Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Job question (employee rights)

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2002, 06:56 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically,i work for *** and i've been after a job at another *** department approx 10 miles away.Its more money and better prospects.Recently there was a vacancy for the job i wanted,but i found out yesterday it was filled from within the site,much to my annoyance.

Should they have advertised it around other *** sites,and do i have any rights to demand an interview.I feel pretty annoyed that i never had the chance to apply for it.I'm sure there is some obligation to advertise internal vacancies.
(every week btw,we get a list of other vacancies all over the country)

Any advice appreciated
Old 19 October 2002, 09:29 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

A similar thing happened in a company i used to work for. A few people complained and from then onwards all vacancies within the company were posted as open to anyone. I'm not sure if it was just to go along with company policy or if it was 'by law'.

It didn't make a difference since the posts were usually filled before the interviews even started. The interviews were just a formality to cover the company's back.
Old 19 October 2002, 09:42 PM
worley
Scooby Regular

You'll find that there will be many 'appointments' in the company. This is usually a product of the HRP (human resources placement) scheme, which probably exists without publicity. The best way to obtain such a job is to approach your 'manager' and ask about career development within the company and the schemes that are currently in place. Use the example above and suggest that it was a shame that the last position was not available, and that a way of going forwards would be to complete the necessary forms to appear on the database (or similar) and then welcome to the club!

Best to tackle this at an interim performance review or similar.

I know that to many this stinks, but best of luck

Nik
Old 19 October 2002, 10:16 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

The Co I work for has a policy that any internal vacancy (above "grunt" level) has to be internally advertised - even when there is only one person in an organisation with several thousand employees who could actually meet the requirements). This is purely company policy though - no legal requirement to do so I'm afraid.
Old 20 October 2002, 05:57 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

The thing is my manager was aware of my interest in the position a while ago,promising to inform me when it became available.
However,the vacancy was not advertised where i work,and i was not told until AFTER the closing date

I think there's an issue about not wanting to loose me to another site.When i confronted the people responsible all i got was waffle about wanting to fill it on-site.
They promised if it came up again i'd be allowed to apply.Bull$hit if you ask me

All in all i'm a bit pissed off.
Old 20 October 2002, 09:04 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

This unadvertised internal promotion has happened in the workplace of someone I know quite recently.

The person I know who works at the company that did this would probably due to their very busy home life, never of gone for one of the vacancies if they had been advertised anyway, but the fact that it was all done behind closed doors has really made them feel unvalued by their employer.

Also they are more qualified than both of the people who got promoted into new roles and have the same experience in this field as them, with the upshot being that it looks like now, that half the workforce will leave due to this underhand operation by the manager. As they also feel that the way these 2 positions where filled, was out of order and shows total lack of respect by the employer for the employees.

Some of the time one of the people who has been promoted asks the advise of the person who feels undervalued and has even admitted to them, that they are just as capable as them, if not more so of doing the deputy managers job. Although on the one hand this is seen as a compliment coming from a friend. To constantly be reminded by this person about what happened, by being asked for their advise. A lot of the time on how to do the job, that they have been promoted to, is wearing thin, if they felt so strongly why take the promotion in the first place and also inform the manager of who they felt was a better person for the job. To be constantly told "you are just as good as me" and asked "how would you deal with this" just highlights the fact that they have been ignored.
This person was very happy in their job until this all happened and would always work late or swap shifts if asked by their employer, but now they couldn't give a damn anymore and have stopped using their initiative and going the extra mile, and are now just going to go in and do their shift, with the upshot being that they are going to take all that they can get in training and then at the first opportunity they will be gone.
And to think, all it would of cost the employer to stop this ill feeling among the workforce would of been to advertise the job internally.
Sorry I'm not sure if internal vacancies have to be advertised by law but one of the large unions, such as the Transport and General Workers Union or the Communication Workers Union has probably got a website with the information on.
ian
Old 20 October 2002, 09:11 AM
AnDy_PaNdY
Scooby Regular

It happens all the time in our company (American owned). If you havn't been approached before the job goes on the board (if at all) you don't stand a chance.
Old 20 October 2002, 01:13 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

look at it the other way.

We had a job advertised and about 10 people went for it - but we all knew the job was already filled, just an exercise really, all a complete waste of time and money IMO.
Old 20 October 2002, 09:18 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

So all in all,there's not much i can do about it........still not happy...
Old 20 October 2002, 09:40 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

if it makes you feel better my boss decided he'd have all my emails forwarded to himself without telling me.

You try working for someone like that!