Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Football hooligans - the players! (SCUM)

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2001, 12:00 AM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Erm, innocent until proved guilty?

From the BBC Web site:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>following the <B>alleged attack</B> on 12 January last year. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they are found guilty, then fair enough - I think the Leeds chairman has said they'll never play for Leeds again.

Chris.

[This message has been edited by ChrisB (edited 13 February 2001).]
Old 13 February 2001, 12:21 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Fair play Chris!
Apparently it was all on CCTV!
Old 13 February 2001, 11:28 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Angry

Football is something I really do not like, mainly because of nature of a small minority of the supporters (my opinion and if you like football, fair enough ). (Also, I am pants and have two left feet!).

What really f$%ks me off however, is when I see headlines on The Daily Mail proclaiming that an England player and other mentally deficient players (from Leeds I think), kicked the living crap out of an Asian student! Total , total scum. If the players are like this, I can now see why some of the supporters behave like cave men.

The players involved should be BANNED FOR LIFE. Then they would possibly have to learn some other skills.

Like spelling their name and basic, very basic addition.

There. Got that off my chest.

Jon.
Old 13 February 2001, 01:06 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

fair point mossman

IMHO one of the biggest lies of the 20th century was when someone called football players "professionals".

They are a bunch of *****. The have got to be about as far away from professional as anyone I have ever met.

Most of them are arrogant ***** who would be struggling to hold down a job at McDs if the british obsession with football died down.

robski
Old 13 February 2001, 01:20 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by robski:
<B>fair point mossman

IMHO one of the biggest lies of the 20th century was when someone called football players "professionals".

They are a bunch of *****. The have got to be about as far away from professional as anyone I have ever met.

Most of them are arrogant ***** who would be struggling to hold down a job at McDs if the british obsession with football died down.

robski[/quote]

Wild generalisation!!! I'm sure most are professional, but like with all these things there are a few that let the side down!!

Old 13 February 2001, 01:36 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sorry have to disagree with that.

Ive met quite a few actually and have not yet met one who is professional.

Just look at their on the pitch antics. Trying to get each other booked, trying to con the ref, threatening the ref, you can go on and on and on

so when you are at work and a decision goes against you do you lash out at them, or spit at them, !?

robski
Old 13 February 2001, 01:39 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Question

Strange sense of "equality" here.

What is winding you up more, the fact they are footballers, or your assumption it was a racist attack?

Local newspapers are criticised by "community leaders" for describing attackers or hooligans etc as "Asian" etc, because it doesn't matter. A group of threatening youths is a group of threatening youths, Asian or otherwise. A no go area for the police isn't dependant on the racial origins of the inhabitants.

Surely ethnic origin is only relevant if it is given as part of a description eg red haired Irishman, 6 feet tall etc.

In this instance then why is the alleged victim not described simply as a student?

Has your sense of outrage been increased by the racist overtones of this case? Were you there? How can you comment with such vitriol when you don't know the circumstances or full facts? What was caught on CCTV was the attack, not the whole episode. Have you ever been threatened yourself in a nightclub?

A 23year old bloke nearly died recently in Oldham when a group of approx 12 youths attacked him (he was alone having got off a train)in a Subway in the evening/night. This was highlighted by the local police chief as one of a growing number of "racist" attacks in the area. I believe The Mail on Sunday ran a report on it this week.

That statement was greeted by howls of protest that it was in itself racist. There are people who want to pretend it is not happening. Why, I don't know.

This sort of stuff is going on all the time. When the people involved are not famous, do you get so vitriolic about that? Have you written to your MP?

And what's this "footballers are arrogant unprofessional tw**ts". They're not unique in that respect are they? There are plenty of so called IT "professionals" who'd easily qualify, not to mention plenty of folks in the City and company board rooms in general.

So these are petulant drunks who started ( or reacted to someone else who started)a fight, would it matter if they played cricket, traded shares, or "managed property" for a living? Why should their livelihood be taken away "FOR LIFE"? Nobody else's is.

Ref. Dr. H. Shipman, striking off of.

And just what has it got to do with football?

Trending Topics

Old 13 February 2001, 03:09 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Surely, if they are found guilty they will get jailtime and once they get out they will no longer be able to play at a professional level - so the lifetime ban is academic.

Footballers are humans - there are some to55ers and there are some nice guys. You can't blame football for the actions of some of the players.

More damage has been done by football supporters than by players. Violent football supporters come from a wide cross-section of the population so we can't generalise about them except that they are mindless w@nkers.
Old 13 February 2001, 03:10 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

The above is just my 2 cents worth....

Hooliganism pi55es me off - whatever form it takes.
Old 13 February 2001, 03:32 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Good points raised by all....

I would point out that one of the nicest guys I have ever met is Marcus Hahneman, who plays in goal for Fulham and also posts on this 'ere BBS !

I really object to the unbelievable amount of money which is spent on policing football games when compared to cricket, rugby etc. Ok, they are all large public events but the money spent on controlling a minority is massively disproportionate when compared to other sports.

Jon
Old 13 February 2001, 04:05 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Angry

I have to say if this is the case Leeds may lose them for some time to big bubba and some evil prison lads!

If they are proven guilty then lets hope they get their just deserts!

R

Old 13 February 2001, 04:11 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

All very valid points but unfortunately a certain Mr. Bowyer's reputation preceeds him. It wasn't that long ago that he was in court having launched much of the furniture in a MacDonalds restaurant over the counter.
Perhaps one of the staff told him that he wouldn't have been able to hold down a job in there!

[This message has been edited by SimonD (edited 13 February 2001).]
Old 14 February 2001, 09:10 AM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Hello,

I despise racism and hooliganism.

I also find it bizzare that football is so well loved and promoted by the media when it has always had a lot of violence associated with it.

I happen to prefer video games which according to the press are evil and must be destroyed, yet football seem to casue far more attacks and death.
Old 14 February 2001, 09:38 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Well said GT !
Old 14 February 2001, 01:28 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

GT you're right.

Going back a bit (before video games) I recall it was Tom & Jerry, war films/comics, and Cowboys v. Indians.

I enjoyed playing "war" as a kid also the dressing up as a cowboy with a six shooter (and I might add whooping like an Indian and firing a bow and arrow).

It did not prejudice my perception of Germans, Japanese nor Indians! But then I knew it wasn't real.

Unfortunately many people (not just kids) today seem to have a reality by pass and just don't know where to draw the line.
Old 14 February 2001, 01:47 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Have you met any American Indians?
Old 15 February 2001, 01:56 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Talking

No, but wait for it...................

I've dealt with a few cowboys!
Old 15 February 2001, 02:21 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Boom boom.... Basil Brush would be proud...