Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Formula 4 tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2002, 11:42 AM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I'm off to Brands Hatch this weekend for one of those driving experience efforts. Apparently we do some laps in some tuned Audi TTs (bit like my Scooby for handling I guess?), then jump into the Formula 4 cars for some timed racing !!

Can't wait

Anyone else done this and how was it?
Oh and anyone got any tips on how best to drive a Formula 4 car?

cheers guys
DaveR
Old 04 December 2002, 12:14 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

That sounds like the one I did, tutored laps in the TT, then laps in what they called a Formula Brands (spoilered single seater). My bro and I bought a session for my dad and then paid out own way

It was a really good experience. You learn the track in the TT, do some laps in the single seater, go out for specific extra tuition in the TT based on your performance and finally do 10 timed laps in the single seater. If you beat the clock for 2 out of 10 laps you've "passed" - if you go back again for another session then they raise the rev limit on the single seater for you.

Particular points:

You need plenty of revs when pulling away to not stall the single seaters.

There's a bump on the pit lane exit that makes you accelerate as you bonuce over it and touch the throttle - the loud pedal is v sensitive

The gear change is somewhat "agricultural", and up on the right hand side of the cockpit - you get used to it quickly, though

They accelerate f. quickly

Druids is a bit tricky. I got pulled in and they explained the back end goes light as you crest the hill and you can spin off really easily.

Quality of advice and tutoring was excellent - I easily beat the required pass time

Old 04 December 2002, 12:20 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Nice one Mike, thanks for the reply - that sounds really excellent, particularly the tutoring part.

Although I thought it was going to be fun I sort of suspected it was going to be a bit 'one-size-fits-all' - but specific tutoring on your errors sounds ace

thanks again
DaveR
Old 04 December 2002, 02:07 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

No problem Dave.

We did the course about 12 months ago, I hope they haven't changed the content too much.

It was extremely useful as well as fun - it really makes you think about your driving.
Old 04 December 2002, 02:23 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Dave - you'll probably find its a Formula Ford Great little single seaters, but a tight fit inside.