Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ja! Das is good, nein?

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2000, 12:23 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Well, just got back from a 3 day trip to Germany. Oh the hardship of having to drive the scooby all that way on nice police free roads, running on real cheap (well I think, just got to wait for the visa card bill!) 98 RON SuperPlus as they call it (none of this 97 ron crap!!) Lots of fun!!

rant mode on:

I drove through, I think, four countries, namley, France, Belguim, Netherlands and Germany. On the trip there, I stayed within the speed limit in france, but once I'd got passed by everything and their dog I speeded up and manged to get used to travelling at 100mph plus (usually 120 - 130) when in good old blighty some b'stard would have radar gunned me.

So, the rant. As I said I was travelling at warp speed and I saw only one police car, a netherlands one, and that was at the side of the road waiting to chase people, but they didn't bother with me, even though I went past at around 120mph (maybe they only saw a big black blur oh and a mile (or should that be kilometer) wide grin )

This was one car in 600 miles, not bad eh? and whilst I was blasting along I was being overtaken by others going much, much faster than me. Another thing was that I did not see ANY speed cameras at all.

As soon as I returned to England at around midnight last night the first thing I saw was some poor sode being pulled by plod for speeding! This really, really annoyed me, I felt like pulling over and telling plod that I'd just drove for over 4 hours at 130 mph and saw no accidents or problems, and they're persucuting this poor sode for doing 80!! grrrrrr

rant mode off.

apart from this the trip was a dream, saw the speedo read 140, which I guess is really 130, but even still it's darn quick.
Old 06 July 2000, 01:08 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Angry

And when you drove off the ferry did it not feel like your car had something broken due to the poor quality of our roads?

robski
Old 06 July 2000, 01:36 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

robski:
If I'd driven off the ferry I'd be really, really worried as I went by eurostar

seriously though, the UK roads did seem a little bumpy, but to be honest the road from Brugge to Calais was far worse than the UK motorways. the other countries roads were brilliant, not 100 percent smooth but pretty close.

One thing I did not like was the really, really tight slip roads, caning it down the autobahn and then seeing your exit and trying to zip down it at 120 is not fun! think the brakes need changing now!
Old 06 July 2000, 01:38 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

robski:
If I'd driven off the ferry I'd be really, really worried as I went by eurostar

seriously though, the UK roads did seem a little bumpy, but to be honest the road from Brugge to Calais was far worse than the UK motorways. the other countries roads were brilliant, not 100 percent smooth but pretty close.

One thing I did not like was the really, really tight slip roads, caning it down the autobahn and then seeing your exit and trying to zip down it at 120 is not fun! think the brakes need changing now!

oh! and in the rain their roads are not nice! thought the motorway here was bad, but christ! could not see the white lines on the road due to spray, and even then you've got nutters doing 100 plus!!!
Old 06 July 2000, 01:51 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Old 06 July 2000, 05:00 PM
StewartW
Scooby Newbie

I drove down from the UK to Frankfurt on Tuesday and will have the car in Germany for the rest of July.

Autobahns: what a rush! Average traffic speed was 100-130mph! I managed 140mph at the redline in 5th in my WRX. Pain in the bum when you suddenly go from unlimited speed to 120km/h to 100km/h for maybe only 1/2 mile and then back to unlimited again. Also, good brakes are needed to slow you down when someone pulls out in front doing 70mph - most autobahns are only 2 lanes. I agree rain makes the road surface very tricky indeed. Got caught out last night.

Nice having a stretch of unrestricted a/bahn on the way to work (well, the long way round anyway ) so I can get up to max speed without having to be on the lookout for coppers.

I think I'll enjoy the next three weeks of driving. Oh, 98RON SUL too

Stew

[This message has been edited by StewartW (edited 06-07-2000).]
Old 06 July 2000, 10:12 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Germany is a funny place though - All roads lead to 'Ausfahrt'

Mick
Old 07 July 2000, 09:10 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have had loads of offers of work over in Germany...what's going on over there???

Are all IT contractors abandoning ship because of IR35 ???

Hmmm.....

Is it a nice place to work?? Friendly???

Old 07 July 2000, 10:53 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
I don't know about anywhere else within Germany but I worked in Frankfurt for a couple of weeks on three seperate occasions and had a great time each time.
Old 09 July 2000, 09:11 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Markus: how did you get the Scooby on Eurostar? Drive down the platform at Waterloo? Don't mean 'Le Shuttle' by any chance?

I know what you mean about Continental driving, especially the German Autobahns
Not had a chance to take the scoob over yet but you are right, 100mph is SLOW over there!

But isn't it amazing how they all slow when required for tight bends, warning signs, road conditions? A much better standard of driving than you get on any British motorway.

Can't wait to go Skiing in Austria next year

Chris

Old 09 July 2000, 09:21 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Smile

Sounds like Germany could be a good place for a mega-meet.

Anyone know the best/cheapest way to get there, the b/c places to stay, the b/c roads to drive, some excuse to go there?

mb
Old 03 May 2021, 05:47 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Nein
Old 03 May 2021, 06:53 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie
Nein
how do you get to be a super muppet?
Old 04 May 2021, 09:35 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Yet, Germany's fatality rate on motorways is twice that of the UK's as a percentage

https://www.thelocal.de/20190201/are...-in-the-world/
Old 04 May 2021, 11:56 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
Yet, Germany's fatality rate on motorways is twice that of the UK's as a percentage

And dont start me on Belgium, who have a massively high death rate on the roads, and are some of the worst and most aggressive drivers in Europe.
Old 04 May 2021, 02:56 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix.

Its a tricky one with the Autobahns. The number of accidents on the Autobahn is very low, hence the "safer" claim, but when you do crash its much more likely to be fatal, hence the higher number of fatalities. The number of non-fatal injuries is then also less. Sadly, the number of limit free sections are being ever reduced to 100, 120 or 130kmh!

Environmentally, its pretty bad though, for me above 200kmh its like having your fuel tank on free-flow, you can virtually see the needle falling. Travelling >200kmh is also extremely tiring, which is not great. I find cruising between 150-180kmh is about the optimum balance between fuel consumption, not too tiring and fast enough that you're still paying full attention and therefore less likely to crash.

I find travelling at 70mph in the UK is way too slow, I'm just not stimulated enough and my attention level drops!
Old 06 May 2021, 01:53 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Umm, all of you do realize this is a thread from 21 years ago?

Old 06 May 2021, 05:32 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Umm, all of you do realize this is a thread from 21 years ago?
Ja, Ja!