Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Whats the worst job you have ever had?

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2002, 10:58 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worst job: glass collecting as a youth in the late 1980s in a very dodgy nighclub in Leeds. Dodging flying ashtrays, glasses and drunks with knives who wanted to kill people!

Worst paid: see above. We used to treble our money by stealing bottles of Skol Special and selling them at school.

[Edited by fatherpierre - 12/2/2002 11:00:56 PM]
Old 12 February 2002, 11:02 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

royal bank of scotland or bank of scotland ?

[Edited by barge - 12/2/2002 11:05:49 PM]
Old 12 March 2002, 09:24 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Working on a factory production line that made supplies for the hospitals. It was one of those jobs I got 'cos I knew someone, only everyone found out and promotly ignored me (or spoke ther languages whilst pointing and laughing). The job was impossible (not unlike the 6 lids in 10 seconds thing above, I later found out that you needed weeks worth of training to operate those machines and I'd been put on them with 10 seconds of "do this" explanation [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Lasted 1 week, well, I was getting up at 5.40am and being ignored all day.

Worst paid was the stable hand job I had whilst at School. £15 a day (I did it for about 3 years ). Still, I would have been there as a volunteer otherwise Enough to keep my horse anyway

Jen

[Edited by Jen - 12/3/2002 9:27:00 AM]
Old 12 March 2002, 11:56 AM
ChrisB

LMAO @ DW

The image along sounds grim Reffro, let alone smelling it!

[Edited by ChrisB - 12/3/2002 11:57:01 AM]
Old 02 December 2002, 10:53 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

1.Whats the worst job you have ever had?
2. whats the worst paid job you have ever had?

1. iv only had two jobs and they are both side by side. working in a Take Away and im currently data in puting for Royal bank of Scotland

2. Royal Bank of scotland. £5.20ph.

Ray

[Edited by Ray_li - 12/3/2002 7:12:02 PM]

[Edited by Ray_li - 12/3/2002 7:12:32 PM]
Old 02 December 2002, 11:05 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Red face

I once took a landscaping job. I thought that it would be some maintenance work So i turned up on moday morning slightly enthusiastic. Then we were in the van heading towards the site. Pretty soon we were driving along an exposed windy A road! the place was just a mudbath I thought they were taking the michael, and just looked at him and said "Is this it?!"
Sure enough, it was! the rest of the day was spent digging holes & sticking trees in them! What was worse was that the skip which had all the trees in them was ages away; and every step i took toward it was sinking into the mud which was getting worse due to the wind/rain/hailstones

I walked off the site at 10.30am the next again day
Old 02 December 2002, 11:11 PM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

1) Cleaning tables at Bristol Airport cafe. 8 hours of wiping ashtrays and tables with dirty water and dirty cloths. I wouldn't eat there now! *Barf* Lasted 2 shifts before I thought no more. I was 14.

2) £2.50 p/h working on a market stall when I was 16. Stayed there for 6 months because it was nice pocket money!
Old 02 December 2002, 11:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

1) Gigalo in the 70's

2) £500 a night, she was hard up so I let it ride

Pete
Old 02 December 2002, 11:31 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

I worked one summer for Trebor making soft mints.. £213 a week take home.. and this was in errrmmmm.... 93 I guess..

6am to 2pm one week and 2pm to 10pm the next although we usually did overtime on the lates week until 12...

Hot, manual labour and one bloke lost 3fingers in a machine..

**** roches too.. but I won't go there.

and yes I still eat Softmints..

One perk was free sweets.. arrive in the morning and into first floor and fill one pocket with eclairs, next floor and fill other pocket with mint creams.. and eat the softmints whilst making them..

They have just knocked down the factury.. about time.. I think it would have not taken much to knock it down.

JGM
Old 02 December 2002, 11:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Did you make a mint from that job then????

Pete
Old 02 December 2002, 11:40 PM
ChrisB

Stock lad (aka shelf filling) in Kwik Save as student.

If you ever wondered why your Malt Loaf was damaged...
Old 02 December 2002, 11:45 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL@Pete..

Also used to work in the local newsagents (losely speaking 5miles is my local) used to get up at 5am and cycle 5miles and collect the papers, deliver two rounds finishing about 8 and if a saturday used to then work in the shop until 4, if Sunday then work in the shop until 12.. other wise I went to college..

Of course my current job is no exactly ideal..

Monday I get up at 4:30ish and drive 200miles to work and live away from my family until 12pm on Friday when I drive 200miles home again.. and they have just stopped me accessing Scoobynet from work which is surely against some human right?

JGM
Old 02 December 2002, 11:53 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

Motorcycle despatch rider - 12-hour days in the cold and rain for not much cash. Only got knocked off my bike once in the 3 weeks before I gave it up.
Old 03 December 2002, 07:33 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Wost job was cleaning toilets in a school, which I somehow managed to get whilst temping during my summer holidays mid-way through a Computer Science degree course.

Worst pay is a toss-up between my first job (£1.63/hour as a cashier at Safeway back in 1988) and my current pay now (which is a nightmare, 'cos I struggle to spend it all ).
Old 03 December 2002, 07:50 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I used to be Manager of a car accessory shop, I was 20, just finished college after doing my A-levels and had no staff, no training and no pay. The stock was kept in the cellar which had an open sewer running through it so I kept ordering new stuff rather than go down there and bring stock up
Old 03 December 2002, 08:42 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Angry

Working as a labourer when the CentreParcs at Longleat was being built.
As if getting my hands dirty wasn't enough I spent the first week picking up stones from around the sides of the lakes.
Old 03 December 2002, 08:47 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Worst job was working on a production line for a company making cleaning products - trying to fit 6 caps on bottles of bleach every 10 seconds was a nightmare, and if you stopped you got bollocked.

