Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Unusual/sneeky methods police use to catch you speeding...

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2003, 10:51 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
....any that you've come across post 'em here...( for all our sakes).....or even just run of the mill methods...

I.E. specs .... auto. reg. no. recognition and average speed calculation over a given distance (can be miles) (on m'way bridges?)

Not a heart warming subject but might just save someones licence/job

(p.s. just in case anyone thought this list irresponsible i think it's as likely to slow people down as encourage speeding )

Old 06 January 2003, 11:11 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I got caught speeding by the police car hiding on a bridge so that when you came round the top corner and not exactly hanging around they had done you but just as you came off the corner you could see them and slow down but it was too late by then

Just hate it when they jump out of the bushes though. Nearly crashed the car once cos I got such a fright!

AJ
Old 06 January 2003, 11:20 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I passed a bike cop who was hiding behind a sign (un-beknown to me, didn't even see in rear-view) who timed me with VASCAR and then blatted after me and did me for 90odd in a 60..

Not very happy that he was hiding on a nice straight road in middle of summer with no entrances....

Andy
Old 06 January 2003, 11:34 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
better post a couple myself methinks...

On m'way sliproads,to catch you from behind.

Doing 55mph on m'way in unmarked car so you blast past ,by which time its too late.

Mmmmmm......any more not so obvious ones...?
Old 07 January 2003, 07:54 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sitting in the middle of a roundabout... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Any van stuck on a bridge over a road... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Any camera anywhere... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07 January 2003, 08:06 AM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

matty,

I would have thought that motorway slip-roads would be exactly where the police WOULDN'T be - because of the much larger risk of any sort of accident while other motorists are trying to merge into the motorway?
Old 07 January 2003, 08:30 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see 'em hanging around the M5 slip roads in Somerset and into Devon when I blat down there.
I now look at the slip road and in my rear mirror as I pass.

Nick
Old 07 January 2003, 08:33 AM
mikeDaBike
Scooby Regular

Motorway sliproads are a classic place to find them sitting with a laser gun. Never speed past junctions. I forgot once on the M74 on a clear sunny morning and an empty motorway and came off 6 points the worse for it.
To be fair they did say "Sorry mate, we're going to have to do you for speeding..."

Weirdest one I've had was on the bike on the way to watch the superbikes at Cadwell. Was flagged down by a group of police bikers and told I was nicked. I'd been timed between two points by one of their colleagues sitting on top of a hill about a quarter of a mile away. To make it worse, as they were doing me, a group of four bikes zapped by at over 100mph....but then they have trouble prosecuting a group of speeders I believe. Maybe the solution is to speed in convoys ;-)
Old 07 January 2003, 08:45 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

And make sure you're in the middle because the ones at the front and the back will get nicked for speeding....

Matt
Old 07 January 2003, 08:45 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

They also sit on those ramps as well...almost been done a couple of times for that. Police car sat on top of the ramp but behind a bridge, so it's only as you come out of the bridge that you see them... Goits.
Old 07 January 2003, 09:27 AM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

Wink

I used to work with the police a few years ago and was in the office next to the traffic officers. They had a nice map with the locations of all the mobile traps/patrols on the wall. Needless to say I used to consult this on a daily basis before maxing my company Vectra (yuck!) down the empty dual carriageways in the morning (an indicated 142MPH would you believe!).

It seems scarcely credible but one of their sneakiest tricks was to use one of their stealth cars (knackered looking unmarked Astra estate) they would do this 2 up looking as much like joe public as they could get away with. I asked them about this and they said that they caught most people by driving slightly above the speed limit and driving in a manner that while legal tended to provoke less patient road users to do illegal things. So watch out for that tosser who stays to long in the outside lane, or seems to hesitate at junctions etc....it may be the police trying to provoke you!
Old 07 January 2003, 10:09 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Blackburn Lancashire.
They hide under dark bridges so you can't see them until your under the bridge yourself.(Mobile camera set 1/4 mile b4 bridge)
WARNING - One particular bridge between Darwen and Blackburn they even have a desinated parking spot.
Their other trick is to park under a fixed camera with a mobile camera and zap you before you hit the brakes for the fixed camera.
Evan been zapped (but not done) as I went over the top of a hump back bridge (they were on the other side in a bus stop).
Sneakey B***ards.
Old 07 January 2003, 11:13 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

But it's all about reducing speeding crime, isn't it...
Old 07 January 2003, 11:22 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Last ticket i had (few years ago) was rushing back up the m20 (i think) sae a red vectra hatch parked on a quiet bridge, didnt think anything of it, not going that fast.

Was till i got closer i could see something above the bonnet.....started to slow.

Closer still, noticed it was a little box above the bonnet, and it was standing on something and the car was parked at an angle as he was right up to the bridge guard rail......strange.

get past, look behind, its a camera on a tripod being hidden by the vectras front end, car was right up to edge of guard rail so that camera could stand in road and be obscured......

got ticket in post 7 days later for 81mph

Funny someone mentioned blackburn, I was born there
don't remember to many bridges between darwen and blackburn, ones i can remember where only canal ones....but then its been donkies years since i went back there.
Old 07 January 2003, 12:01 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

They also hang around in the areas off the motorway that provide 'emergency access' to the motorway from other roads, or provide emergency access to areas that aren't easy to get to otherwise.

For example, on the M3, heading away from London, between J2 and J3, there's a gate that provides emergency access to, IIRC, Chobham Common. They often park their cars up by that gate, away from the motorway. You can't see them there, until it's too late (unless you are on the opposite carriageway)

Den
Old 07 January 2003, 12:26 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

I remember tanking through the Blackfriars underpass (nice exhaust reverb n'all that) then went under blackfriars bridge. When I was directly under it I saw someone in a dayglo coat standing behind a roadsign on the strip of pavement where the road from blackfriars bridge joins the embankment. heh, I remember thinking "What the fu... OH ****!!!!"
Hammered the brakes, got down to about 20, then I saw him raise the gun and take the reading. Trickled past him at 20 with a huge grin on my face. He knew what I'd been up to but could he prove it?

astraboy.
Old 07 January 2003, 12:40 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

PTHOLT,
M65 was extended a few years back to link it to the M6. It runs between Blackburn and Darwen.
If you havn't been for a few years and come for a visit be carefull.Plod and the council seem to be sharing the coffers on speeding convictions.
Speed limits are being reduced from 60 to 50, 40 to 30 etc all over and no warning.
Glad I moved just out of the area - driving a scoob became a license threatening experience.
Old 08 January 2003, 01:10 AM
Ralf
Scooby Regular

And make sure you're in the middle because the ones at the front and the back will get nicked for speeding....
A friend told he he was once following a Porsche (...) as did the bike behind him. after some convy driving police flagged the porsche down and the biker but didn't want him (from the middle). But that is ten years ago.
Old 08 January 2003, 06:18 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know it's not the british police, but whilst working in France, we saw plod covering their vehicle in camouflage netting in some bushes by the side of the road. Obviously a spotter car as a couple of miles down the road were about 2 cars and 3 vans full of plod for the mass pull over
On the spot fines as well, and can go home once they've filled their quota!!

CRAFT
Old 08 January 2003, 06:48 AM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Aussie coppers are the worst! They nick you when driving towards you, usually right up the *** of a lorry with just their roof mounted bazooka visable till it's too late, and they hide everywhere, sometimes even up trees
Old 08 January 2003, 07:32 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hiding 'round corners...