Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Self defense weapons

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2002, 08:17 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can a person carry any self-defense weapons on their person in the UK? Pepper spray? Mace? A telescopic baton? Air pistol? Stun gun? Or is everything banned?

Thanks guys.
Old 27 November 2002, 08:49 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

You need to join the cops if you want to carry that little lot
Old 27 November 2002, 08:50 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

All illegal.
Old 27 November 2002, 08:51 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Dude, you even aren't allowed to defend yourself with martial arts as its counted as a weapon. Its a gray area and the only way to get out of it is with the help of an expensive lawyer.
Old 27 November 2002, 08:57 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

best you can carry is a fist full of soverin rings to use as a set of knuckle dusters, only problem is prople may be more interested in having a go to get the rings.

guess you could carry a can of hairspray, or bodyspray.

but in real life would you have time to get it out & use it ? always better to stear clear of situations where you need a weapon.

enrole on a self defence class, or a martial art class, these may not make you bruce lee but will give a bit of confidence, if you look confident [or are built like a brick sh1te house] you are less likly to get hassle, plus you will get fitter at these classes & may actualy learn how to defened yourself, but the best means of defence is being able to out run linford christy.
Old 27 November 2002, 09:42 PM
rallyb0y02
Scooby Regular

well theyre all banned but martial arts ar a good help! i have done taiquando and kickboxing, both are VERY useful!

Switch
Old 27 November 2002, 09:57 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Not allowed to carry anything...however, I was taught:

Always buy an umbrella with a point (conviently the SWRT one has one ) and to carry keys in your pocket. Keys and sharp points are painful

I also have my hockey stick conviently by the front door (the squash racquets and Basketball stay there too...it's natural to leave sports euipment by the front door isn't it? Oh, and a large maglite fits handily beside a scooby passenger seat

Jen
Old 27 November 2002, 09:58 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Wink

But this ok to use

Look here

Huxley
Old 27 November 2002, 10:01 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Jen,

By leaving sports 'weapons' by the front door you're at risk of having them used against you by any slag that should break in!

Under the bed's a better resting place, I'd say.
Old 27 November 2002, 10:15 PM
steve G MAN
Scooby Regular

little rounders bat under your feet aint illigal wop em round the head with that good thing is its not too big as well
Old 27 November 2002, 10:19 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Katana, where did you get that info about not being allowed to use martial arts? Sounds extremely wrong to me. Law allows reasonable force in self-defence. If he punches you and you shoot him, it's unreasonable. If you are trained in martial arts, you are expected to show a greater degree of control than if not - just means that you're not expected to jump on his head eight times while he's lying on the ground with bruised plums. Doesn't mean you can't bruise his plums to begin with. Some guy pulled a hunting knife on me, I punched him in the throat. He was out of his head on speed at the time. Police didn't want to trouble me for it.

switch, I take it your "taiquando" instructor was Chinese? Koreans spell it tae kwon do.

Brendan (LLB, LLM, 2nd Dan )
Old 27 November 2002, 10:21 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

a laywer told me to say this if you bet the cr@p out of someone then went to the police station "He attacked me, i paniced and used MINIMAL force"
then again dont stick around for the police

Ray

Group buy on the Defender spray
Old 27 November 2002, 10:26 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

who said you need to tell the police you did martial arts?

Raymond S.W. Li Jeet Kune Do
Old 27 November 2002, 10:42 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Ray, when you got your black belt, did you had to register it here? I got my first dan in TKD many years ago in the far east. Took other arts just to make me feel more confident. Nowadays, I just stick to jujitsu as i don't have to hurt my opponnent much to imoblise him....much.

ps. check out my old thread.
Old 28 November 2002, 06:57 AM
davek
Scooby Regular

huxley,
Thanks for the link, i was looking for a steering wheel lock and see the billy bat in new stuff.

I think 2 birds with 1 stone springs to mind.
Old 28 November 2002, 07:41 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Under our fantastic English law, if you're bald, f'r instance and carry a can of hairspray, that can be deemed as "going equipped" as you have no noticeable use for said spray...

However, someone can break into your house, ransack the place, steal anything of value, beat you up and leave you for dead, torch the house and knock someone over as they screech out of your drive in your car and they get reprimanded...
Old 28 November 2002, 08:08 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Kubotan keyrings ....

http://www.keychaindefense.com/html/store.asp?cat=5.

Although looking at the picture, it looks remotely like something that was mentioned on "Sex tips for girls" the other day!

