Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Avignon Holiday

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2002, 01:03 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've decided to take a fortnight break in the Avignon area of France next August. I'm taking the Scoob, so..........

Are there any recommended routes to take?

Any memorable sites to visit?

I understand that SUL is freely available from most petrol stattions?

Will I need to remove my Blinders from the view of the authorities?

Any recommended stopover points for the journey down?

What's the car security situation in that area?

Questions, questions, but thanks in advance
Old 13 October 2002, 02:38 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

Pont du Gard is nice - take your swimming stuff as you can go for a dip in the river and even dive off the rocks if you're brave.
Nimes is nice - Roman Amphitheatre.
Lovely mountain villages with ancient monastries.
Old 13 October 2002, 07:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Cool

From Avignon, you're right in the centre of a fantastic wine region. Try "Cairanne", "Vacqueyras", "Gigondas", and, if you're feeling flush, "Chateauneuf du Pape". All will give you tasters b4 buying!, and GOOD wine can be had for as little as £3 per bottle!!!
"Lirac" from the opposite bank of the Rhone is also worth a look. Buy it in the local supermarket.
You're not far from Orange with it's Roman amphitheatre, and Isle sur la Sorgue is just a gorgeous town set on the many tributaries of the River Sorgue, all clear and fast flowing. Here, and at nearby Fontaine de Vaucluse, you can eat at restaurants actually built out over the river.
Marseille is available by fast train if you fancy a big city.
Also the Camargue is nice if you're into wildlife/birds(feathered variety).
As far as route down, try the A26, then A6 towards Lyon. Then, if you have time, go onto the "Route bis", which will take you from east of Lyon, near Amberieu en Bugey, via Bourgoin Jaillieu, and Romans/ Bourg de Peage, on quiet, well signed country roads almost to Avignon. Bl**dy good twisties, I LOVE 'em!!!
A different route back will take you almost to Lyon, then across France to the other side of Paris, b4 joinong the A28 at Rouen for a quick trip back to Calais.
If you want any detailed info, mail me as per my profile. I'll be happy to do detailed itineraries,or just more details. It's one of my Fave areas of France, and I've been loads of times.
Lastly, Avignon is a bit of a crime area, so watch your car, and bags etc when in public. Having said that, we've never had any probs, just read abt others in the local paper down there.
Alcazar.
Old 13 October 2002, 07:53 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

>>>Are there any recommended routes to take?<<<

The motorways are in very, very, good condition and not prone to the same amount of roadworks you are used to in England. 130km/h limit in good weather, 110 in the wet. I would not recommend you take the A6/A7 motorway going south on a Monday - it's full of artics and they make some dicey moves. The rest of the week is usually lighter viz the artics. I don't do a lot of driving in the North of France so wouldn't want to give you a bum steer ('scuse the pun) with bad info. In the centre, the area around Nevers is quite nice - lots of great scenery and mountain roads to rattle along. Further on down, you cannot, simply cannot go wrong around the Avignon/Provence area. I have folks living down there and no matter what route you take, you will enjoy the scenery, the road, the driving experience, the hospitality of the locals in the villages, and the wine (!)

I dunno if you speak any French but even a little bit of effort goes a long, long, way.

>>>Any memorable sites to visit?<<<

Avignon is very touristy. Orange is quite cool and definitely worth a visit, the Roman theatre there is okay but was under heavy re-construction when I was there in July. Visit the wine region - Chateauneuf du Pape, Vaqueras, Rasteau, Vaison La Romaine. It's all quite glorious ! Head down to Montpellier, Nimes and maybe along the gold coast to Cannes, Nice and over into Monaco ($$$). On the other hand, head up Mont Ventoux (1,910m high) for a fun experience...on the way up to the top the road is perfect, suddenly it sorta stops and turns to a class C road and there's no barrier on the side - vertigo got me there - just a sheer drop! If you are lucky and catch a clear morning, you'll see the French, Swiss and Italian Alps all at the same time. Plus, the coffee in the restaurant at the top is....mmmmm. It's a great experience. Heading down from there is great - take the Gorges de la Nesque (awesome) down to Sault. You'll love driving around the gorge. Pity you are making the trip this late in the year as the area around Sault is full of lavender fields and is quite beautiful around July/August.

