Setting up a Rolling Road Business

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2004, 02:59 PM
JonathanWR1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up a Rolling Road Business

Hi guys,

Paul, a Friend of mine is thinking of setting up his own Rolling Road business. Hek im not too sure about this thing but he seems serious. Hes asked me to ask anyone on here if they knew how to go about it and where to get the equipment. ? Does anyone on here work for a Rolling Road or has any info? on how you go about it.

Cheers, I dont have a clue but if i can help him, I might be able to get free gos on the RR if he gets it going.

Does anyone have a clue, what exactly is a Rolling Road.?
Old 16 May 2004, 04:06 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

a rolling road cost at least 60k, then you need some where to put it!
Old 16 May 2004, 05:17 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Once he's got a rolling road, what does he plan do do with it? It's no good having one and then not being able to interpret the results or provide advice to the customers.
Old 16 May 2004, 06:42 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Most rolling roads belong to reliable tuners who have built up a reputation over the years, the actual RR is often purchashed as a requirment for their existing services.

Is he a mechanic by trade?
Old 16 May 2004, 09:37 PM
JonathanWR1
Scooby Regular

He is yes,Hes a Mechanic, Hes currently in the Army, yet he leaves soon and wants to go into this sort of thing as a business.
Old 16 May 2004, 11:34 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

OK, £60k - £100k for a good to 4 wheel drive dyno. Then you would need a software/hardware system to control it. On top of that you would need a gas bench and a tuner. Then stuff like fans etc. These days, you may need to build a custom dyno cell to house it all, unless the location doesn't have any neighbours/noise not being a problem.

That would put you in the position to offer rolling road tuning / diagnostics / power runs. Now if he is a mechanic, he may know enough about lots of different vehicles to offer the full service. If he doesn't, bear in mind you won't get rich just offering power runs

Of course, on top of all that you need premises, tools etc. etc. etc.
Old 17 May 2004, 01:13 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

do you really need 60k???

what about 4 upturned "flyer" roller skates and a 50 yr old oscilloscope, nicked from the local physics lab???

...just a suggestion!!

BB
Old 05 May 2021, 10:44 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by brotoisa
Hi all - one of my (many) business ideas is to start up a rolling road and run it as a business in the south east. Thoughts that strike me immediately about this are:

Location is key
Quality of equipment
Large Capital outlay
Lease or purchase of property - warehouse conversion? Garage unit?
Marketing
Technical skills required
Staffing
How sustainable a business this might be (if cars with real engines fail to exist in the future and the world becomes a boring place)

Has anybody carried out any research on this, or indeed has anyone set up a company like this?
Would say they probably did sixteen years ago
Old 06 May 2021, 06:09 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by brotoisa
Hi all - one of my (many) business ideas is to start up a rolling road and run it as a business in the south east. Thoughts that strike me immediately about this are:

Location is key
Quality of equipment
Large Capital outlay
Lease or purchase of property - warehouse conversion? Garage unit?
Marketing
Technical skills required
Staffing
How sustainable a business this might be (if cars with real engines fail to exist in the future and the world becomes a boring place)

Has anybody carried out any research on this, or indeed has anyone set up a company like this?
I'd say its a business with a limited future. If there are no other facilities in your area, then it could work for a short term.
Old 06 May 2021, 05:37 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by immotors
Get a crap dyno that overinflates figures.
start a facebook group and call it something like "wicked scooby dyno bhp bruv" this will attract the clientele you need.
get in with a dodgy tuner, Duncan dynamite is good for this.
Then start group mapping sessions at 250 quid a pop.
get Duncan to flash generic maps to all cars. This usually results in a 50 percent failure rate.
then you can offer rebuilds and inspections.
inspection will never point to dodgy maps and rebuild consist of old used engines and silicone sealer.
Make sure to remove anyone with a bit of subaru knowledge from your Facebook page to avoid being uncovered.
Promote chats on self learning ecus,dump valve bhp gains and wrx being the superior impreza but most of all administrate the page like a Russian dictator and remove anyone with a different point of view to you.

This is a tried and tested method on Facebook for subaru tuners. See sioc,Midland scooby spares,essex subaru crew or whatever they call themselves this week,Rotherham scoobies etc.
Just because you've been removed from most of them groups at one time or another, you old Mazda 3 lover.
The following users liked this post: