Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

No live US F1 on ITV , typical !

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2000, 06:04 PM
whizzer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I've just found out that ITV is not going to show the US GP live next weekend ! This is due to it clashing with so called 'more popular TV shows' !!!

Not only have we had to put up with TV ads cutting up Live GP action , now we have to put up with no coverage at all , well 4 hours late anyway .

Only lucky people who get ITV's pay channel will get live coverage , Barstewards !!!!

As a dedicated GP fan I am truly Peed off !
Good mind to send em a email !
Old 17 September 2000, 08:32 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

That really sucks. When is it going to be shown ?? I don't know crappy coverage and we still have to put up with the inaccurate dribblings of Murray Walker.
I suppose we should be gratful we don't see 50ish laps of only the leads car like a few years back.

AllanB
Old 18 September 2000, 12:27 AM
subverbal
Scooby Regular

My girlfriend has On Digital so luckily I get ITV2 (I must remember to stop whinging about how c**p On Digital is this week !)

I prefer the good old days of BBC coverage, especially when it was also transmitted on Sky - every second of track whenever you wanted. I can't remember missing a race when it was on BBC ??

Neil

Old 18 September 2000, 12:48 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I thought EuroSport covered the GP's, or did that change when it became British EuroSport and under the influence of Murdoch's empire?

Yex
Old 18 September 2000, 09:27 AM
whizzer
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Race: Sunday 24 September, 22.45 – 01.40 (as live)

Lucky ITV2 people get it live . I would really like to know who actualy has ITV2 because I don't know anybody who does !

ITV2
Race: Sunday 24 September, 18.00 - 21.00(live)

Old 18 September 2000, 11:30 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Angry

Will it be replayed on ITV at some other time?
Old 18 September 2000, 11:38 AM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

O Ye of short memory!!!

As I have said before there is FAR MORE F1 on ITV than the BBC EVRER Showed. ITV has shown nearly every single race in full, qualifying and pre race build-up. You were lucky to find F1 on BBC especially if there was another event on like the olympics, wimbledon, bowls, darts, dogshow, etc etc.

I hope the ITV gets rallying as well.
Old 18 September 2000, 01:12 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Smile

I've got ITV2 - came with the basic cable package.
Old 18 September 2000, 01:40 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

You can only get ITV through ON Digital or cable, as they are purposely not allowing SKY to broadcast ITV2 (or ITV for that matter) to try to get people to go with On Digital.

A bit annoying if like most of the subscribers you are with SKY.

I don't think that Eurosport have covered the GPs for a while - well at least the last year (which was when I first got SKY)
Old 18 September 2000, 01:52 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

I thought they were contracted to show them live

K
Old 18 September 2000, 02:01 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Angry

I'm in two minds here. Seriously p***ed off when I read the first post about it not being on ITV live. Then I see it is on ITV2, which is OK because I have ONDigital.

Does seem to be a little unfair, given the 'quality' of programs put out by ITV early on a Sunday evening. Bit rich to suggest that it would interfere with more 'popular' programs (why did they bother buying the rights to show F1 if isn't popular???).

Chris (getting off my soap box now)

PS Eurosport haven't bought the rights to F1 for a couple of years now.
Old 18 September 2000, 02:13 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Angry

What are these "more popular TV shows" that clash with the GP on a Sunday evening?
Old 18 September 2000, 02:29 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Now think about how well this would be handled if Sky got the license. Changing views at the press of a button and the like, with decent commentary as they are doing with Footie on the Sky Sports Extra channel. First time in ages there's a decent race scheduled to run in USA and ITV can't even be bothered to run as it clashes with Antiques Roadshow or some other Godawful crud. Oh well at least both the OnDigital subscribers get to see it live as opposed to the rest of us

Grrr.
Joolz
PS. Is it just the two subscribers to OnDigital or does anyone know of any healthier figures as to their market split compared to Sky?
Old 18 September 2000, 02:41 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Angry

I heard that SKY has a customer base of almost 6 million which is way more than all the rest (cable, On Digital, etc.) put together.

I'm looking forward to when you get the SKY interactive effects with grand prix, when you can choose camera angle, which driver to follow, action replays, etc.

Just rang SKY - they still have no date on when ITV will be boradcast on SKY digital. That of course is due to ITV holding out (as they are shareholders in On Digital) to try to convince people to go with On Digital as opposed to SKY.

Tough luck for us poor saps who already have SKY.
Old 18 September 2000, 03:20 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

According to their last press release, On Digitial expect to have 1 million subscribers by the end of this year. A little way to go to match Sky, but not bad from a standing start less than two years ago.

Chris
Old 18 September 2000, 03:41 PM
ChrisB

Question

If ITV wouldn't let Sky show ITV / ITV 2, then why do Sky let On Digital have Sky Sports?

Do you get all the Sky Sports on On Digital - Sky Sports 1 to 3, Sky Sports News, and Sky Sports Extra?

Radio 5 Live cover the GP and the commentators are quite good.

Chris.
Old 18 September 2000, 04:03 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

SKY will get money for On Digital selling on its channels. However, ITV cannot charge SKY or its customers as both ITV and ITV2 are meant to be 'free to air' channels.

