Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

fcking idiot drivers on dual carriage ways

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2002, 11:28 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

So Im driving along this morning on the A34, its fairly quiet, 2 lanes DC. Im cruising nicely 90+ so spending most of my time in the outside lane, my sidelights are on so Im pretty obvious.

Anyway, i approach a truck in the inside lane with a Passat who is pretty much tailgating him but has all of a sudden decided its time to pull out, but thats right he wants to do it just as I get nearly along side, so he signals. My options at this point are: 1) brake hard and let him out, or 2)carry on and make him pull out once Ive past, maybe slowing him down a fraction. So I do number 2 and what does he do? flashes his lights as if to say "w4nker"!!! I cant believe it! Does he really reckon i should slam my brakes on just because he's woken up- try looking in your mirrors idiot.

This happens so much these days cant imagine Im alone!

Old 18 December 2002, 11:50 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Happened to me on the M4 the other day.
I was in the middle lane. stuff in the outside lane overtaking me. ***** obviously thought I should slam my brakes on or pull into outside lane!!
Old 18 December 2002, 12:19 PM
CTR
Scooby Regular

Dont you know, indicators(when people bother to use them) automatically give them the right of way!
Old 18 December 2002, 12:26 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Red face

It's annoying isn't it. The other one is when you're gracious enough to move over to let someone past then they overtake at a differential speed of 1mph forcing you to brake so as not to go into the lorry 1 mile ahead.
Old 18 December 2002, 12:29 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Whenever I come up to a car which is right behind a lorry I slow down. You can sense they are going to pull out and 9 times out of ten they do. You just have to try and predict that the driver is going to be stupid. Works most of the time and give you a little more time to react.
Old 18 December 2002, 12:36 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I just lookout for the tell-tale right hand drift, most drivers subconciously start moving right even before they have actually decided to do so.
Old 18 December 2002, 12:50 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

If you're travelling significantly faster than most other traffic (e.g. 90+ on a DC) then you've got to expect - and predict - that other drivers are going to make misjudgements that sometimes impede your own progress.

I'm always getting this - not just at high speed but simply when accelerating away from roundabouts etc. It's just so easy to forget that you're basically in a different league from everyone around you (performance-wise, though not necessarily in driving standards ).

Old 18 December 2002, 01:38 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

apparantly it's been medically proven that women can't judge distances, so they are more likely to do so unaware of how fast you are appraoching!!
If it's a fella, he either....a fookwit, virtually blind, jealous (yup, he spotted the spoiler & bonnet vent) or just a ****

I agree, this happens much more than it used to, more cars on the same size roads will hold us faster (but safer:rolleyes) drivers back unfortunatly.....

shunty
Old 18 December 2002, 01:39 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

ps - just read the post above & that's a valid point actually...if you driving a modded scoob escpecially, they don't realise just how quick you can overtake them

shunty
Old 18 December 2002, 02:01 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Find this problem on the Bike all the time, regardless of whats in front. Just have to resist the urge to tailgate cos everyone knows how dangerous that it.600bhp per ton = fookin quick off the line
Old 18 December 2002, 02:26 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Angry

ADP,

I've had this loads of times... Yep, really pi55es me off !!

Is it Mirror-Signal-Manoeuvre - or (**** the mirror)-Manoeuvre-Signal if I can arsed ??

Remember once coming off a roundabout on a dual-carriageway and some slow numpty decided to pull out from behind a slower-moving vehicle into my path(outside lane)...when I had to slam on and nearly ended up in his rear seat, he then proceed to jam his own brakes on and flick v-signs at me as if I was tailgating him !!

Quality !!

Ranks up there with the people that drive at 20mph below the speed limit, in perfectly good conditions, with a huge queue of traffic building behind them, that flash lights and blast their horn when you get pi55ed off and overtake them.

People always used to take the mickey out of me 'cos I passed my test on the 3rd attempt - it seems that many people that had hardly any lessons and passed 1st time have completely forgotten the basics !!

