Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

TV satelite question.

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2002, 07:46 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, I'm trying to find out if it's possible to get english tv in France, throught a satelite dish, can't be that difficult surely!
Old 18 October 2002, 09:32 PM
dean harris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ron,
What type of english viewing channels are you after in France?Do you mean Sky or Free to Air or encrypted Channels.
I will bring along a copy of What Satellite along to Longleat.I bet you're really excited now!

Old 18 October 2002, 11:07 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

You need a Satellite dish and a Sky Digibox.

If you're happy with just BBC you can get a free viewing card. If you want the Sky Channels aswell you'll need a subscription. This will have to taken out in the UK as the licence doesnt cover france, so you'll need a friendly UK address to registar it against.

Reception of sky with a reasonable dish (60cm) is fine in northern france - may need something bigger in the south.

Watched the footy via Sky in a tent @ Le Mans this year quite happily with a 60cm dish and digibox

Deano
Old 19 October 2002, 12:15 AM
normarker
Scooby Regular

"Reception of sky with a reasonable dish (60cm) is fine in northern france - may need something bigger in the south."
Can you explain that? Surely the satelite is in a geosynchronous orbit which means its 22000miles up over the equator, presumably on the prime meridian so the further south you go the stronger the signal till you get to the equator. Unless the signal is highly directional and squirted directly at the UK of course. Is it?
Stands by to be corrected.
Old 19 October 2002, 10:25 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Normarker

Correct, but the signal is focussed at Liverpool and the further you move away from the centre, the weaker the signal strength.

See http://www.ses-astra.com/market/brit...ital/index.htm for more info.
Old 19 October 2002, 10:31 AM
stratboyslim
Scooby Newbie

I live in Brittainy ! We get all the channels, but sometimes we get mosaics, especially when it pisses down ! Maybe the satellite dish is out of line a touch ( is that possible? ). When the french geezer fitted it, I told him where to put the dish and he promptly put it somewhere else ! Also, where do you get the free BBC card mate? I'm up for that !
And while I'm slagging off the french. I had my cd player fitted in my car. I told the geezer( different one ) ; Only fit it if you can connect it so the volume controls etc.... on the steering wheel work. So he promptly fitted it; and they don't work..........
Now its ****ed!
Old 19 October 2002, 12:00 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

From Pete's link - the sky footprint is "focused" on the UK.

Plenty of Satellite sites will explain how to do it. There is no reason you cant install your own dish, alignment is perfectly possible just takes a little patience. Took me an hour or so the first time I tried (at home). Once in france took about 10 mins. (Ground mount pole outised the tent was a little wobbly )

BBC Card details here You'll almost certainly need to call from the UK with valid UK address which has a TV licence.

Deano

[Edited by dsmith - 10/19/2002 12:01:56 PM]