Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Justice as a Spam mailer reaps his whirlwind

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2002, 01:52 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just have a read of this article and the related articles, very funny to see that a Spam mailer can't see the irony and justice in what is now happening.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/28525.html
Old 11 December 2002, 02:04 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Lovely!

Does anyone else batch up their junk mail and send it out to someone who is foolish enough to enclose a reply paid envelope? Or is it just me?

Old 11 December 2002, 02:11 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

It was just you. Until now, that is
Old 11 December 2002, 02:16 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

no i just put 'return to sender - gone away' o and now ive registered with MPS now.

Gary
Old 11 December 2002, 02:18 PM
Ratman
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've been collecting pre-paid envelopes for the last 6 years, waiting for the Royal Mail to be privatised (as was mooted some time ago). I was then going to buy some shares, send off all the envelopes and wait for the dividends to roll in.

Doesn't look like it's ever gonna happen now.

Ratman

Old 11 December 2002, 02:24 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tav - as I don't need the junk mail I try to forward it to someone who does. Also - when you get - 'You have won' extremely small print (if you by a lifetime subscription) send them back but fill in the direct debit details for the company who has actually sent you the stuff. I've been playing with which for about 2 years now. They think I am entirely stoopid
Old 11 December 2002, 03:35 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Red face

This fellow doesnt give up easily..

Ralsky, meanwhile, is looking at new technology. Recently he's been talking to two computer programmers in Romania who have developed what could be called stealth spam.

It is intricate computer software, said Ralsky, that can detect computers that are online and then be programmed to flash them a pop-up ad, much like the kind that display whenever a particular Web site is opened.

"This is even better," he said. "You don't have to be on a Web site at all. You can just have your computer on, connected to the Internet, reading e-mail or just idling and, bam, this program detects your presence and up pops the message on your screen, past firewalls, past anti-spam programs, past anything.

"Isn't technology great?"

Full story...

http://www.freep.com/money/tech/mwend22_20021122.htm

Trending Topics

Old 11 December 2002, 04:04 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Yeah, great, I actually had one of those. Got through the firewall too, as its part of Windows messaging subsystem which needs access to the net. As soon as I find what port it's on, it's toast.

Old 11 December 2002, 04:31 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Chiark if you ever find what port it's on can I be the first on your mailing list so I can switch the feckin thing off aswell, feckin pop up banners they should be made illegal.
Old 11 December 2002, 04:42 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"Does anyone else batch up their junk mail and send it out to someone who is foolish enough to enclose a reply paid envelope? "

just stating the obvious but i assume you all understand that a) direct mailing makes money for the ppl sending it (otherwise they wouldnt do it) and b) the person that opens your funny replys is not the marketing director that thought it up but some lass on 10k pa who is quite use to seeing all sorts of crap and so pays it no notice.

its like the rib spiltters people have for dealing with cold calls, it may give you hours of fun with your mates at the pub while you tell the story about you got one over on X company but the ppl making the calls hear it all the time and pay it no attention.

T