Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Best time of year for gliding

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2003, 12:04 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I received a gliding voucher for Christmas. Would like to book up, but wondering if there's much difference between spring and summer in terms of thermals etc? Don't know much about it yet
Old 07 January 2003, 12:05 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Calling Nimbus....
Old 07 January 2003, 12:08 PM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Wink

When its windy?

M.
Old 07 January 2003, 12:22 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

When its windy?
Corker that
Old 07 January 2003, 12:24 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Not today
Old 07 January 2003, 01:03 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Wink

Stop it, you're killing me!
Old 07 January 2003, 02:13 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ahhh, one of my favourite past-times....

I've been gliding now for about 4 / 5 years. I had a "Air Experience" afternoon at my local club (The Soaring Centre) for my birthday in September. I'd always wanted to do have a go. I had a briefing and ground instruction and then a Aero-tow to 2500 feet with an instructor. I also had a winch launch that afternoon as we had not been able to get upto the 3000 foot they usually do for Aero-tows. I think the Areo-tow lasted about 15 mins and the winch about 5.

I then booked a full weeks intensive course in May the following year, as I wanted to try and get solo and then have the rest of the summer to fly. I didn't quite do it (two whole days rained off), but did another full days course in August and did my first solo I've been flying on and off ever since. Usually I fly in the summer after work.

With the British weather, you could end up with a fantastic day for flying in the spring, and a rained off day in the summer. It's really the look of the draw. During my weeks course we had a blinder of a day. Sunny, with a few showers. Air not too warm, but plenty of blue sky. We got to about 5000 feet on one flight . Obviously, summer is probably going to mean better weather, but there's no guarantee. You will enjoy it

Oh, I also organised a gliding evening for Scoobynetters a couple of years ago. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. You can read about it here and some comments for the people after the event here.

Have Fun!!!

Old 07 January 2003, 03:00 PM
ariel
Scooby Regular

April is the start of the thermal season and will not be so busy either. Remember that airfields are big open spaces so make sure that you and anyone with you have warm weather gear and you will enjoy the day all the better.
Old 01 July 2003, 01:31 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Jlanng,

Don't do it any more as I decided I wasn't going to get anywhere being 6'8" and nearly 20 stone - not built for it Reached solo in a basic wooden glider but the next one up has a weight limit of about 16 stone! But it is fantastic and I would have carried it on if I could. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Basically, you will have an excellent time at any time of the year, the only thing that affected is the duration of the flight.

In a straight circuit (i.e. not finding any thermals at all) you will be flying for anything from 8 to 20 minutes depending on the launch method (Reverse Motor Tow, Aerotow or Winch). If you have a friendly instructor and perfect conditions, you will only be limited by how long the instructor decides.

I presume from your location you'll be going to Lasham, I think they use a winch, but never been there. Also they are a large semi-pro outfit so they might keep their 'tourist' flights shorter even if you have excellent conditions.

Going in the early season, but on a good day, you stand as good a chance of a long flight, as they often get busy with on-spec visitors in the summer.

I used to go to the Aston Down Cotswold Gliding Club, and they were very well equipped, and very friendly. They always recommended booking as you get priority over the on-specs but each club probably has their own systems.

The launch mechanism (Reverse Motor Tow) at CGC is brilliant and the air field is one of the best and one of the few gliding clubs with a runway for take off rather than grass.

I would say don't anticipate getting a very long trial flight, and if you do get one, that's a bonus, if you don't your disappointment won't cloud your evaluation of gliding. Even if it is short, it should give you an indication of whether you love it or hate it.

IIRC for legal reasons the trial flight has to be classified as a lesson, and as only members can have lessons you are given 1 months temp membership, so if you love it, you can come back for more flights at member rates, being more selective about the weather - summer evenings often give late thermals and long flights without being too busy.

Enjoy!!

Alex

[Edited by BigGT3Fan - 1/7/2003 2:48:10 PM]