mate who i a QS and he is payed basically to argue the toss over every clause in the building contract he can find. contracts can go from profit to loss with a bad QS and Vice versa with a good one so it can be a high pressure job and some long hours.
contracts are often done and dusted and 18 months later the QS of both parties are still arguing the toss over how thick the paint was.
Old 16 January 2003, 02:02 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've done long hours and high pressure before, I enjoy working hard and thrive on pressure, so no probs there.
Old 16 January 2003, 02:14 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Unhappy

Disco - I trained at Tech college to be an Architectural Technician some 12 years ago, and followed the completion of the four year course doing tech / CAD drafting at various Architect practices.

CAD & tech. drafting became fairly boring fairly quickly.

Just my two pennieth

Old 16 January 2003, 05:30 PM
Sparky's dream
Scooby Newbie

I used to be a draftsman, even did the autocad thing. Chucked it all in after 5 years, you cant really do anything with it other than draw houses etc. You will get bored. Be warned. I would do the QS thing, perhaps a little more hard work to begin with but ultimatley it will be more satisfying.
Old 16 January 2003, 05:34 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Talking

best idea is to train to be a plumber one of the tabloids was reporting they can earn up to 200k a year!

Old 17 January 2003, 04:29 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

I have to recommend Quantity Surveying as the range of work is diverse and there are plenty of companies crying out for them.

There are many routes into becoming a QS or PQS the diffrence basically between working for a contractor or a consultant. I started out as Civil Engineer with a HND in civils and spent my site time land surveying and setting out houses and stadiums. I then went on to do a degree in Construction Engineering and Management and then completing the APC in order to become a member of the RICS. I am now working towards a qualification in arbitration.
But
You can also join an apprenticeship type route with a major contractor. You should aim to recieve training at least up to HNC/HND level. What age are you ? What qualifications do you have? The CAD drafting route would be based on similar qualifications but you may will limit your career progression.

As a QS you will be dealing with people and financial issues - everything the world is based upon. Your career can be extremely diverse and if you want to see the world you wouldnt be going wrong. if you want any help send me an email
Old 18 January 2003, 07:07 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers Neil, my old man started off life as a technical draftsman (mind you computers hadn't been invented then, never mind AutoCad etc)before moving into other areas of engineering. He now owns his own engineering firm and also (bizarrly) a recruitment company. So I guess if I did get bored at least there is an opportunity to develop technical understandings and I've got a great role model to show me how far you can go. I guess boredom is why draftsman are in big demand at the moment.

GE, thanks for info, I'll send you a mail in a minute.