Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A question for all you BBQ experts

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2002, 10:08 AM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

We've got the whole family in for Christmas this year and I'm already envisaging problems with a 15lb turkey in the oven, trying to do roast spuds and all the other stuff that goes with it - do you get the idea?

I remember a guy who I used to work with years ago telling me he used to cook his turkey in his BBQ and it worked a treat. I recently inherited a big Webber kettle barbque from a mate who's gone down the gas route. The instructions do mention this 'indirect' method of cooking and I've had a trial run with a joint of beef which worked a treat. Doing a meal for 12 or so is upping the odds a bit and I'd like to know if any of you guys have tried this before. Presumably you have to keep topping up the charcoal but how do you keep the temperature inside the kettle constant? Any ideas on how long a bird of that size needs and should you keep it covered with foil until the last session like you do in a normal oven?

Grateful for any pointers.

Cheers
Kav

Old 14 November 2002, 10:24 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

hmmm.... bbq turkey, what a top notch idea! I havn't tried a turkey, but as you say, those webbers are excellent on a joint of beef. I presume you have the wire splitters that part the charcoal either side of the meat?

Not being much of a cook I couldn't tell you how long it needs to be in there, but I would recommend using briquettes intead of lumpwood charcoal, as they burn for much longer at a more constant temperature. Lumpwood tends to burn at the temperature of the sun for a much shorter time!

One thing to consider though is turkey has a tendency to dry out more than beef, there might be a way round it somehow...

Old 14 November 2002, 10:28 AM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks mate

Yes - I've got all the gizmos, I'm just not sure how to execute! It does say in the Webber blurb that the kettles do help the meat retain a lot of their moisture but I'm not so sure. A trial run might be in order.......

Cheers
Kav
Old 14 November 2002, 10:30 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

dunno abou BBQ's I usually let SJ_Skyline do all the cooking! lol
Old 14 November 2002, 10:31 AM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

Nothing to add other than it sounds a great idea.. Any free spaces round your table?
Old 14 November 2002, 10:37 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

if you put it on now it should be cooked in time. How about borrowing your mates gas BBQ. Should be easier to regulate the temp at least
Old 14 November 2002, 10:46 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
I've got a kettle style bbq beastie at home, have used it for whole chickens without a problem, not sure on the Webber one tho....

Ours is charcoal, put in a tray with some water (Not a lot) to create the steam with some hickory chips in, put the chicken in and leave it for a few hours - we dont usually cover the chicken at all, the temp in the kettle will need monitoring so you may have to add more coals in, but you've really got to keep an eye on it as birds tend to dry out very quickly unlike red meats.....
Old 14 November 2002, 10:54 AM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks chaps - keep 'em coming.

Alpine
Sorry mate - fully booked at present but you'll be the first to know if anyone does drop out.

Cheers
Kav
Old 15 November 2002, 05:53 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Found this on the Weber website if anyone else is tempted:

The way forward

Cheers
Kav

Old 15 November 2002, 06:05 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

Why don't u just cook the turkey first then the veggies. My mum puts the turkey on timed so the oven turns on at about 4am on Christmas morning and its easily cooked by 9am. Less crumbly if its cooled after cooking also. Then at say 12noon, you start cooking your veggies, chestnut stuffing, meat ***** etc etc.

BBQ seems a good idea but you need to make sure the bird is cooked or everyone will be ill

laters

fris
Old 15 November 2002, 07:29 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks mate

If the bird's done at 9, what do you do with it for the next 4 hours or so?

Cheers
Kav