So I guess ITV have an interest in keeping ITV/ITV2 just for themselves and their cable partners.

Old 18 September 2000, 04:07 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Chris

You get Sky Sports 1,2 and 3. You don't get Sky Sports News or Sky Sports Extra - but it covers most things. The reason that Sky lets On Digitial show Sky Sports is because they make money out of it. ITV2 is a free channel that does bugger all apart from show re-runs of the Jerry Springer Show.

Chris
Old 18 September 2000, 04:13 PM
whizzer
Scooby Regular

Daily F1 was the first site I saw with this news .
Old 18 September 2000, 08:04 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

On Digital Is C**p, and will be switching to Sky in November, IMO.

The service is terrible, even if the F1 is on ITV2 it still does not sway me.

One unhappy chappy.

Muddy.
Old 19 September 2000, 12:56 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Lightbulb

Just a thought, but the sport cafe in London shows F1, last time I went there was a room dedicated to it so you could hear the commentary. They even had a few screens tuned into the french coverage, so when ITV went to a break we could still see the action.
This was a while back, I'm not sure if the room is used anymore or if they have ON Digital.
Could be an option in the capital.

Justin
Old 19 September 2000, 08:35 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

I blame tony blair

whos for a protest on this one?

F1 should be shown at national gatherings on massive screens, sod football, boring lower class game that it is, I mean eating pies and drinking soup

F1 political party gets my vote, Bernie for PM thats my call, plus president of the US,......

robski
Old 19 September 2000, 11:24 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Muddy

What's wrong with OnDigital? I've got a mate who was considering either OnDigital, cable or SKY Digital. If you have any views on OnDigitial that would be useful. I've got SKY Digital but don't know anything about the others.
Old 19 September 2000, 01:22 PM
harryh
Scooby Regular

Sure F1 is boring anyway, just buy yourself a Scalextric set, you'll not notice the difference. Except the Jag might finish a race.
Old 19 September 2000, 08:52 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

AWD,

My views on ON Digital are obviously biased because I hate it.

Anyway the reasons:
I pay £30 a month, the equivelant of one of the top Sky Packages.

I get Sky Sports 1,2&3, Sky Premier plus the other channels like uk gold, uk play,carlton food, shopping channel, carlton cinema, mtv, Sky one, plus a dozen or so more ( all are crap).

I don't get Sky Sports Extra or Sky sports News.

With Sky Premier, On digital often decide to air their own films in place of those broadcasted by Sky, this is normally during the week and replace decent films ( I will look in the "sun" and see a film I would like to watch but it's been replaced by some victorian oldie film!!!!).

They are regularly publicising new channels, which take about 6 months or more to actually get to the Tv screen, publicity I think to get more subscribers.

I don't have e-mail or the internet on it, ( I would not dare give them more money) but quite frankly I find it hard to believe that it is available!! ( somebody could enlighten me on this!!).

I'm through my 3rd decoder, they are not very good!!!. My latest one will not switch off at the box, has to be done by the remote.

The teletex system has just come into play, a year after they said it was available ( and it's still crap).

Customer service is very poor because it's a relatively new service most of the staff have not got a clue.
There is loads more but I'm getting depressed now.

I feel guilty as well because when I got it, I recommended it to a friend who had Sky, he decided to change, thought it was crap and is now waiting for contract to finish to go back to Sky.

The only good points are; It shows Men & motors (and thats not for the cars ), and it comes through your aerial.

I'm still Sky bound.

Muddy.

[This message has been edited by muddy (edited 19 September 2000).]
Old 19 September 2000, 10:32 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

I have ITV2 as it was the only way I could get any NBA basketball last season. Unfortunately I'll be on a beach in the sun when its on.

The reception in swindon is crap, blocks out regularly and often no picture but there's no other option as I wanted ITV2.

As for OnDig showing different films, this is due to the license sky has paid for: only for satellite transmission and NOT for terrestrial.

I happened to be in my local Satellite shop during qualifying for a recent GP and found that on their (non-sky) digital system there were multiple camera angle choices for the qualifying showing different cars.

Only problem was it was a reprogrammed 'show everything' system and they wanted over 500quid for it. Maybe after Christmas.....
Old 20 September 2000, 09:58 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

I can't believe that ITV will not show the US F1!

I do not remember any problems with BBC coverage (- Sorry whoever was the lone voice that likes ITV coverage!) perhaps it is like governments when 1 is in they never do what you want and you long for the days when the other party is in power

This is ridiculous, does anyone have an e-mail address to swamp with complaints?

Mick
Old 24 September 2000, 07:34 PM
p_mc
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

I'm so bloody desperate I'm watching live F1 text updates on the net with 7 sec picture grabs from RTL ! ITV damn you !!!!!!

Old 24 September 2000, 08:59 PM
nickwrx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Trust itv they up to it again, but this time they put it on itv 2 , i mean who's got cr*ppy on digitial , now i've got stay up to 2.00 in the morning, and i've got to get up for work at 5.00 am .
guess i will have to get on digitial then NOT !
nick.
Old 25 September 2000, 12:16 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Muddy

Thanks for the thoughts on OnDigital. I will make sure that I do not recommend them to anyone.

Cheers

Quick Reply: No live US F1 on ITV , typical !