Don't be a fat barsteward anymore!

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2003, 12:25 AM
turbonutter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Really need to shift some weight fast!

Looking to get rid of at least 2 stone within next 60 days.

Anybody got any suggestions that don't involve surgery?

Diets, exercise routines, pills or potions.

Does Zotrin realy work? What about Epidril?

Cheers guys and girls!
Old 07 January 2003, 12:31 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't bother with pills or potions to shift 2 stone in 2 months, you should be able to do this easily with a sensible, sustainable diet (i.e. change to a method of eating that you can do for ever, smaller portions, low fat, balanced meals) and a good exercise regime.
Old 07 January 2003, 12:52 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

You'll NEVER shift 28lbs in 2 months without catching some nasty, tropical disease!

There's only one simple way of shifting the lard and getting fitter - hard fooking work! Well 2 actually, the 2nd being a change of lifestyle.

Look at your diet, and start doing some simple excercise to start with.

It takes 3 to 4 months for any noticeable change to become apparent. If you go mad at it (crash diet + silly excercise regime) you'll jack it in within a month through starvation, exhaustion or boredom.

A nice, easy start progressing into a habit forming plan for life is the best way.

HTH

PS Was at the gym today and it was packed. Half the people there were the normal crowd, the other the 'new year resolution lot' that won't be back 'til Jan '04 once their 2wks of puffing away is up!
Old 07 January 2003, 01:21 AM
turbonutter
Scooby Regular

Can easily go for 6 month gap at gym then easily do a 10km run on the tread-mill followed by an hour on assorted aerobic and anaerobic machines. Have dropped a stone in 6 weeks before without any side effects. But put it back on since Oct-Dec.

Don't mind the hardwork, diet change etc, but is there anything to speed up the process?
Old 07 January 2003, 12:22 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

You'll NEVER shift 28lbs in 2 months without catching some nasty, tropical disease!
Bit of a sweeping statement that, depends on:

A) how obese he is now
B) What his current diet is
c) What his current exercise regime is.

Someone who is overweight, over-eating the wrong foods with no exercise can easily lose 28lbs in 2 months (less than half a pound a day) by starting to eat right and exercise properly. In fact, you'd probably lose 14 lbs in the first 2 - 3 weeks, in my experience, which admittedly is limited
Old 07 January 2003, 12:30 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Depends how overweight you are, but the low-carb 'Dr Atkins diet' would shift a lot of weight fast. Not healthy though
Old 07 January 2003, 12:33 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Eat less / Move around more, works everytime.
Doc
Old 07 January 2003, 12:34 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

A few people from here have tried that...looks terribly unhealthy and not one of them has seen "fat melting off"... They don't recommend it, unless you are a BIG meat eater.
Old 07 January 2003, 12:37 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

There was a guy who did it on the Trevor McDonald show last night. He lost a stone in two weeks IIRC
Old 07 January 2003, 12:40 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

fad diets don't work long term. You need to modify your eating and exercise behaviour in such a way that you continue eating and exercising like this all the time. Use any other method and you will fall back into old habits and pile the weight back on quicker than you lost it.
Old 07 January 2003, 12:46 PM
blair
Scooby Regular

Anyone see the program on Ch 4 last night that was about some scientist working in the states who thinks that obesity is linked to a virus ?

Apparently the virus changes the way that fat cells work and those that are usually dormant, waiting to be used to store fat if required, are sparked into like by this virus triggering wait gain and eventually obesity. Once you've had the virus it goes away once your body has fought off the virus but leaves the fat cells f*cked up and in hyper mode.

The antibodies to the virus were present in around 30% of obese people in the states and the UK.

Once you've caught it there is no cure.

Scary huh ?

A
Old 07 January 2003, 12:49 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I'm not fat I'm big boned
I'm not fat, it's my glands
I'm not fat it's a virus I caught.

My ****. Notice how lots of fat people have fat kids? It's because they are all sedentary, greedy pigs and they pass that on to thier children. It's a disease of sorts.

I'm fat and I hate it and I'm doing something about it rather than making excuses.
Old 07 January 2003, 12:50 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

fad diets don't work long term
But he wants to shift 2 stone in a month! Calls for something pretty radical
Old 07 January 2003, 12:53 PM
blair
Scooby Regular

>I'm not fat I'm big boned
>I'm not fat, it's my glands
>I'm not fat it's a virus I caught

I was pretty sceptical as well but there does seem to be some link between fat people and the virus.

Doesn't mean that the virus turns you in to a lard *** though - it might be that lard asses are just more susceptable to catching the virus.

Check out http://www.channel4.com/health/micro..._fatvirus.html

A
Old 07 January 2003, 02:27 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

Don't go to the chippie every night. Eat lettuce and cucumber all day.
Old 07 January 2003, 03:33 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

ok notorious, I'll re-phrase. You'll never lose 28lbs in two months by using healthy methods.

