Notices

Every "expert" recommends different geometry settings ??

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2001, 07:02 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Follows on from recent thread in which a link to
www.geocities.com/subman2001nz/alignment_specs_subaru.html
was mentioned.
Each "expert" on that site recommends different settings for tarmac - especially toe in/OUT (?!) front and rear. Surely there must be an optimum setting for a particular car ????
Assuming that camber bolts have been fitted to the rear of a UK 98 car, can any roadholding guru (SDB ?) please advise optimum fast road/track camber/toe settings (without catastrophic wear on tyres) ?
Stan
Old 08 December 2001, 09:08 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

nobody will agree on "optimum settings" because different people like different characteristics of their car... some like neutral handling, some like bags of oversteer on demand etc.

personally i tried a few different settings before deciding on what i liked best (which incidently is not the same as any of the settings listed on that site )
Old 09 December 2001, 08:51 AM
dmel
Scooby Regular

And to add to Milo above,
it also depends on any mods you may have done to your suspension: (thicker ARB, sway bars, shocks etc.).
See what you would like from your car and follow any from the following:

1. More oversteer -> less rear toe-in (Whiteline even recommends toe-out; some find it a bit extreme)

2. More front-end grip -> more -ve camber front (eg up to say -1.25 degrees on standard suspension) (at the expense of inside tyre wear)

3. Most agree (and myself) to have less camber at the rear. You can also check this by inspecting tyre wear at the edges. Equal tyre wear is accomplished (to my car and driving style) by having -1.25 front camber and -0.75 rear camber.

Adjustable rear camber bolts is a must have. Tyre pressures are also very important.