>>>I understand that SUL is freely available from most petrol stattions?<<<

No problem at all. Approx 1.09 Euros/litre as I write.

>>>Will I need to remove my Blinders from the view of the authorities?<<<

Um...dunno what Blinders are so can't help you there m8. Sorry !

>>>What's the car security situation in that area?<<<

Avignon itself is fairly heavily, if discreetly, policed. Further on down (*especially* Marseilles) park your car in one of the car parks which is patrolled by security, or in a hotel car park (also watched). Car thefts are notorious there and your scoob might find itself on the way to Algiers at the drop of a hat. I wouldn't even take my old Ford Probe GT down there. Marseilles, quite frankly, I avoid like the plague in a car and take the train instead.

Hope this helps.
Old 14 October 2002, 10:40 AM
Amen Corner
Scooby Regular

Lastly, Avignon is a bit of a crime area, so watch your car, and bags etc when in public
You need to watch out for carjackers too. As I found out about 3 weeks ago. Fortunately an Elise quite easily out-accelerates a rusty old Clio, but my car still bears the scars of the attempt.
Old 14 October 2002, 11:49 AM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Isle sur la Sorgue and Gordes get my vote!

Have a good one

Andy
Old 14 October 2002, 12:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Amen Corner: Now you mention it, I remember that there was a case of car-jacking just b4 I came home from that area this summer, end of August time, AND it was kids/youths in a Clio!!
Apparently, this German couple stopped at a bread shop somewhere north of Avignon, in a village, and the guy went into the shop to get bread. Car full of youths pulls up behind, two get out, and they drag the woman out from the pasenger seat, and roar off in the Beemer!
By the time I came home, the cops still hadn't found the car. Scary
Alcazar
Old 14 October 2002, 12:53 PM
Amen Corner
Scooby Regular

Angry

Interesting. This was two guys (probably in their early 30s)in a Clio who rammed me at a set of traffic lights back in September. Didn't see them coming as it was late at night and they had no headlights on.

I have driven a lot round that area though, and this was the first time anything like that has happened to me.
Old 14 October 2002, 04:12 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

This is great...... VERY interesting reading..... keep it coming (if there's more )
Old 15 October 2002, 03:06 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

ref security - avignon is apalling - do NOT leave your car in one of the car parks outside the city walls at any time - it is certain to be targetted.

It is hard to thread your way into the walled town and the hotels etc have little parking space but don't be tempted to leave the car outside the walls - particularly at night.

If you do and it is broken in to , you can expect little sympathy from the police - they are fed up of the paperwork involved and will sometimes refuse to do a crime report if they think you have been less than careful !

A speciality is to hack the wiring loom to pieces if they can't steal the vehicle or find nothing worth nicking inside - mindless!

Also be aware that the 'undesireables' sleeping on benches and drinking rough wine etc are not to be approached and can be quite violent. Unfortunately the town seems to be a magnet for these types.

Finally - watch out for foreign legionnaires who occasionally get the day off and go on a binge in avignon - you don't want to be sharing a bar with them!

I have spent many years working in and around avignon and after some bad experiences would sadly not return there by choice - much prefer going a little further to beziers or arles etc.

Paul W
Old 15 October 2002, 04:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Agree. I'd not use it as a base, although if you've never been, it is worth a day.
The car parks outside the walls are OK during the day in season, as they are all pay, and are patrolled, esp those along the banks of the Rhone.
I'm pretty sure the local area (Alpes/Provence) has a website for tourists , so you could look up hotels/ B&B etc. I usually "Ask" Jeeves for a site like that.
Old 15 October 2002, 04:30 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Gotta agree with that the Vacleuse area for roads & scenery but when going down some of them twisty hill roads ( ) you almost get fed up of braking, cornering, braking, cornering - especially if you're following some Dutch tourists

Was at Seguret in June & it was a glorious area - would defo go back again Only saw 3 French scoobs - White in Vasion, Silver near Orange & another White in Aix.

