Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Guitars for beginner

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2000, 01:07 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have decided at having a go at learning to play the guitar and been recommended a Yamaha Pacifica 112 as being suitable. Anyone come across this guitar or know if it is likely to be suitable.

Brendan
Old 11 December 2000, 02:52 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Brendan,

Nothing wrong at all with the Pacifica series. They seem to be a popular choice and suit all capabilities.

As you get more proficient you will find that it's a very personal thing. At first they all seem the same but you will get favorites.

My advice is to make sure you try a few styles before you buy. Try the Yamaha then try a good quality Epiphone as a comparison. These are pretty different guitars and may help you to appreciate the difference.

Hope this helps and happy strumming!!

blubs
Old 11 December 2000, 03:38 PM
Oz
Scooby Regular

There are a number of starter packs available which include a guitar, a practise amp, a tuner and a beginner's book. I believe Marshall, Fender, Yamaha and Peavey all do these.

Recent guitar mag voted the Fender Squire pack as being the best - priced at £199.99 it include a Fender Squire Stratocaster, a practise amp, a guitar tuner and a beginner's guitar video. Definitely very good value.
Old 11 December 2000, 04:18 PM
Akira
Scooby Regular

If it's Guitars you're after, I may be able to help. My Brother run's a small music shop and am sure he could sort you out a good beginners deal with bit's thrown in etc.

If you're interested or just want advise, drop us a mail and i'll pass it on.

Cheers
Chris
Old 11 December 2000, 04:28 PM
Buzz Lightyear
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I bought a Pacifica a couple of years back. It's fine for the money and won various awards, but it did need the frets (buzzing strings) setting correctly which the shop did for me. Having spent years as a kid playing classical, on hindsight I would prefer something with a wider neck.