A half a pound per day weight loss would mean taking drastic, stupid and quite frankly dangerous steps to shift that lard over a two month period.

2lbs per week is the maximum you're meant to aim for according to everything I've ever read. So, 3 1/2 months is a more realistic target to shift 28lbs.

A friend of mine tried the British Heart Foundation Diet which was designed for people that required imminent heart surgery but were too fat to risk the op. It's a really stupid diet to try if you just want to lose weight as it's almost starvation.

Anyway, he did it and managed to shift 10lbs in a month, a month that he described as the worst of his life!

He's now about 40lbs heavier than he was after experimenting with that diet just over a year ago.
Old 07 January 2003, 03:43 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

In no way am i recommending this, but,

I've done the drastic, stupid dangerous way twice and it's worked both times (over a stone lost in a month). One thing i did notice though.... when using "diet powder" i ate a lot healthier and did a shedload more excercise. The healthy eating and excercise stuck for a good while afterwards as well as i'd become used to the routine.

I hate to admit it but i'm planning to do it again soon.

*flame suit on*
Old 07 January 2003, 04:33 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Only way is to use the 'Atkins Diet' - basically no carbohydrates and lots of fat/protein. During the 2 week period expect to drop at least a stone! It works!
Old 07 January 2003, 10:58 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the stupid dangerous way?
Old 07 January 2003, 11:00 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

BLOATERS
Old 07 January 2003, 11:13 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Me and the Enemy tried the Atkins Diet and couldnt get on with it. We tried another one where you have red, green amber days, etc and it was such a crock that it encourages you to eat packet foods and made me have a very bad hypo overnight as the book was wrong about the carbs on some food we had (i am diabetic).

We tried the Carol Vorderman 28 day Detox and that was amazing, i lost 11 lb in 3 weeks. Now i have got out on my bike again i seem to have kept it off.

Dave

Oh and missing breakfast is the worst thing to do. I saw something that said that if you eat bran or some other compex carbs for breakfast then it helps to speed up your metabolism as it takes longer to break complex carbs down. So its all bran for brekkie salad for lunch and a healthy dinner for me.

[Edited by druddle - 1/7/2003 11:15:56 PM]
Old 07 January 2003, 11:16 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I ate less crap , walked up the stairs rather then using lifts and again lost weight without too much effort - ad still have blast once a week on chicken madras
Old 08 January 2003, 12:20 AM
steve G MAN
Scooby Regular

gimi a shout mate ill let ya know how to lose weight fast and safe
steve
Old 08 January 2003, 09:13 AM
ChrisB

I'm not a big believer in any of these 'fad' diets.

I joined a gym back in October 2000. I altered my diet a little bit - one sandwich for lunch instead of two and apple + banana instead of a cake - that sort of thing.

I've lost (and kept off) 3 1/2 stone since then. I still drink 5 to 10 pints of beer a week and eat currys, pizza etc.

Can't see the point of living on rabbit food or similar if you don't enjoy it.
Old 01 July 2003, 01:29 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Well if you can really do that you must be in your early 20s!

To speed up weight loss without side effects: eat only fruit in the morning along with loads of water; train (anaerobic) for an hour at lunch. Eat carbs directly after, along with lots more water, then a medium meal with meat and veg in the eve.

Drink only water and eat only fruit as a snack. You'll be starving but the weight will fall off if you are able to keep up with that regime.

Not fun, though.

Just don't eat carbs in the evening and keep pissing after all that water.

I did the above 3yrs ago after breaking my leg and putting on 20lbs. I lost the weight in 6wks and got back to my fighting weight.

If you're carrying lots of weight you could possibly lose 35lbs in that time, but only by sticking to that strict plan.

If you're used to **** food (McD's, loads of beer. etc.) then it'll kill ya!

Lifestyle is the thing to change!

Why work so hard for something to go back to the way you were, only to pile the **** back on agan?

Good luck, and if you want advice mail me.

[Edited by fatherpierre - 1/7/2003 1:34:38 AM]
Old 01 August 2003, 11:56 AM
RiMo
Scooby Regular

Smile

The Atkins Diet can work very effectively but I believe this only to be in the case of the grossly obese person! One of my collegues lost 10 stone in a year (25 stone to 15 stone)!! He did not do the diet alone though, he completely changed his lifestyle in that he exercised very regularly. He also suffered non of the short-term side effects.

My concern with the Atkins Diet is the long-term effects on your body, especially Diabetes as this runs in my Fathers side of the family!

I personally have lost 7lbs in the past 2 weeks by simply eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly.

Rich

[Edited by RiMo - 1/8/2003 11:58:43 AM]