Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Driving on the left hand side of the road!!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2002, 09:43 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Yes!!! Suprisingly in the UK we should drive on the left hand side of the road unless passing a vehicle in front of us!

Can someone explain to me why 90% of 4king motorists insist on driving in the right hand lane on dual carriageways, and the middle or 3rd lane on motorways, without overtaking anything for miles.

I come accross this every bloody day on the same road.

This morning i got out of bed late, and consequently i assumed i was going to be late! I knew the traffic was going to be worse, but thought i would try and get a move on.

Upon reach a dual carriageway strecth that is some 20+ miles in length from where i join it, all i could see was a stream of traffic sat in the outside lane!

I came off the slip road and joined the dual carriage way at 70mph, i sat on the inside lane, and i was not overtaken once, due to the fact that the outside lane was doing approximately 50mph.

I just cant figure why people sit there in the outside lane waiting for the car in front to move out of the way. Then after another 2 miles you can still see them on and off the accelerator trying to edge the car in front out of the way!

Why oh Why!!

I eventually got into the outside lane after about 12 miles, and low and behold i approach 3 cars sat there with nothing, absolutely nothing, infront of them for a good 1/2 mile.

I shall however give credit to these 3, as each of them had the driver skills to look in their rear view mirror and realise that there is a scoob fast approaching, and pull in to the inside lane to let me past!

However they then proceeded to jump back into the outside lane and continue the steady 50mph procession!Why?

I then came accross Mr Modded 106 gti sat in the outside lane, who i have mentioned before on here, at 1st he decided he would stay there and accelerate, why i dont know, he did then move out, i flew past and then he went back to the outside lane and tried to slipstream me!

No bloody chance this time matey!

When i was 21 i failed my motorbike test the 1st time, for not using a bus lane when i should have done. The examiner said " we drive on the left in the UK Mr..."

This comment has always stuck with me, and i always endeavour to drive on the left unless passing a vehicle.

Now why cant i every 4ker else do the bloody same!![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

End of rant.

Sorry end of a bad week, and it just sent me over the edge!
Old 29 November 2002, 09:51 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Because some people get into their metal boxes and become invincible. Whatever they do, they are right...no question. Oh and they are also the best driver out there and everyone else should get a clue.

Alternatively, they are rude twazzocks who wouldn't know the Highway Code if it stood on their dashboard in a tutu doing the Lombada.
Old 29 November 2002, 10:01 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Alternatively, they are rude twazzocks who wouldn't know the Highway Code if it stood on their dashboard in a tutu doing the Lombada.
I probably wouldn't recognize it either. I'd be to busy trying to work out who had spiked my corn flakes.
Old 29 November 2002, 10:59 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Totally agree.

The really annoying thing is, if you use the inside lane the people behind you just fill the space in the outside lane. I think this part of the problem, everyone is afraid of losing out a few feet of progress, so they defend their spot on the right hand lane.

I get rather annoyed at having to go from the inside lane to the outside lane on a 3-4 lane motorway, just to overtake some lone idiot bimbling along at 65.

The government used to spend money on those great public information films. I guess we have to be content with extra safety all those speeding convictions create.

I have often fantasised about an idiot seeking rocket launcher.

Paul
Old 29 November 2002, 11:02 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I have often fantasised about an idiot seeking rocket launcher.
Really? You need to get out more

Old 29 November 2002, 11:07 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Come on. If there's a lorry faintly visible on the horizon you can't expect us to move back in. I mean what's the point when we'll have to move back into the outside line in 5 minutes anyway?
Old 29 November 2002, 11:14 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Paul, i agree with nick, and the rocket launcher is a bit harsh.

jlanng, 5 minutes at 60mph is a long distance so pullover
Old 29 November 2002, 11:14 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The point is, you then create a huge fecking tailback and everyone starts bunching together. That's usually when accidents happen with knobends driving to close and rear ending someone.

Stefan
Old 29 November 2002, 11:18 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
No but, if theres three lanes, I would expect you to move across..

I stay left and move right as needed...

And I can guess the road your on about... thats got to be the worse road for *****....

same road where someone pulled out across the front of you from a slip road across all the lanes and sent you into central reservation?? Nuff Said.

edited to add 5mins at 60mph = 5miles.

David

[Edited by David_Wallis - 11/29/2002 11:19:57 AM]
Old 29 November 2002, 11:19 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

OK, take the slow truck scenario. If everyone just moves into the fast lane and waits, then the tailback just gets bigger and bigger.

If everyone used proper lane discipline, then you could keep the queue shorter by using both lanes, keep a sensible distance between cars and just merge the traffic behind the truck.

I also can't stand it why folk keep braking when they're stuck behind these queues. Why can't they just lift off the throttle; don't they realise they car will slow down naturally

All you need is some numpty to just brush the brake pedal and it starts flowing all the way down the queuing cars.

And while I'm on a rant, why is that when you're overtaking a few trucks (at say 75mph) with a couple of other cars in front of you, some to$$er comes flying up your tailpipe weaving around trying to suggest he wants past. Like, WTF am I gonna go ?

[/rant over]
Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 11/29/2002 11:28:23 AM]
Old 29 November 2002, 11:23 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

David, correct road.

Ozzy, bingo!
Old 29 November 2002, 11:35 AM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

20 miles of dual carriageway!?? You lot are spoilt! You want to try the A9 North of Perth when you get stuck behind Safeway lorries doing exactly 40 miles an hour with absolutely no intention of pulling into lay bys to allow the 5 mile queue to clear, despite huge signs everywhere saying "Frustration Causes Accidents" and they wonder why there are so many fatal accidents on that road? The classic head in the sand motoring phrase springs to mind "I have never Had An Accident - But I've Seen A Few!! Yeah, in the rear view mirror!!
Old 29 November 2002, 11:54 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Indeed

In my case i have already done 20 miles on such a road by the time i get to the dual carriageway.

i often wonder how much a little helicopter would cost!
Old 29 November 2002, 12:04 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

In addition to the above post about lorries, they have a sticker on the back saying "WELL DRIVEN"?? Eh, no actually!!