ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New ScoobyNet members....

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2000, 01:20 PM
NickPM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Posting about on various boards at the moment and had an interesting post from the Lancer turbo Registrar.
The introductory response was really poor on this site, say I asked why?

Tony, an all round nice POTN guy came back and said he didn't have much to say to all the other drivers of different marques....so I replied as follows:

------------------

"Ahhh. Tony, didn't realise that you found us through LTR. Hope you are well.

Yes, I can see this point very clearly, and it is an important one.
As you know our boards can be quite informal, but it's early days.
We know that all marque require their own defined section, but we thought it best to form a community first before spitting them into sections.

Thank you so much for asking for stock. We are building the community and site but our merchants would love to see it work well, but it seems as soon as you throw commerce into the bulletin board melting pot it sours the purity of a site. We will not let this happen.

We want to support sites like LTR, by bringing people to you not vise-versa. We have people who have found us, who drive Evos, and no doubt thought the same as yourself, no Evos, no point. But this is not true.
Our members run the site, and they call the shots. If you think that you need your own page, meetings etc for it to be worthwhile please let us know, and if it means redirection to LTR, fine.

I have been to many bulletin boards and seen open discussions on club memberships dwindle, more so with the types which ceased production some time ago. I think working together, not agaist is the way forward. Commerce can sustain an infracstructure of clubs and give them a platform where they can all co-exist. A light version of your site could be hosted with us, which redirects to LTR. I don't know..just ideas...

The internet is a great thing, where at a click you can have the information you want. You just need to know where to look. If they don't know your there they will never bother looking....

Many of our members are also in owners clubs, and might be considering a change of marque. Could this be your next loyal member of LTR...?

Apologies for cheekyness in first posts. I thought I was talking to myself. "

I wondered very interested to know the opinions of SIDC members are on this subject and what is the strategy to get new members for car clubs in years to come?

Nick

IP: Logged

Hos
Scooby Regular
From undee, Scotland/Oxford, England
posted 10 September 2000 06:15 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Big suggestion Nick - Make a new topic for this post otherwise it shall get ignored.. people may have looked in the post once, but may decide they are not interested and missed a few of your last posts.
I lost you abit while reading your post, but after reading it twice it did make sense.
It is an important one, but for the people on these boards you have to give them something that they do not already have - which is hard. From what i've seen of POTN there is just so much potential waiting to happen and no doubt to my mind that if you guys keep working the way you are .. you will become very successful.

You may find it hard to attract people in the beginning , but that is because most marques have everything they need in one place such as Imprezas having Scoobynet, Scoobysport, and Scoobymania..etc. With the Scoobynet shop about to open that could cause problems for you attracting people.

You are correct with the comment on - you have to know where to look - I myself am an example. When i bought my Subaru, i wasn't told about SIDC (the official club) and if i was i didn't pay much attention at the time. I luckily stumbled across SIDC last year and from there i found Scoobynet (I can honestly say i would be lost without it).

Sites like POTN are terrific because you are not only building a community like Scoobynet and LTR , but you are building it around all marques and managing to keep it centred on whats needed , not whats not here.

You will in time get all the exposure you need and people will notice you if they haven't already - I did. I know for a fact you guys behind the scenes have alot of ideas to go even further than the usual.

The bloke "Tony" may not have anything to say to owners of other marques, but it gives you the opertunity to learn about other cars and find out all the details needed about what they are like and how they perform. A prime example is what is the Audi S3 like? If you drive an Impreza. If there wasn't someone who has one or driven one then you would have no insight on it.

You are fully correct on the comment "Could this be your next loyal member of LTR...? " No doubt most of the people on here owned something like a Pugeot before they got there Scoob and everyone starts out on something small. For instance i would have something like a Skyline if i could afford the car and insurance at this time in my life , no doubt when my career gets further down the line in a few years i will, but there is bound to be something bigger and better by then.

I know this post is a little skewiff.. but it is 6am on a Sunday morning but no doubt you get the general idea. Anyway keep up the good work,
Ian

Old 15 September 2000, 03:14 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up