Ahh... makes it fun though !
Old 18 December 2002, 02:35 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

If indicators give you an automatic right of way then why are they optional add items on BMWs
Nick
Old 18 December 2002, 03:49 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

I had something similar today, off from the lights, in the rh lane and securicor man on bike coming though the center of the cars, i indicate to go back into the lhs lane and he comes down the inside of me WTF!! And these people wonder why they get killed

Tony
Old 18 December 2002, 04:02 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

I thought this only happens to me!!!

Going along the A127 last week towards southend...
same scenario, lorry in the slow lane, red vauxhall cavalier behind him, pi55ing with rain, so i drop down to a ton, thinking he would pull out.
low and behold he does, i jam the brakes on...(any lesser car would have aquaplaned and toasted my nuts) luckily i stop in time and give him 6 lights to burn his fooking retinas out and let hime know i'm there.
he then boots it and hits the slow lane...
i drive up alongside, and he give me the victory sign, in reverse.
he then pulls out behing me and holds down his full beam (C*nt)

He looked fooking livid (and pretty big), so i welly it to 125mph)
and leave him floundering, then i had to do a bit of inside overtaking to get some space between us.

Luckily for me, the beemer got me clear enough away, but i frightened the hell out of me.

he could he killed me with his prattish manouvre!!

But, alas i leave to speed another day!!!

phew!!

BB
Old 18 December 2002, 04:09 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

I had something similar today, off from the lights, in the rh lane and securicor man on bike coming though the center of the cars, i indicate to go back into the lhs lane and he comes down the inside of me WTF!! And these people wonder why they get killed
Just because you're indicating left, doesn't mean what he did was wrong. The fact you are indicating doesn't give you an immediate right to change lane, rather it shows your intention to do so when the traffic allows.

Having said that, if I was an vulnerable as a motorcyclist, I've have given any vehicle indicating to change lane a wide berth...

Den

[Edited by Dirty_Den - 12/18/2002 4:23:19 PM]
Old 18 December 2002, 04:12 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I guess the key is anticipation, and then not letting the inevitable get to you. Easier said than done, of course.
Old 18 December 2002, 05:21 PM
turboteeth10
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

the people that drive at 20mph below the speed limit, in perfectly good conditions, with a huge queue of traffic building behind them, that flash lights and blast their horn when you get pi55ed off and overtake them.
lots of those in Surrey...

oh yea, and at this time of year they like to put their headlights on full-beam too (loosers)

[Edited by turboteeth10 - 12/18/2002 5:24:02 PM]
Old 18 December 2002, 05:33 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Question

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't someone in front of you have right of way?

Happens to me loads too. Just anticipate it, and flash 'em out with a cheery wave. Makes driving a lot less stressful...
Old 18 December 2002, 06:38 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

People in front of you do NOT have the right of way! Where did you hear that one? A blonde female BMW driver?
Old 18 December 2002, 07:09 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Talking

Is it Mirror-Signal-Manoeuvre - or (**** the mirror)-Manoeuvre-Signal if I can arsed ??
Every driver knows "Mirror-Signal-Manoeuvre" - look in the mirror, signal, then manoeuvre. Trouble is, only a few of us grasped the concept that we might have to adapt steps two and three depending on what we saw in the mirror!
Old 18 December 2002, 08:48 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Ah, I knew I was probably wrong on that one - it just seems to be how people drive, ie with little consideration for anything coming up behind, because of the "I'm in front" mentality.

Still, assume that everyone is a fcking idiot driver who will pull a crazy, unbelievable stunt and you can't go far wrong
Old 19 December 2002, 10:28 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

good advice Chiark!!!

BB
Old 19 December 2002, 10:41 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

yeah bravo, heed your words...."BEHIND"
hahahah
lmfaol or whatever you guys call it!!

i'm off the pi55 off some teeny boppers on GA. see you there!!

BB
Old 19 December 2002, 01:53 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

SWRTWannabe,

Aren't the mirrors for doing your hair or make-up in ?

'Cos there's lots of peeps round here who think they are !!