My eyes and lips turned blue one day cos I got bleach on them

Worst paid job at 16 - worked in the repairs dept of a local fire alarm company, cleaning radioactive smoke alarms - total wage - £62 a week for a 40 hour week.

Worked there until I had earned £360, then bought a nice new Diamond Back mountain bike with the money - 1 week later some git nicked it from my house
Old 03 December 2002, 08:55 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

1. Working in a cattery - basically cleaning cat **** out of litter trays all morning, enough to make you heave at times! £1 per hour.

2. Probably my paper round i did before working in the cattery. £5 per week, I did a Sunday paper round too

In actual fact I work harder then than I do now!

Old 03 December 2002, 09:07 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Pete's fruit & veg stall on a market in Yorkshire. Age 15, £2.50 for a Saturday (supplemented by "mediating" what customers actually paid for the produce ).

Father Pierre -- which crappy nightclub in Leeds was it? Curious as I was around at that time ...
Old 03 December 2002, 09:33 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Red face

bingo caller 15 years ago (I was 21 then)

that was where I met the wife as she worked there part time, so some good came of it
We still have a laugh about it now, I remember my mates at the time giving me some real stick about that job.

shunty
Old 03 December 2002, 09:36 AM
Scooby Snacks
Scooby Regular

I spent a summer in about 1986 doing house clearances when I was about 16. Whilst it was a good laugh and cash in hand (about £20 quid a day which was like loads of money then!) we were normally clearing old houses for recently deceased old people.

We had the odd interesting moment when you would find somthing that has been hidden since the 15th century, but it also involved clearing kitchen cupboards, larders and dirty bed pans!!
Old 03 December 2002, 10:19 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

this one
Old 03 December 2002, 10:22 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Having said that, there was one particular role in the cleaning products production line which was great.

It involved those cream cleaners you can buy for ovens, overalls, glasses, press on tops, and a rubber mallet

Basically the person before you had to "place" the tops on tops of the bottles, then as they came past you had to hit the tops into place with the mallet.

If you were having a fairly bad day, then you could just **** one of the bottles as hard as possible, and it would explode everywhere, sending cream cleaner high into the sky - great fun
Old 03 December 2002, 11:54 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Worst job I ever had...

Aged 16 - Spreading out the straw bedding the duck breading sheds on our local duck farm. Imagine a shed 50 metres long and 20 metres wide with thousands of ducks living in it for 48 days during that time the bedding they walk, sleep, sh*t and pee on is just pilling up beneath them, with a clean layer of straw applied each morning. Now try to imagine the smell of 40 plus days of thousands of duck's p*ss and sh*t combined in a layer of straw 3-4ft deep. Then you can guess why 50% of people who walk into the sheds for the first time honk their guts up when they get their first lung full...

Worst paid... easy that one a Sunday paper round, though £60 tips at Christmas sure cheered me up.
Old 03 December 2002, 12:10 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

Beetroot picking.. red hands and a broken back... Ooooo
Making black pudding. Up to the arm pits in warm pigs blood...
Greasing hot baking sheets at the end of a conveyor belt...

Some **** student work....
Old 03 December 2002, 01:49 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Worst job, just...

Summer spent picking up eggs in a 'free range' chicken farm.
6am start, to a shed packed full of chickens, knee deep in old sawdust and chicken ****. Every clucking one of the things would peck the same bit of the back of your hand as you jammed it under them to grab the eggs [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] finish about 5pm then spend the evening picking dried chicken **** out of your nose. Nice. I lasted a couple of weeks doing this!!

2nd worse job and worst paid...

Summer job as a Bin man working through 'Manpower' for £20 a day. 5:30am the lorry leaves, drops two off on the road to run around collecting bags into piles, then sling them into the lorry. The lorry never stops and you have to keep up, during the day you cover about 25 miles. There were five on the lorry including driver and you fill the lorry up 4 times during the whole day. So if you are pulling your weight you pick up a whole lorry load of about 2000 bags, and they would work through their breaks so they could finish early at 3pm. Worst bits were when you didn't have the strength to throw the bags properly, they would fall short and burst all over the road. You had to scoop it up in your arms and eat your sandwiches later without being able to wash your hands. The guys working for the council were pretty well paid at the time, dunno what it's like now. I lasted one day!

There was a story they used to tell on the round about a bloke that for no apparent reason one day threw 2 bags of rubbish through a shop window...

He used to be a bin man, saw the reflection of the back of a lorry and instinct took over
Old 03 December 2002, 02:07 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Filing Clerk. Mind numbingly boring but pretty good money.

Worst paid job was £6,100 a year for doing 50 hours per week working on the hire desk at a tool hire company. Brilliant laugh though. If the pay had been better, I would have stopped.
Old 03 December 2002, 05:51 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Brick Boy: it was Rocky's on Compton Road, Harehills.

Been shut down for a good few years now.
Old 03 December 2002, 08:07 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Potato picking, £10 a day and all the potatoes you could carry. £70 a week when your 12 ant bad money.
Old 03 December 2002, 08:13 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Worst job? My last one - if there hadn't been a constant barrage of sexual harrassment, victimisation, comments both sexist and racial, a spineless management who did **** all about any complaints, people in management postitions who kept deliberately getting myself and others into trouble because they knew we were far more suitable to their jobs than themselves - then I wouldn't have minded the tedious mind blowingly boring work. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Do I sound bitter?

Worst paid? Care assitant - 3 measly pounds and a token 40 pence.

Quick Reply: Whats the worst job you have ever had?