Old 15 October 2002, 10:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Cool

Following Dutch tourists is Ok if you're still there when they stop for a rest, and 3 gorgeous young blondes get out!
Alcazar
PS: This was the area where I kept being asked if it was OK for people to photograph the Scoob.
Alcazar
Old 19 October 2002, 05:11 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Many, many thanks to all who have contributed valuable information in this thread.
Old 19 October 2002, 10:19 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

You're welcome m8. I'll be down in the Rhone-Alpes region again next weekend for a few days and then again at Christmas. If there's anything I can help you out with, just give us a shout, if not, I might see ya on the roads somewhere next August Blue Mica MY02 STi, with TTW plates, flashing his lights and waving at you !
Old 29 December 2002, 07:10 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

*bump*

Again, many many thanks for the information above, this is now booked.

Getting the Hovercraft Dover-Calais (10:30am) on the Friday -

Does anyone have any recommendations for overnight stays? Hopefully about 3-4 hours from Calais?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited by BuRR - 12/29/2002 7:10:35 PM]
Old 30 December 2002, 01:33 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Sorry about bumping this, but these threads drop quickly on here, don't they?
Old 30 December 2002, 01:48 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

If you are going East of Paris on the way down, 3-4 hours will get you to Reims/Epernay , the *real* champagne region of France.

There are a number of nice places to stay in Epernay, and it's not far off the beaten track.

If you are going down the west, that sort of time could put you in Le Mans - or go through there and stop for the night at Tours, on the River Loire.

Both of these will extend your overall journey, but who wants to just see france from a motorway ??

Cheers,
Steve
Old 30 December 2002, 02:36 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Got a car full, so not that bothered about sight-seeing tbh - just want to get down there. I'll have 2 weeks of running around Provence once I'm there.

Is the east of Paris the way to go? I would say either Reims or Orleans is about our range for the night. (both of these towns are from memory when I looked at the map last night)

Thanks for the advice, btw.
Old 30 December 2002, 08:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Try this:
Calais, A26, Reims, join A4, Chalons, rejoin A26, Troyes, join A5, Langres, join A31, Dijon, join A39, Bourg-en-Bresse, join A40, leave it at j7, join N75, remain on N75 until Lancin, fork right onto D522 towards Bourgoin-en-Jallieu, By this time you're on a route called "Route Bis", which is well signed, and leads to Montpellier, and Marseille. Eventually it splits, and you follow Marseille, it takes you almost to Avignon.
The last bit, after the motorway takes you on quiet country roads, but easy to follow, as signed "Route Bis". Some LOVELY views through fields of sunflowers and lavender, and good twisties.
As far as hotels are concerned, I usually have the caravan, but without it, I just drive until I've had enough, or it's getting later, and stop at a Campanile/Ibis/Climat etc with nice restaurant attached. All the above have hotels in Britain, so a quick search will find website, and a request will provide a brochure with full listing of hotels. All I do is pick the nearest one to wherever I am when I/the family have had enough.
Alternatively, head for the nearest big town, and if it's on/near to a motorway, there'll be hotels a-plenty.
Do remember that the French tend to stop about 6pm, after that, the hotels fill up quickly.
Alcazar
Old 30 December 2002, 09:14 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for that. At the moment, we're looking at having the overnighter in Troyes.
Old 12 January 2003, 05:49 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

*bump* with the neverending search for information.

Thanks to all btw
Old 14 February 2003, 11:53 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

and one more for the weekend, sir

Any more pointers?

Two questions though.... we're staying in Camponiles overnight on the journey down and back. On the way down, we're staying just south of Troyes, and the way back near Reims.

Any pointers, please?
Old 15 February 2003, 11:28 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Go for dinner to Gérard Boyer in Reims, best food and service I have ever had, anywhere.

For drinks, the "Martin" on the square (place d'erlon) is nice and champagne is very cheap
Old 15 February 2003, 11:30 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I have never seen a petrol station in France that does not have SUL (98 RON).
Old 15 February 2003, 10:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Smile

Nor have I, and that includes utterly cheap two-pump affairs at village supermarkets well off the beaten track!
Alcazar