Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone her got/know anything about Conservatories?

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2002, 03:07 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the better half is considering a conservatory for the house (there goes the Cat Seven!) and I'm wondering...

Let's say you spend 10k on one, obviously it won't add 10k, but it must add something to your house price - does anybody have any clues??? Is there a 'rule of thumb'?

I thought about maybe 30% of the conservatory value?

Thanks
Old 16 October 2002, 03:11 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

I don't think there is a rule of thumb! It will depend on the size of the house in the first place, the style of the conservatory its shape etc.

My house has a conservatory however its one of the early ones (well thats the early cheap ones rather than a traditional timber one). I doubt it adds anything to the house as it is not double or triple glazed, is too small etc.

What I would say is get quotes and don't go for the cheapest! Speak to friends etc, and het whoever you ask to quote to put you in contact with their customers, and do contact them!

Old 16 October 2002, 04:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
How handy are you?
I built a Wickes one last year, complete with brick dwarf wall, ( although why we had to have that, I don't know, I've never seen a dwarf round here.)
Seriously, I went to college for 6 weeks, and learnt basic bricklaying, then did the entire job myself, asking for a "lift" with heavy bits (long cills, window panels, and french doors), 3 times.
Size is 3.6 x 3.8 m.(Wickes size:B3), and its a Victorian "pentagonal" design.
Cost was £5000, just under, but that included the footings, the bricks and mortar, the plaster for inside (ex-house outside wall, the dwarf wall was left as bare brick), the floor, the tiles, all insulation, electrics, heater, lighting, and an outside water feature (!!!).
I can SERIOUSLY recommend Wickes. Mine is uPVC, double glazed, and each piece I added seemed to make the whole thing stronger! They even have an excellent help-line, staffed by the guys who design the things!
It took me a week of evenings to do the footings, another week to do the bricks, another to erect it and roof it, and another to "finish" it.
Have a go. It's easy, and, at that sort of price, I bet it does add £5000 to your house! I've been quoted £11,500 to rebuild it to the same standard by another company!!( They were there to quote me for some new uPVC windows).
Alcazar :
Old 16 October 2002, 06:24 PM
bros2
Scooby Regular

I've never voted for the Conservatories, and I never will. The thought of John Major and Edwina Currie just makes me .... oops, wrong thread.

Seriously, probably add some value if done properly, but if done badly, might even reduce value/saleability. I went to view a house once where they'd just had a conservatory done. Very proud of it, but when they took me in to show me, the rain had come and bu$$er me, was it loud! They'd used corrugated plastic for the roof, which is light and cheap but amplifies noise like you wouldn't believe.

I didn't make an offer on that house - not the only reason, but it put me right off.

bros
Old 16 October 2002, 06:57 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

A well sized, designed and placed conservatory will often increase the value of a house more than the costs of it. Of course if you just tack one on and punch a hole through any old room this may not be the case.

BTW, save yourself hassle and phone the Local Authority to see if you need planning permission and a building warrant
Old 16 October 2002, 07:41 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Most domestic "conservatories" are ugly, plastic contraptions tacked onto the side of a house, wrecking the architectural lines. They are relatively expensive and in my view reduce the desireability of the property. A common way of getting an extension quickly and with less capital outlay.

A proper, stand alone or passage-linked victorian style Orangery is the only thing of that ilk I would consider, but they are much dearer and require space.

Old 16 October 2002, 08:35 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Talking

I would recommend an Everest conservatory, they might be expensive but well worth it!

AJ

oh and tell them I recommended them and I'll share the commission! my dad works for them!!!