Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Natural Talent

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2002, 03:27 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Probably been discussed before but who cares!!!!

Is it really possible to be able to get into any car and find it's limits instantly?

I personally take a bit of time getting to know the car and all it's little niggles before taking it to the max.

I've had a few conversations about this throughout my years of driving and I have always been called a big girl for doing this but I feel it is better to be safe than sorry!

What are you thoughts??

AJ

Old 28 October 2002, 03:39 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Sometimes natural talent is just lack of fear
Old 28 October 2002, 03:39 PM
jasonwrxowner
Scooby Regular

There are very few people that can get straight into a car and drive it to it's limits and they are generally professional drivers.

All cars are different even the same makes and models. It is impossible to reproduce the exact specifications over and over again.

Seasoned race drivers spend a few laps with their car after any adjustments have been made to ensure that they know how it will react. This says something.

Only a fool would think that they knew it all and gets into a car and takes it to the limit straight away. These people tend to end up in the armacco or a tree.

Ignore what other people say and ensure that you are comfortable with the car before testing it's limits. That way you will stay alive long enough to tell people what you thought of the drive rather than have people discuss the mistakes that they think you made that led to you're demise.

Stay safe.

Old 28 October 2002, 04:06 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Smile

agree totally, I personally never push it in the wet, & I found out what liftoff oversteer was last year, **** meself to be honest as it was the first time I hadn't been in control of the car
I wasn't goin too fast luckily (45mph) on a tight bend on my own in the dry.
Take the time YOU need not what other people tell you, sounds like you have done this anyway
It's also about knowing the roads as well.

shunty
Old 28 October 2002, 05:24 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Q. Has a Mr M Schumacher ever crashed in testing?

I believe so. If he doesn't know the limits, why should you?
Old 28 October 2002, 05:42 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Brenden not true. Sometimes its sorta like a sixth sense where you just know what the limits are. My dad is probably one of the best example of this. I've seen him drive a totally unfamiliar car to the limits without losing it. When I asked him how he does it, he can't explain it himself.
Old 28 October 2002, 05:45 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

But Mr Schumachers circumstances are different. He knows he can crash that car at a high speed and expect to live. He wears a crash helmet and sits in a cockpit that can survive substantial impact speeds. He also knows that he cant take out other drivers head on and wont get higher insurance etc. Its a totally different ball game comparing him to the average scoob driver. Most people on here (myself including) probably dont even use 70% of their cars potential.

Someone did hit on the fear aspect though. If your afraid (after a bad accident or crash) then you wont be able to go that extra inch required.

Simon.
Old 28 October 2002, 06:22 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

A lot of it boils down to the definitions of "unfamiliar" and "limits". Most professional drivers (both test drivers and race drivers) have driven and continue to drive a wide range of cars, this allows them to have a fair idea of where the limits will be for a given type of car.

Someone who is used to driving a 2 litre Vectra could get into a 2 litre Mondeo and drive it quickly, appearing to drive the car to its limits. But put them up against a Ford development driver and you would see the difference.

Equally, put the 2 litre Vectra driver in a winged racing car and they would not be able to drive at the limits of the car straight away. They might be able to drive under and over the car's limits, but not at its limit without time behind the wheel.
Old 28 October 2002, 07:00 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I was a mechanic for eight years so I'll just wander up to any car and drive it with confidence, driving on the limit is something all together different.

I've had my own car for a little over four years and I'd say that just recently I've wrung every last little bit of performance out of it.... that's a Fiesta si btw, I'd say you boys with the likes of scoobs etc haven't a hope in hell of gettin anywhere nears it's limits!

Bob
Old 28 October 2002, 07:26 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

[swiss tony voice on]

learning a new car is very much like making love to a stunning women. You must first enter the car and make yourself comfortable, accustomise to your new surroundings. Then you flick the switches and see what does what. Next you fire her up and experiment with the thrust. Now you are ready to explore her limits.... You get the picture

[/swiss tony voice off]

It takes me a while to get to know a new car, you need to drive it lots and in lots of different conditions to fully appreciate what its all about IMO. I knew the VTS way better than I know the scooby......for now
Old 28 October 2002, 07:31 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Wink

AJ x