Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Career in IT ??

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2000, 12:25 AM
subverbal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Due to the seemingly high number of IT peeps on here I thought I'd test the water a bit...
Basically I'm thinking of moving into IT from my current sales job (supposedly a temporary move 3 years ago!).
Having always been involved with PCs and Macs (hardware/software installation) it seems like a sensible move.

Any suggestions on breaking into IT ?? I'm 28 so maybe a bit of a late starter and also only have a couple of A-levels to my name. Worked for 6 years as a site supervisor for an industrial flooring contractor looking after contracts up to £250k.
New responsibilities are making me think about getting a 'proper job' again.

All suggestions appreciated !

Neil.
Old 22 September 2000, 12:43 AM
Colin Berry
Scooby Regular

There is a Level(3) open day at:---

Once again, we are returning to the Whitbread Brewery at Chiswell Street, Moorgate on the 26th September from 12pm for the final London recruitment event of 2000. After the last 3 events we have hired 42 people, and we are looking forward to another successful event. The advertisement has appeared in the Sunday Times and it will also be placed in the Evening Standard on Thursday and Monday.

It will enable us to meet and talk informally to prospective candidates for future hires in 2001 and to continue to build our profile in the recruitment market.

Means working in London but hey are a top company to work for.
Old 22 September 2000, 12:47 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

What time until? You working out of Prescot St?

My present job is beginning to get wearisome

(I also suppose you'll know who spends loads of time on the BBS )
Old 22 September 2000, 02:55 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Subverbal,

Largely depends on what sort of IT skills you already possess and where you are prepared to work. If you have any Internet development experience then many companies (in London) will gladly take you on.

Even without Internet experience, you may find it worthwhile getting a copy of Computer Weekly/Computing from WH Smiths and send a copy of your CV to a couple of recruitment agencies and see what response you get.

Whatever your skill set, the more experience you have, generally the higher the salary you can command. However, be honest about your experience. I for one am sick and tired of interviewing people who have grossly exagerated their skills. It's unbelievably easy to suss someone out in a technical interview. Learning the buzz words isn't enough these days - certainly not with me.

Hope this helps,
Jerome.

PS: feel free to email me and I can recommend a few agencies and contacts.

[This message has been edited by Jerome (edited 22 September 2000).]
Old 22 September 2000, 03:12 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Plug yourself into some of the job websites and sign up for the emails of new positions. (Use a hotmail account you can walk away from, sometimes these things won't stop coming !)

You'll at least get to see some of the skillsets people are looking for and what money you might get.

Old 22 September 2000, 03:55 PM
Alec
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

You could have a look at
Old 22 September 2000, 06:39 PM
Carolyn T-S
Scooby Regular

If you don't fancy London, the company I am working for is recruiting IT staff at various levels.

We are based in Basildon, Essex, but you would have to send your CV to me (e-mail in profile) to put forward as I get a nice large introductory bonus for any IT staff I can recruit !
Old 22 September 2000, 07:36 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

Subverval

I'm having the same dilema as yourself as I want to venture into a new career in IT.

However I don't have any computer Qualifications what so ever.
I do have an electronics background so this may help.
And like yourself at 27, thought I may be to old for this sort of thing.

I was thinking of doing an MCP course.

Advice from anybody would be appreciated also.

Muddy.

[This message has been edited by muddy (edited 22 September 2000).]
Old 22 September 2000, 07:57 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Crikey - I'm 35! Am I past it?
Old 22 September 2000, 09:55 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Cool

Puff - way past it. I'm approaching 30 and feeling very old (too many young'ens in my company )

Chris
Old 22 September 2000, 11:20 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

When a CV comes our way I get the job of weedling out the genuine's from the wannabees.

I am not interested in certificates esp MSCP's !!!
Too easy to obtain judging from the quality of some of the work we have seen.

I'll only say this once. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR REAL EXPERIENCE !!

My advice to anyone, by all means do the exam if a job requires it but get yer hands DIRTY !

I would be far more interested in the guy who sets up a linux box at home and "tinkers" frankly. Thats my recommendation - just start mucking.
Old 23 September 2000, 12:36 AM
subverbal
Scooby Regular

Thanx very much for all the advice and offers so far !
London and Essex would be a bit too far to commute, even in the scooby. Family ties rule out a complete relocation.

