Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bass Guitar

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2002, 11:32 AM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi i was asking the other week about 7 string guitars, well my brother got one and now im thinking of learning to play bass i have never even picked one up befor so what should i look out for what should i get etc etc any help would be great ta

Mike
Old 15 October 2002, 12:34 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Look for a second hand bass. The cheap 'copies' aren't as nice to play and dont sound as good. If you're not completely sure about learning there's no point is spending loads of cash on an exensive new bass anyway. Try and buy from a music shop but if you are buying privately take someone along to check the guitar out for you (make sure the neck is straight, pickups work etc.)

A good starting point would be a Washburn. I have an old Vox 1 piece bass that i got second hand (swapped for a 40 quid amp). It's the best bass i've played so far.

Amp wise, get yourself a small new practice amp to start with cuz you can move it around the house and it'll make it easier for you to practice and it won't take up that much space if you decide to stop playing for a while.

The whole lot including new strings/leads/tuition books etc shouldn't cost you any more than about 250-300 quid and you'll get it back if you decide to sell it.
Old 15 October 2002, 12:41 PM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

is there much difference between bass guitars then depending on the type of music i want to play ?? also is there any with shorter necks ?? and maybe a bit lighter ??
Old 15 October 2002, 12:56 PM
Avril
Scooby Regular

I have an electro-acoustic bass if you need a second-hand one. t was a birthday present and I've never got round to using it.
Old 15 October 2002, 01:43 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

The differences between bass sounds aren't as big as the differences in 6 string guitars. Something to do with the strings being thicker, further from the pickups and not having as big a frequency range.

Most of the 'fine tuning' for a suitable bass noise can be done on the tone/pickup selector controls on the bass itself. It's only with really cheap basses that you'd maybe find difficulty in getting the sound that you like, also with better basses you'd find it difficult to find a sound that you didn't like.

Avril metioned an electro acoustic bass. It would save you having to shell out for an amp until you were sure that you wanted to take it up seriously. My younger brother has been playing bass in a band for about 10 years now and uses an electro acoustic bass at home for practicing and the electrics for gigs.

Acoustic basses usually have a really nice 'warm' sound to them but aren't really as versatile as an electric for different sounds, so maybe the electro acoustic might be a good compromise for yourself.
Old 15 October 2002, 01:52 PM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

thank u for the info. Just to let you know it would be used for metal and all sub types of it is it easier to play than a normal guitar ??
Old 15 October 2002, 01:54 PM
muppet paster
Scooby Regular

When i worked at the Bass Centre, we were importing these budget P-bass copys badged as Fernandez. Out of the box they were dire, one good set up later they really made good basses for the cash (about £200 new). I'd recomend one of these if you can find one. Yamaha also make some tidy budget basses.

But the Zon Legacy II was always my fave basses in the place, shame it was priced at a mere £2500 (that's 10 years back!(still cheaper than the Alembics mind...))
Old 15 October 2002, 02:16 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Muppetpaster - was that the Bass Centre in Wapping?

I used to go there for strings and things, but mainly to play with all the nice basses I was never likely to afford..

Out of all the basses I tried, the nicest was a Musicman Stingray.. an absolutely fantastic instrument. As Marty said, it was difficult to get a tone you didn't like out of it, and it played superbly.

What a great shop - a massive contrast to any of the central london music shops in terms of attitude and customer service.

Cheers,

Alex

My first bass was a westone, and it played pretty well when set up properly.

[Edited by AlexM - 10/15/2002 2:18:22 PM]
Old 15 October 2002, 02:30 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

hmmm.. if you're gonna play metal stuff on it i'd go for an electric. Last time i played bass in a metal band i used both a cheap nasty Marlin and a decent 5 string Tanglewood. To be honest, nobody could really tell the difference except me and that was only cuz i was playing it.

Without trying to sound nasty towards metal bass players, as there are a few good ones (Harris, Burton, Newstead etc), you can pretty much get away with any bass as long as it has decent pickups. After all you won't be moving away from the bottom string very often
Old 15 October 2002, 02:33 PM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

well atleast it will be easy to play hehe i will venture into other types of music but roc/metal is what i like so seems silly to play anything else really IMHO
Old 15 October 2002, 02:38 PM
muppet paster
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'd love to say it was the bass centre LA, but no, it was the Bass Centre in Brum, i was only there about a year before getting sacked for too much rock 'n' roll...
Old 15 October 2002, 02:38 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

More seriously though...given what you've said so far,

I'd recommend getting yourself a decent 2nd hand 5 string electric bass. Not sure what make but i'm reckon the westone\washburns already mentioned would do just fine.

(If you're really lucky you'll find a beat up but fully functional Cliff Burton style Rickenbacker for 90 quid like i did )
Old 15 October 2002, 02:44 PM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

i was offered a cheap custom using what seemed like a strat body and neck and that was nice due to it been light and having a short neck but as i know nowt about em i didnt do anything
Old 15 October 2002, 02:51 PM
muppet paster
Scooby Regular

Jangle jangle.

Sorry automatic reaction to the word Rickenbacker!
Old 15 October 2002, 03:54 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

You might find that the better quality basses are actually heavier than the cheap ones (take gibson guitars for axample). Cheap copies are normally make from chipboard or some other rally nasty wood whereas the better guitar bodies are made from solid wood. If the weight of the guitar is balanced right then it doesn't matter too much how heavy it is. I've played some basses that are really nice to play standing up but a real b1+ch to play sitting down. Best trying both when you're looking for one.

Without trying to sound bias toward BC Rich again (though i am), they use the same size guitar bodies for their guitars and basses so they are usually quite light. I think they make them from Alder IIRC.

One word of warning though... if you're learning don't buy something like a flying-v, explorer or any other weird and wonderful shape cuz you might have to stand up to play it.
Old 15 October 2002, 03:56 PM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt buy a flying v unless i grow a mullet or have a blonde perm
Old 15 October 2002, 05:44 PM
muppet paster
Scooby Regular