Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Watches (AGAIN!!) but for the ladies this time

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2002, 07:46 PM
Karlos Fandango
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Its the time of year when I have to start racking my brain for chrimbo pressies for my beloved. As you might guess from the title I'm considering getting her a watch, but not too sure of what would be appropriate. Went to local watch type shops in the big smoke of Norwich and came away with a Tag brochure.

Thing is, are Tag's etc a more blokey type of pressie?? Any girlies out there care to comment??

I checked the site and found quite a bit, mainly that buying off the net is a big 'No-No'. BUT....... We're going to Tenerife on the 7th of Jan so could I pick up a bargain (and not off a street seller)??

Cheers,

Karlos
Old 24 October 2002, 08:00 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

are expensive watches a girl thing at all?

my wife would go nuts if i spent a tenth of what my watch cost on one for her, big waste of money she'd say.

T

ps- if i bought her a tag she wonder if she was gonna get oakleys and a baseball cap next
Old 24 October 2002, 08:23 PM
D Noble
Scooby Regular

Had tags since "before they were famous" bought my wife one 12 years ago,i personally thing a chunky watch on a girl is quite sexy,so sont bother with the ladies size,go for mid..

reason for doing that was that she kept loosing her other "cheap" watches(about four) so the theory was that she would take more care with the tag(£450 at the time) it worked! still has it.
didnt work for me though,got mine stolen of my wrist in france on business when i was pi$$ed!
replaced it with an omega seamaster 5 years ago.

regards
dave
Old 24 October 2002, 09:12 PM
Wild Stallion
Scooby Newbie

Smile

yeah,tags,got an arm full of'em.
anyway got bored with that and now replaced them with big ben and the hanging gardens of babylon.
Old 25 October 2002, 11:35 AM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Talking

After getting an Omega Seamaster from my other half for my 30th I thought I'd better do the same. Ended up spending quite a bit more (bye bye Scooby Upgrades Fund!) and got her a Rolex.. Not sure what the model's called. It's white gold with a grey/blue face, smart "machined" bezel and the date "bubble". Looks very classic and won't date. Paid about £1500 duty free and she was chuffed to bits with it. Check them out along with Tags etc...
Old 25 October 2002, 01:04 PM
bros2
Scooby Regular

Bought my wife a Tag 10 years ago, she loved it then and still wears it now. It's not girly girly, but that's probably why she likes it so much

bros
Old 25 October 2002, 01:13 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

My other half got me a Gucci watch recently and i am well chuffed with it. Tag watches are unfemine and as a girl it personally wouldn't be my first choice for a watch.

Anyhow, try orolus.com they sell brand name watches very cheaply and are very efficient- we had absolutely no problems with them at all.

Old 25 October 2002, 01:36 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife was looking for ages for a nice Seiko, mooned at Guccis for a bit, but I think we're settling on a Rolex ladies' Oyster; just have to decide the face colour and Roman numerals or not, but there aren't many to see round here!
Old 25 October 2002, 02:52 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Cartier anyone? Always liked them. Had gents model myself for a while but the timekeeping (mechanical movement) was utterly hopeless! Quartz obviously spot on.

More classy than my Missus bi-metal Rolex if you ask me (but keep it quiet ). She wears it loose like a bracelet, as most people do, but the gold wears against the steel and a new bracelet recently cost £700 You can buy a lot for a Scoob for that kind of money but I guess the watch is ten years old after all.

Greg, anymore white gold Rolexes for £1,500?!? I'll have ten, please. White gold, platinum and steel look almost identical, except for the style of bracelet and/or concealed clasp only available on gold/platinum models.

Cheers,

Richard.
Old 25 October 2002, 03:08 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

bought my wife a diamond tag alter ego. She loves it.
Very well made and looks very girly.

cheers

paul
Old 25 October 2002, 04:31 PM
Karlos Fandango
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hmmmmmmmmmm still not too sure. I bought myself a Tag about eight years ago and its been superb. It seems like it can take a real hiding and I'm not convinced the Gucci,Rolex,Cartier would be as long lasting???? The other half isn't a typical girlie (usually out wrestling with her horse) so I'm not sure if she'd go for the more sparkly ones. What other makes are worth considering, other than the usual suspects.

Cheers all

Karl