Sponsored by:

Pothole..Grrr

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2002, 09:13 AM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I was meandering along a B-road at approx 40mph on Weds in the P1 when I struck a big pothole.
I saw the pothole, but could not avoid it as I met a car in the opposite direction at the exact point of the pothole. The car slammed into the pothole. It felt and sounded terrible as it shuddered through the car. 18" alloys and 35 profile tyres don't do much for cushioning .
I insepcted the wheel and tyre within a mile and all appeared fine. Now using the car again this morning for the first time since, I notice that the steering wheel is slightly offset (approx 5 degrees anti-clockwise). Inspecting the alloy and tyre very closely you can see marks on both where the impact happened, there is even paint missing off the alloy where the tyre has compressed around the edge of the alloy. At first I thought it was just a rubber mark, I wish.

So not happy!!! I will phone the council and report it and will take photos of the pot hole and car this afternoon.

Can anyone offer advice on the best way to take up this issue and what might be causing the off-set steering wheel. I suspect tracking damage/alignment issues.
Old 14 February 2002, 09:21 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Get it all checked out.

Last year I had the same happen to me. All appeared fine, but the next day I noticed my tyre pressure was down on the fns wheel. turns out I'd flatspotted the inner rim.

£500!! (new alloy, 2 front tyres, geometry check, tracking check)

Old 14 February 2002, 09:30 AM
DBDOM
Scooby Regular

Hi,

My friend in his MR2 did exactly the same on one of our local roads. The next day he noticed his tyre was flat and checked the Alloy where he found a rather large dent. He contacted the local council who came to examine the hole in the road. The procedings are still happening but it does look quite hopeful. The council is responsible for any damage caused to your vehicle through lack of up keep of the roads.
Old 14 February 2002, 09:40 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Red face

Working for a county council this is definatly the case - make sure you write down times/locations (poss. OS map ref? Don't know how good your geog is! Anything to make them deal with it quickly!). If you get the car checked out keep receipts/note of any comments made by the garage (I know it sounds obvious, but you'll be suprised how many people don't do it ).

If is a B road its the council, Truck roads are the highways agency's prob so it'll be the local one. Make sure you contact them ASAP as being a council it'll take a while...

Hope it goes ok - keep us informed...

Jen
Old 14 February 2002, 10:11 AM
Elvis-Presley
Scooby Regular

Same thing happened to me 3 weeks ago - take the wheel(s) off and look at the back, that's where the damage is likely to be.

Cheers

Chris
Old 14 February 2002, 10:24 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Paul
Same happened to me several years ago. Go back photograph the scene and also the damage. Have the tracking suspension checked etc. Inform the local council re the damage and inform them of the location together with grid reference. Also see your solicitor and ask him to commence proceedings againt the authority....this will hasten matters to your benefit. Regularly check the pothole and note when it is repaired and rephotograph.
I know it sounds a lot to do but the authority in under a care and duty to maintain the roads. It took me just over 3 months to get my money back!! Act promptly and your efforts should be rewarded.
Old 14 February 2002, 10:29 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Angry

same thing happened to me, looked like a puddle, turned out to be an 8" deep straight sided hole - wrecked wheel and tyre. Got all the info, took photo's with measurement tape next to hole, sent it all off.

The council put me to their insurers, who stated that as the road had been inspected in the last 6 months and it was fine then, they were not responsible. Apparently the council cannot be held responsible that the roads are always perfect, only that they regularly inspect and repair when they discover anything.

Needless to say soon after the road was repaired, but I did not receive a penny!

Don't hold your hopes too high.

Ian.

(not happy, but what else can I do)

Trending Topics

Old 14 February 2002, 11:01 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I hit a bad pothole in woking just after getting the car. It was in a section of roadworks, I returned as soon as I could get a camera (next day) and it had been tarmaced over. Took pics of the bulge in the tyre and wrote of to the council. They forwarded to the contractor who is responsible and a month or three later I got a cheque for the full amount
Old 14 February 2002, 11:27 AM
Dr Lurve
Scooby Regular

Get your wheel inspected, do you need a new one? and tracking checlked etc Ring Kylie Batsford on 01279 655261 (Herts Highways) and put in an insurance claim. Was the hole in Spellbrook? These holes are real pain.. good luck, Jen.

Old 14 February 2002, 11:37 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Suggest that you take a photo BEFORE reporting to the council (though make it pronto, looks dumb saying you pranged 4 days ago!). I have heard a tale or two on here that some potholes got filled in instantly, leaving the injured party no proof of a claim.
Old 14 February 2002, 02:25 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the advice guys. I shall do the suggested and will keep you informed.
I have spoken to a local council man and he stated there should not be a problem with a claim, even if it is £500+. He thought this was cheap !