Steve.
Old 28 November 2002, 10:30 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I am surprised that Katana hasnt suggested the old favourite lurking in your pocket..........a camel spider

<frantically searches for picture.....>

Old 28 November 2002, 11:05 AM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Interesting stuff that I dug out of my textbooks from when I studied Law many years ago:

The Lords debates on the Prevention of Crime Act 1953 show that the police have no legal monopoly to carry defensive weapons. This matter was raised by Lord Soulton quoting from Lord Halsbury's Laws of England on a private person's common law power of arrest who said,

"I have always held that the preservation of the Queen's peace was the duty of everyone of her subjects, and the police were only citizens with special responsibilities"... "In fact, the idea that a person could not defend himself was, in Lord Halsbury's time, unthinkable. This was not the first time that it had been sought to make the police into a privileged class, but the attempt had always been rejected, and I hope that it will be rejected again"... "If the citizen was not allowed to defend himself, the Government would have to accept responsibility for his defence, at least in public places."

"The Government will have the sole responsibility. If no-one is allowed to carry any sort of weapon to defend himself or herself against the strong and armed, and defence becomes a peculiar function of the policeman, will the relatives of the killed or injured have a right to compensation if the Government fail in the discharging of the duty they are undertaking?
So is this the current situation? The police have the duty to defend all of us without us getting involved? Is it still our duty to make Citizen's arrests as necessary to preserve the peace? And if so, we cannot use weapons to do so? Bit of a catch-22, isn't it?
Old 28 November 2002, 11:08 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Drudle its winter. Old face off would freeze to death the poor little softie. Its a desert spider remember.
Old 28 November 2002, 11:28 AM
jasonwrxowner
Scooby Regular

I just ordered a can of pepper spray off e-bay for the missus andthe guy is willing to send it to the UK in a plain package. $2.95 + postage.

Old 28 November 2002, 11:33 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Be careful Mr. Pepper spray importer:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2516619.stm

Steve.

** Edited to make it clickable **

[Edited by boxst - 11/28/2002 11:34:08 AM]
Old 28 November 2002, 07:30 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can legally own a crossbow, and they fit nicely under the bed. The big Barnett ones are so powerfull the bolts go straight through bales of hay and the 3/4" planks that the bales were propped up on. We had to use a house front door behind the planks to keep the bolts from vanishing. Don't quite know how you convince the police it was minimal force, but at least you could stick em to the wall....
Old 28 November 2002, 08:08 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Ok,guys, here's a hypothetical...

If the two little girls from Soham who were murdered had been given pepper spray by their parents and had used it on their attacker and managed to escape, would they be arrested for carrying an offensive weapon?

The public outcry would be enormous, surely?
Old 28 November 2002, 08:40 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dan, I think even the best Brief in the land would have trouble convincing a jury and Judge that shooting someone with a Crossbow was using minimal force necessary!
Like someone said before, having 'weapons' or rather 'tools' in your possesion which are relevant to your employment may have more chance of keeping you out of pokey and an unexpected 'marriage' to an inmate called 'Mad dog'Jack.
Can't think who uses a Barnett Crossbow as their tool of the trade....part-time Ninja? .....apprentice assassin?
Old 28 November 2002, 08:51 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Well, I carry a locknife in case I need it while fishing - surely I can do that? and its VERY handy on my ankle - and the one in the door pocket is for DIY - and the one in my pocket is for my sewing class

Pete
Old 29 November 2002, 08:46 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Boxst - your link pertains more to the StunGuns that were imported, than the Pepper Spray...

Taff107 - I have 2 crossbows in the house and various other weaponry including a 2 handed axe, mace, daggers, swords, long bow, flail, pike etc. Don't need a licence for any of them and I have a perfectly good excuse in that I do mediaeval re-enacting.
Old 29 November 2002, 08:49 AM
Luke
BANNED

Pete
Check the lengh of the blade..I believe over 3.inches and your in trouble???
Old 29 November 2002, 08:51 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Pete - you can only carry the weapons if you are going to or coming from the place where you are intending to use it. Depending on the weapon, you may have to demonstrate proof - ie if you say that you're going fishing, it's advisable to have some sort of fishing equipt also in the car! Otherwise it's deemed "going equipped".

Doesn't matter whether it's a Katana, Lock-knife, Steak Knife, Dinner Knife or spatula knife.

[Edited by Mice_Elf - 11/29/2002 8:55:14 AM]
Old 29 November 2002, 08:53 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Just to keep everyone happy...

Quick Reply: Self defense weapons