Potholes?

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2002, 11:52 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi All,

Anyone had any experience claming back a damaged tyre/alloy off the local council, any info greatly appreciated

Cheers,

DazW
Old 11 December 2002, 12:03 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

will be trying shortly, if i can be bothered. £190 for a new alloy says i should, but too lazy to bother TBH.
Old 11 December 2002, 12:07 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

My problem is that my alloys are only available in Japan & are £350 a pop, plus Goodyear F1 plus sorting the alignment...aint going to be cheap, so need to make my case water tight!

DazW
Old 11 December 2002, 12:17 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

Get photos of the pot hole before the council fill it in. Take as many as you can, along with photographs of the damaged wheel. If the camera has a date function, use it, so its obvious that the date and time are correct. Take photos of the pot hole first, so it appears on the film before the wheel, otherwise it looks like you tried to find a convenient hole to claim against!

hth in some way.
dave
Old 11 December 2002, 12:24 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

I got wheel and tyre money back from Woking District Council. They refused to pat at first, but if you push it then you should succeed. In my case they had inspected the pothole in question that day and put it down to be fixed the next day. Unfortunately I hit it in the meantime, and they still didn't want to pay,even though they knew all about it!
Old 11 December 2002, 12:30 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

I had some problems with my local council when i tried to claim £700 for the damage caused to my 2nd car. New alloy, shock, suspension arm etc etc. It wasnt a pothole, more like a b100dy crater. I wrote many letters to the claims dept who just replied saying that no one had accepted liability to digging up the road. It dragged on for over 6 months and i just blew a fuse and got my friend who is a barrister to write a letter which created a bit of a stir. Unfortunately i wasnt payed beacause the pothile was outlined in yellow spraypaint WHICH I AM MEANT TO SPOT AT 11PM WHEN IT WAS PISSING DOWN WITH RAIN!!!!!! Apparemtly that is as far as they have to go before they have to fill it. THAT is CONFIRMED by my barrister. I was SERIOUSLY p155ed off as i had to foot the bill. To my disgust i found out that the hole can be exposed for as long as 6 months before they cover it (as long as its sparayed that is.) A farse if you tell me.

Gez
Old 11 December 2002, 12:33 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

My missus did here usual thing of damaging her car every 3 months (one of the reasons the closest she gets to driving my car is ripping chunks of the passanger seat out with her nails as i drive her round in it), but for a change it wasn'r really her fault. One of those yellow bollards was missing from its raised kerb reservation things, and she didn't see it (the raised kerb), popped both front and rear off side tyres and dented both steel rims. There were actually 12 other cars parked on the side of the road with varying amounts of damaged from doing the same thing. 3 others then joined the party while a another friendly victim sorted my missus car out.

Luckily the police arrived shortly after and took everybodies details and gave the name of a person at birmingham city council to speak to. After speaking to them they sent a claim form, which we had to fill in and send all receipts of the repair and send back. This was 3 months ago and we have still heard nothing, but was warned that it could take up to 12 months!!

I'd love see their response if i said i may pay them my council tax some time in the next 12 months!!! Robbing b@stards!!

Trending Topics

Old 11 December 2002, 12:35 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ive got the Tyre shop to write a report, It states that the tyre is damaged beyond repair- due to a 2 inch gash in it! & that the alloy is buckled and recommend a replacement- will try & get photo's of pothole tonight- with ruler to show how big it is, just wondering if its better to use film rather than digi?

DazW
Old 11 December 2002, 12:38 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Digi's are dodgy
Old 11 December 2002, 01:10 PM
uxg
Scooby Regular

You can report potholes which cause damage to the police. I did this a few years ago and got a crime reference number or something similiar and was advised by the police to take pictures of the pothole with a ruler to show how big it is and pictures of the damamged alloy all of which can be combined to build up a good case against the council. I didn't bother in the end as after I had cooled off (I'd only bought the alloys 2 weeks prior) and had a good look during the day I realised the damage wasn't as bad as I thought and it wasn't worth the hassle as it can take a long time to get your money back but with the amounts of money you are talking about I would definately persue it.
Old 11 December 2002, 02:29 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Guys,

Didnt think I had a chance, but feeling a bit better now ...reckon I should take photo's & then report it? cus I know how sneaky them council types are

DazW
Old 12 December 2002, 10:14 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Red face

Bollox, they've only gone & filled it before I had chance to take photo's

DazW
Old 12 December 2002, 10:23 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] unbelieveable [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

If (and hopefully it never will) it happens again, remember to take photos with a normal camera as digital photos are inadmissible if it goes to court...
Old 12 December 2002, 12:12 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mice,

Thats what caused the problem, I had access to digi camera, but not a 'film' camera, so thought Id pick up a disposeable camera on the way back from work & take piccy's then- DoH!

Luckily they havent filled it in too well and its still 4" deep in places, plus Ive got the people who stopped behind me as witness's & it also seems that there have been a fair few 'punctures' at that spot- cus when I phoned the local council I didnt even have to tell them where the pothole was- they'd already had a fair few complaints!

DazW
Old 12 December 2002, 12:24 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Daz

Yes
do get piccies and if possible stick a ruler in the offending pothole to show depth and also how wide it is. The councils have a nasty habit of filling them in when a claim comes in!

Don't get run over!

good luck

Paul