Experience seems to be the key so far.
Tinkering with Linux has been mentioned - anything else worth dabbling with ??

Thanx again,
Neil.
Old 23 September 2000, 08:33 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

I'm the old man of my team at 34 !!

I can still out party them though !!

Barge AKA as beer monster !!

Old 23 September 2000, 12:08 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

If you were in the N London area , I have a vacancy in my sales team at MicroWarehouse. Might be a little far for you to commute each day !!

AllanB
Old 23 September 2000, 04:33 PM
MatthewR
Scooby Regular

Hi...

It depends on what areas you want to get into in IT... If you're after a development or software engineering role, then skills like c++, vb, asp, java, html etc. are worth trying to gain as are in high demand right now. If you're after more of an Systems Admin style role, then linux is definitely worth playing with (although plenty *still* look down on linux skills ).

Also, from the experience you have of software/hardware installation, you might also want to consider starting a site-based computer servicing style company... i.e. you'd go out to people's houses fixing/upgrading their computers. Definitely possible to make a good living out of - I know someone who quit their job as a Management Consultant to pursue this (very successfully). Going down this route would allow you to start up your business while still working at your current job just incase.

And then of course there is IT Management where you will have to unlearn all your technical skills as quickly as possible and spend all day in meetings and doing paperwork... (kidding... really I am... )

It all depends... "Where do you want to go today?"...

Good luck!

Matthew

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by subverbal:
<B>Thanx very much for all the advice and offers so far !
London and Essex would be a bit too far to commute, even in the scooby. Family ties rule out a complete relocation.

Experience seems to be the key so far.
Tinkering with Linux has been mentioned - anything else worth dabbling with ??

Thanx again,
Neil. [/quote]

Old 25 September 2000, 09:27 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Cool

So Lee, do you need to recruit any IT peeps then?
I want a new job doing web stuff as I'm fed up with maintaining big clunky apps.
Howabout a south coast division of firstsoftware?

[This message has been edited by RichB (edited 25 September 2000).]
Old 25 September 2000, 11:47 AM
Colin Berry
Scooby Regular

I did a Cisco course with Azlan. Very good and now I am a CCNA and whats more, I have no direct interaction with Cisco Routers! So, good course but has proved useless to me. I seem to be moving towards IT Management which, as Mathew correctly states is all about procedures, project plans and meetings
Old 25 September 2000, 11:49 AM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Idris,

If networking is what you are interested in then the cisco course is a good one to take. Assuming its the one leading to their CCNA qualification it'll give you a good grounding in IP and routing and I've found that those are skills that are usually in demand.

Old 25 September 2000, 12:13 PM
IDRIS
Scooby Regular

Hey all,

since every one is on the topic of IT, I've just put in for a CISCO course... I don't start it yet. However any thoughts on this course or even the company for a career in Networking... my computing background is as a Software engineer. I want to keep my options open and not limited to programming and soforth.
Positive and negative thoughts welcome...

*IDRIS*
Old 27 September 2000, 04:05 PM
wacko
Scooby Regular

I would look into Windows 2000 as all major banks are currently planning their deployment, and Linux which is going to be big.
To be honest MCP wont necessarily help you get into an IT job, and they cost a lot. If you show willing in an interview and that you have played with software on your own back, this goes down well. We have employed people with no IT experience, but who showed the right attitude and were keen to learn. Unfortunately we are not hiring at the moment. Good luck.
Old 27 September 2000, 09:28 PM
Rhys
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Hi I have been thinking abought changing my job for ages now. I dont have any Qualifications in Computers only a GCSE in IT but i would like to think of myself as a Very Computer literate person, as i just seem to click with them. Though i am young compared to most of you on here im 19! yes 19 .

I have been studying Accounts for the last 3 years. But after passing the Exams which i was really forced into doing by the Family. I really dont want to work in Accounts as i find it Very boring. But I can normally sit at home being quite happy playing abought with the PC for hours. I really want a job that starts of on a low Grade of pay put has training. So i could go to College and work my way up the ladder, so to speak. What is the best thing i can do or go to? as im tarring my hair out at my current job

I also wouldn't mind to much where the job is, As if it was a good opportunity i would be willing to move.

Please e mail me or leave a message

Many Thanks
Rhys

[This message has been edited by Rhys (edited 27 September 2000).]