Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Does a conservatory add value to house price?

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2005, 02:39 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a conservatory add value to house price?

As title really. On average does one get the cost of a conservatory back in terms of added value?

Thanks
Deep
Old 03 December 2005, 03:16 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it does, but not as much as a brick built extension. mine is 12 ft square and is freezing and in the summer it is boiling even with blinds. i paid £6000 for mine and wish i had got a proper extension for the same money.
i dont think conservatorys last for ever and they can end up costing a new buyer a lot of money maintaining it....mine is 5 years old and i have had to remove the floor because its leaking
Old 03 December 2005, 03:20 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

I'd say "no", you won't get the full £ value. You will probably get a quicker sale though. IMHO of course
Old 03 December 2005, 03:32 PM
abbiesdad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markr1963
I'd say "no", you won't get the full £ value. You will probably get a quicker sale though. IMHO of course
as said ... makes the house more attractive though...
Old 03 December 2005, 03:34 PM
abbiesdad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
it does, but not as much as a brick built extension. mine is 12 ft square and is freezing and in the summer it is boiling even with blinds. i paid £6000 for mine and wish i had got a proper extension for the same money.
i dont think conservatorys last for ever and they can end up costing a new buyer a lot of money maintaining it....mine is 5 years old and i have had to remove the floor because its leaking
where can you get a 12 ft square ext for £6k... you will be lucky
Old 03 December 2005, 03:48 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

£500/sq ft sounds expensive
Old 03 December 2005, 04:14 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

it does, but not as much as a brick built extension. mine is 12 ft square and is freezing
Thats why ours has radiators

Trending Topics

Old 03 December 2005, 04:52 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

If your house had an amazing view like a river or tranquil landscapes then the conservatory would add a good bit of value, but not if you live in an estate with pikeys and caravans.
Old 03 December 2005, 05:23 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Interesting. It may not add as much value as an extension but there is also less probs with planning etc and also costs less. Sara, I suppose with radiators, underfloor heating and uv absorbing glass it should be more comfortable in summer and winter.

Mine would add useful space and not just be for show ie I'd link it to a back reception room to add useful additional dining space. Used like that, if your house is in the right price bracket you should see the £10k or so back shouldn't you?
Old 03 December 2005, 07:09 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

i have a large rad in the conservatory and thick insulation under the flooring. i also have pine cladding with insulation behind it on the inside walls and proper blinds......and its still freezing

in the summer it is like an oven, really stifling(sp). if i have been out and locked the adjoining door to my sitting room its unbearable, there is no air, its like being locked in a car in a heatwave.

when i first got it i didnt get the tinted roof so i needed sunglasses to go in the bladdy thing................saying that i would rather have it than not, but with hindsight i would have had a brick extension.

a conservatorys main selling point is that you can enjoy the outside from the inside.
as i have had problems with mine i dont think i would want to buy a house with one, you never know what you might be letting yourself into.
at least with a proper extension you have some gaurantee that the building is sound

i wish i had the under floor heating but it would make the height of the damp course wrong...and another thing, they are very easy to break into

Last edited by sarasquares; 03 December 2005 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03 December 2005, 07:24 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I'm confused. I understand why it gets so hot ie greenhouse but why is it so cold with a rad etc. Do you have a ghost??
Old 03 December 2005, 07:25 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
I'm confused. I understand why it gets so hot ie greenhouse but why is it so cold with a rad etc. Do you have a ghost??
Could be something to do with the fact that 99% of it is GLASS!!

Makes a house more saleable if done right .............. they age quickly and look awful

Pete
Old 03 December 2005, 07:30 PM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

buy a proper one
im in mine now
its 20.5 sq metres
and cost a lot of money
but at least it was done right
Old 03 December 2005, 07:30 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

i have a large rad in the conservatory and thick insulation under the flooring. i also have pine cladding with insulation behind it on the inside walls and proper blinds......and its still freezing

in the summer it is like an oven, really stifling(sp). if i have been out and locked the adjoining door to my sitting room its unbearable, there is no air, its like being locked in a car in a heatwave.

when i first got it i didnt get the tinted roof so i needed sunglasses to go in the bladdy thing................saying that i would rather have it than not, but with hindsight i would have had a brick extension.

a conservatorys main selling point is that you can enjoy the outside from the inside.
as i have had problems with mine i dont think i would want to buy a house with one, you never know what you might be letting yourself into.
at least with a proper extension you have some gaurantee that the building is sound

i wish i had the under floor heating but it would make the height of the damp course wrong...and another thing, they are very easy to break into

You can get some white powder called Coolglass whiuch you mix up and spray on the outside of the conservatory, especially on the roof, and this will greatly reduce glare and heat. Needs respraying every now and again if it rains very heavily. I made up some sheets of that curtain stuff that is used to keep out the sun and hang those down some inside window panels.

HTH. dl. and yes I think a decent conservatory does add value.
Old 03 December 2005, 08:58 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
As title really. On average does one get the cost of a conservatory back in terms of added value?

Thanks
Deep
I would say yes and i have proof in my case, but not the full value. We erected a huge one on our old house it was 20ft x 13ft and cost as much as as a new scoob, but we used it alot so in my eyes was worth it. When we had out house valued for putting it on the market all valuations came in at around 10-15k more than an exact house down the road that didnt have one, so in my eyes if it is a good one you can get around 50-70% back on it. If it is just a piddly one that people will not use and just leave their old shoes in then i dont think any value is added. I think that a brick based extension adds the most though.
J
Old 03 December 2005, 09:50 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Our's has put at least 20K onto ours mind you it is big and warm
Old 03 December 2005, 10:41 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone.

Jimbo, mine won't be as big as yours but won't be a place to collect shoes. It will be used as a dining room so the dining room as is can be just a reception room for sitting etc. If that makes sense!! If I get 75% of the value back after enjoying it for 5 years that would be fine. I don't want it to be complete money down the drain. I want to get some money back for it after I've enjoyed it
Old 04 December 2005, 09:42 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

we were looking into this as well.

we were told that with a reasonable size one (ie not a tiny one with no room nor one the size of a barn stuck on the house) you should recoup the cost come sale time and make the house more saleable.

we had some quotes of around 15k -18k

this was going to run the length of the house and have a depth of around 10ft iirc.
Old 04 December 2005, 09:55 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Ours put more money onto the value than it was worth (got it at trade price ) Mine's 5m x 4m

Got a radiator in there too - not COLD in there at the moment, but TBH, it ain't warm either!!! I find the floor cold, but that's because I've got Laminate flooring in there (and it's cold all the time!! ) Mine's also half-brick, with tinted roof (not that it makes much difference IMHO)

If it's done properly, then is can add value. Mine has, so I'm chuffed

Dan
Old 04 December 2005, 12:29 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks.