Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

can an off-duty officer..........

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2002, 01:29 PM
asifR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do me for dangerous driving???

i overtook a car last night at a bad speed, on the wrong side of the rd and when this other car pulled up behind me, she was reading my number plate into what looked a mouth piece of a radio....

can i be done for that???
do coppers, off duty, have their radios with them???
Old 12 December 2002, 01:31 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

In my experience, no. But i'd look over your shoulder in future, especially if you were pulled local to your residence.
Old 12 December 2002, 01:35 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

On off-duty officer can report you for dangerous driving.

If they had a radio though, aren't they more likely to be CID, but regardless of that fact, you can be prosecuted for any offence at any time if it witnessed by a police officer, off duty or not.
Old 12 December 2002, 02:06 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Or of course they were dictating your number into a phone, IPAQ,dictating machine etc in order to report you to the police as they felt your driving was irresponsible.

My suspicion is that a police officer off-duty or not would have to make some effort to notify you at the time of the charge.

If the police do come round to see you about the incident don't say anything about it! Just say you were on that road at that time, but have no knowledge of the incident to which they refer.

If hey come round they will be delighted if you say "My overtaking move was pperfectly safe" as you are at least admitting to overtaking.

Chris
Old 12 December 2002, 02:17 PM
CTR
Scooby Regular

I think some people just pretend to make you worry. I overtook a black Mondeo on a dual carriageway(I may have been slightly exceeding the speed limit), anyway he caught me up in the 30 limit, when I looked in my mirror he had a flourescent jacket on, and appeared to be speaking to his collar. Havent heard anything, been more than two weeks, and I have passed him since(at the same speed).

Anyway, if he is a copper, he doesnt set a very good example, considering I have seem he do over 40(I guess) in a 30, and over 50(I guess in a 40 limit). Can only guess because there was a car in front of me doing the speed limit, and he was pulling away from us quickly!
Old 12 December 2002, 02:50 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Maybe the 'off-duty' copper was just checking to make sure it wasn't stolen?

Andy
Old 12 December 2002, 03:11 PM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

The act needs to be "witnessed" either by another copper or by photographic evidence.

Otherwise, it's your word against theirs and that would never stand up in court.

Old 12 December 2002, 04:11 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I think some people need to know the facts and the correct procedures before offering advice on here...... some of it is dangerous to say the least.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. You would have most probably been stopped at the time of the incident (either by them flashing blue lights or by them getting a marked car to pull you).

Personally, if I didn't recognise the car as a police car, then I'd take it as a member of the public either trying to wind you up or to report it at a later date.

You've not been approached before now, so I'd forget about it.

And yes, it comes with the job........ technically on-duty 24/7.
Old 12 December 2002, 04:44 PM
Tommy 2000
Scooby Regular

"I think some people need to know the facts and the correct procedures before offering advice on here......"

Yeah right, you should only post on Scoobynet if you are 100% sure of what you are saying. This is a bbs not a professional advice service!

If he is stupid enough to drive dangerously, he hardly deserves the advice anyway!
Old 12 December 2002, 04:46 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah right, you should only post on Scoobynet if you are 100% sure of what you are saying.
If only that were true.
Old 12 December 2002, 05:02 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It might just have been a CB radio.
Old 12 December 2002, 05:23 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

There is little positive to be said about driving a white Mondeo.

But one evening, conicidentally wearing a navy tie light blue shirt and black weatherproof jacket, a idiot pulled a stunt.

Flashed my lights and got vees in return. As we approached the lights I clipped a dictaphone to my collar and when he glanced in the mirror spoke into it!

His journey took him almost to my front door, 28mph all the and very "aware" especially when we turned into the housing estate

Oh for a DIY breathaliser Kit