Paul
Old 14 February 2002, 04:26 PM
Chris_S199
Scooby Regular

(Jen using Chris' computer )

Sounds good - get that claim in quick Paul!! Good luck

ianc - that's a bit pants...which Council was that then? (Name and shame! )

Jen (not the Dr Lurve one - this is getting confusing )
Old 14 February 2002, 04:36 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

i cut a bend slightly and hit a rock last saturday in my p1, result 2 damaged 17" wheels and tyre knackered
mark
Old 15 February 2002, 10:34 AM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Angry

Dr Lurve aka Jen,

I shall give Kylie a ring. The hole is on the B4506, New Rd, through Ashridge. Grid reference 497723,211108 approx.

I have 'logged' the issue with the 'pothole' line. So I have reference number. I went and took photos of the hole yesterday. The bloody thing is about 1.5ft by 2ft and you can see it is two layers deep, approx 4 inches. Bits of tarmac rock the size of a fist on the verge!

Once again, thanks.

[Edited by PaulMc - 2/15/2002 10:36:51 AM]
Old 15 February 2002, 10:39 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Watch out -- there was a pothole on the M11 roundabout at Bishop's Stortford this morning (between the Stansted Airport and Takeley exits). Needless to say I ran over it -- stopped in the Esso at Start Hill to have a look: no visible damage. Checked tyre pressures and the one that hit it was the same as the one on the other sides. Continued on to Ipswich and everything felt fine, but I'll check properly at the weekend. I suspect somebody on the roadworks got a bit overenthusiastic with his jackhammer
Old 15 February 2002, 11:02 AM
Ole Grey Beard
Scooby Regular

Red face

Make sure you take a picture before you tell the council.
I had the same problem a while ago, phoned the council,
had a coffee, and then went to take picture.

Guess what the hole had been patched up! so no evidence, hence no claim!!!

Sneaky devils..
Old 15 February 2002, 11:03 AM
Dr Lurve
Scooby Regular

PaulMC - may be Kylie will be able to help you (although she may not be able to do anything, you sound like you are in a different part of Herts). I went down a hole (knackered tyre and bent 18inch gold alloy), that happened before Xmas and I just received a cheque for the full amount. I dont think that they could do anything but pay out since one of local residents said that night the lane was blocked by people having to stop and change wheels on their car.

When I went back to photograph the hole it had been filled in. One of the things I put in my letter was that I was driving safely within the speed limits.

Good luck, Jen.
Old 15 February 2002, 11:37 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Jen - Gladly!

Council was Blackburn Borough Council, Lancashire..

...however, dealings with them was fast, efficient, friendly, and was helpful, but I had to then deal with their insurers (they insure the roads!) which was:

Zurich Insurance - it's these that make me angry and made the decision, doing anything to get out of paying up!

I try not to think about it....

IC
Old 15 March 2002, 02:50 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Angry

Just a quick update. The claim is going through and I did get some good photos of pothole and damaged alloy. The claim has been passed onto the Insurance Section. Just spoken to the lady that is dealing with the claim. She says that she is waiting for a report back from the Highways Agency to see if the pothole was knowingly there. If it was I can get money due to the HA negelcting their duties. Otherwise, I suspect I get nothing. So in summary...If I am the 1st person to tell them about this pothole I get diddly

Anyone got any advice if this were to be the outcome?
Old 15 March 2002, 03:02 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Suggestion - if the pothole is huge, it can't just appear overnight. If it did, someone dug it, so they should know about it. If it didn't, it must have developed over months, so they should know about it. Worth a try?
Old 15 March 2002, 03:34 PM
Dr Lurve
Scooby Regular

If the worst comes to the worst, ask if the hole had been there previously and had it been repaired, since Highways are allowed 3 days (after first notification) to make an effective repair and presumably that does not mean laying down a quarter inch of tarmac. The hole that caused me damaged has been repaired 4 times in total now and every time it rains it opens up again. They paid up because the road had been blocked that night with cars changing wheels and also the local residents had complained many times about the general state of the road (might be worth knocking on a friendly resident's door).

As for an ex gratia payment?

Good luck, Jen.
Old 15 March 2002, 04:12 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately there aren't any residents within a mile of the pothole on this particular stretch of road. I must agree that potholes of this size don't appear overnight. Will wait and see what they say before I take it any further.
I did get a call form the Highways Maintenance guys approx 8 days after the incident asking me "where excatly was the hole, as they were going to fill it in"