Ps2 session

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2001, 04:15 PM
NeilR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Had a decent PS2 evening yesterday....

First off the blocks SSX..... moved on to Smugglers run and finally deathmatch Timesplitters.

Timesplitters was the most fun except my opponnent was totally durr.

Tested GT2 using the smoothing switched on. Used the Namco NeGCon controller which is fantastic compared to a normal control pad, ace! The smoothing certainly improves the picture quality except for transparencies for some reason.

Just read Playstaion 2 Jan2001 official magazine...... some amazing titles coming out guys.

NeilR

btw, my replacement PS2 still has the lipSync problem

Old 04 January 2001, 04:42 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

have you checked the discs for thumbprints/hairs etc. I've noticed the lipsynch problem occurs on certain DVD's and not on others. As DVD is more densely recorded than a CD, even a tiny spec of dirt can have quite a consequence. DVD uses read ahead caching so that it can keep up to speed with decompression. My theory is that re-reads caused by dirt can hold up either picture or sound processing by a fraction. As this keeps re-occuring on that sector at the next read, the synch problems will get more obvious. Hitting pause/unpause will resynch the sound and picture as the reading and decompression will start from a particular address as opposed to an index based on the last address. (This problem isn't unique to PS2 DVD players. I've seen it on other manufacturers systems as well, so I don't think it is a Sony bug). Should be interesting to see how DVD games perform, as all the current games still use CD format recording
Old 05 January 2001, 10:07 AM
NeilR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Fast Bloke,

Lip Sync problem always starts to happen after about 40 mins on just about every disc so far.

Oh well, wheres that Sony Helpdesk number?

NeilR